Steve Downie

Hawk

Lightning have a new owner, and are planing to rebuild. New coach and GM to be named. Downie had a pretty good year, is a RFA, 24 yrs old. Cap hit 09-10, 600K. Could we possibly steal this guy with an offer sheet, before the new GM and Coach have a chance to settle in. Would absolutely, love this!! :thumbsup:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5180

You want to sign a RFA and give up compensation off of 1 season? Prior to this season Downie was considered a disgrace to the game of hockey. There are way too many more established players available for the Sabres to take a run at than a possible 1 season wonder.

I'm pretty sure even an idiot GM would realize that Steve Downie is a player to build around in Tampa, not a player to trade away.

MY point is that he is a RFA. With his storied past and the compensation they would get from the Sabres in helping them rebuild, might just tip the scales in them letting him go. Besides the new coach and GM have no ties to this kid. They might want to get their own style of players on the team.

Edit: He wears #9 which may be available :rolleyes:

You want to sign a RFA and give up compensation off of 1 season? Prior to this season Downie was considered a disgrace to the game of hockey. There are way too many more established players available for the Sabres to take a run at than a possible 1 season wonder.

The past is the past. Besides the Sabres like one season wonders ;)

Edit: If we sign him for 1 - 2 million a year, Tampa only gets a #2 pick. I think its worth it.

OFFER Compensation

$660,000 or below None

Over $660,000 to $1 million Third round pick

Over $1.0 million to $2.0 million Second round pick

Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million 1st and 3rd round pick

Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million (2)1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Over $5 million (4)1st round picks

How many Sabres do you want in the box at the same time?

Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but that's Lindy Ruff logic.

The worst penalties I can remember this season were stick penalties. I'll trade some of those for roughing and charging any day of the week.

I hate Steve Downie and I don't care if he's developed into a good player in Tampa. He was a dirty scumbag in Philly and I don't want him in Buffalo

+1

How many power plays did Kaleta create for the Sabres last season?

Numerous, but he also enhanced his reputation. Put him together with a well-known cheap-shot artist, and I fear that the "penalty balance" will swing the other way. Heavily. I'm all for toughness, but I'm not sure that's what Downie brings.

The past is the past. Besides the Sabres like one season wonders ;)

Edit: If we sign him for 1 - 2 million a year, Tampa only gets a #2 pick. I think its worth it.

OFFER Compensation

$660,000 or below None

Over $660,000 to $1 million Third round pick

Over $1.0 million to $2.0 million Second round pick

Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million 1st and 3rd round pick

Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million (2)1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Over $5 million (4)1st round picks

Those are old numbers, these are new:

• Offer sheet < $860,000 annually: No compensation
  • Offer sheet between $860,000 - $1.3 million annually: 3rd round pick
  • Offer sheet between $1.3 million - $2.6 million annually: 2nd round pick
  • Offer sheet between $2.6 million - $4 million annually: 1st and 3rd round pick
  • Offer sheet between $4 million - $5.2 million annually: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
  • Offer sheet between $5.2 million - $6.5 million annually: Two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd round pick
  • Offer sheet > $6.5 million annually: Four 1st round picks

I'm pretty sure even an idiot GM would realize that Steve Downie is a player to build around in Tampa, not a player to trade away.

Besides, if Buffalo was going to go after a Tampa player, and judging by their previous record, it would be Marty St. Louis. Put him together with Ennis and Gerbe and you have the mini line.... :rolleyes:

was unaware that he'd (reportedly) become an actual hockey player while in tampa.

he's a guy that i filed away in the "POS" file a while back - i see no need to remove him therefrom.

i mean, really, jabbing a helpless jason blake (that's jason blake, folks) in the eye with your thumb?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05jGbovJah8

and who could forget this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgR7gJBGfk&feature=related

i could go on, but, seriously, the guy's a sociopath on skates. no thanks.

+1

Then again, anything on the down side is possible with Darcy Regier. I just hope he proves us wrong this next season.

Archived