Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder

FearTheReaper

26 members have voted

1. 1. What are their fates for next season?

• Both resign
    • Both walk
    • Lydman stays, Tallinder goes
    • Tallinder stays, Lydman goes

What will happen?

I think both players showed up this year, ready to work and regain form, and both succeeded. Hank developed insane chemistry with Tyler, and Toni held down a solid spot on the 2nd pair. Blocking shots and hitting guys along the way.

I like both guys, i want both to stay. But i feel Toni is leaving. The chemistry between Tallinder and Myers is too good to break up, and i dont think Darcy can pay Toni.

I would like to see both leave if Darcy was going to sign a major impact Dman. You know the chances of that happening, so this is what we have. And i dont mind it.

Lydman is a very average defenseman with average puck skills, average shot and average effort. He'll be gone for sure. I think they'll try to resign Tallinder at the right price, but they won't pay him more than 4 million per season imo.

Very true. Hank is worth 3million to 3.5 in my view. No more than that.

Toni will end up making 2.5 to 3 mil. To much to stay here. Especially if Darcy has "big chances" to make. Ha, lets see it Regier!

Viewpoint from a arm chair GM! :) Another factor to consider is durability. Toni is durable and is above average in play. I think Hanks previous shoulder injury is a long term question mark. Rivet I believe has had two injurys in what seems like a short time in Buf. I think Rivet will not be ready to return to the lineup for quite some time. Our core defensemen at times seem vulnerable and a bit thin. Butler isn't ready to become a top defenseman. Sekera is very good at times but it's too early for him to become a core defensemen. Weber, no... Both Hank and Toni put up a strong effort this year. Hank has the Myers factor in his favor. I think Darcy will work on a core forward trade. I am going out on a limb and say Darcy will resign them both to two year deals.

personally unless they're both playing on 1.5 mil/yr contracts i don't want either of them, and even then at least one of them would be my "7th."

You are seriously undervaluing them. I am not that big a fan of Tallinder's, but they both qualify as 2nd pairing dmen.

I am new to this sabres forum, but I have been reading these blogs for sometime now.. But first off looking at the defense as a whole, Rivet has got to go. Was not thrilled with his performance this past season as it seemed like the other teams blew blast him constanstly when he was on the ice. Now for Montador, he was playing solid at the end of the year, but his mental lapses make him a liability. He is cheap and I would keep him as a 6th, 7th defenseman. I think that the sabres will re-sign only one out of Lydman and Tallinder and it will probably be Tallinder due to his fine chemistry with Myers, but I could see Lydman being re-signed for a cheaper price then Tallinder only if Regier goes out and gets a free agent d-man. Though it is very unlike Regier to go out and get a popular free agent, Volchenkov has caught my eye as a very stable, physical, stay at home d-man who if paired with Myers could potentially be one of the top defensive pairs in the league. Volchenkov is a great shot-blocker and would probably claim a role similar to what Mckee's role used to be. I have not watched enough of Volchenkov to know if he has got enough heart but he would add much needed grit and size to our team. Another option to signing a free agent d-man could be Joe Corvo who could quarterback a power play unit and would hopefully help our horrible power play. Corvo is pretty solid in his own end too, as I live in Raleigh and have seen him play a few times. I would be pretty pleased if we went keep either Lydman or Tallinder with an addition to a free agent.

Defense if Lydman is signed

Myers Volchenkov

Lydman Sekera

Butler Weber

Montador

Defense if Tallinder is signed

Myers Tallinder

Corvo Weber

Butler Sekera

Montador

I am new to this sabres forum, but I have been reading these blogs for sometime now.. But first off looking at the defense as a whole, Rivet has got to go. Was not thrilled with his performance this past season as it seemed like the other teams blew blast him constanstly when he was on the ice. Now for Montador, he was playing solid at the end of the year, but his mental lapses make him a liability. He is cheap and I would keep him as a 6th, 7th defenseman. I think that the sabres will re-sign only one out of Lydman and Tallinder and it will probably be Tallinder due to his fine chemistry with Myers, but I could see Lydman being re-signed for a cheaper price then Tallinder only if Regier goes out and gets a free agent d-man. Though it is very unlike Regier to go out and get a popular free agent, Volchenkov has caught my eye as a very stable, physical, stay at home d-man who if paired with Myers could potentially be one of the top defensive pairs in the league. Volchenkov is a great shot-blocker and would probably claim a role similar to what Mckee's role used to be. I have not watched enough of Volchenkov to know if he has got enough heart but he would add much needed grit and size to our team. Another option to signing a free agent d-man could be Joe Corvo who could quarterback a power play unit and would hopefully help our horrible power play. Corvo is pretty solid in his own end too, as I live in Raleigh and have seen him play a few times. I would be pretty pleased if we went keep either Lydman or Tallinder with an addition to a free agent.

Defense if Lydman is signed

Myers Volchenkov

Lydman Sekera

Butler Weber

Montador

Defense if Tallinder is signed

Myers Tallinder

Corvo Weber

Butler Sekera

Montador

First off, welcome to the board. Good post.

I would LOVE to see a PUNISHING dman like Volchenkov on this team. I don't think he's going to resign in Ottawa, so he'll be testing the market.

For a commodity like him, I see him commanding 4.5+ per season. For 25 million dollars, he could be signed to a 5 year deal. A steep price to cough up, but it'd be an investment worth taking in my opinion.

If we brought in Volchenkov for a yearly hit of 5 million, we'd have to watch our cap in the long term. Myers is up for a contract at the end of 2013 season. Assuming he continues at the rate he is going, I could see Darcy signing him to a huge deal, somewhere in the ball park of 7-8 years at roughly 5.5 million per year (similar to Duncan Keith's contract extension).

There's alot going on in the decision making of whom to sign and whom not to sign. However, I believe there are certain players that are worth going out and investing in as corner stones for your team. With Myers and Volchenkov as the basis of our blue line, I'd feel comfortable moving on. Volchenkov would be quite an imposing force in front of Miller, blocking shots and clearing the crease.

I know that eveyone is entitled to a "whipping boy" :D, but I continue to be amazed at how much Lydman is undervalued here. Yes he is known to have the occasional brain fart, but he is far and away the best blueliner they have in terms of defensive zone play.

I know that eveyone is entitled to a "whipping boy" :D, but I continue to be amazed at how much Lydman is undervalued here. Yes he is known to have the occasional brain fart, but he is far and away the best blueliner they have in terms of defensive zone play.

Look at who you are comparing him with.

Lydman, Tallinder, amd Myers were our best defenceman period. Take a look at the season statistics if you don't believe this. Why would Darcy get rid of two top core defenceman? The only possiable reason would be to much $$. If we bring in a top defenceman, it would be better if he replaces one of our poored defenceman. Than our defence gets better.

+1.

Lydman, Tallinder, amd Myers were our best defenceman period. Take a look at the season statistics if you don't believe this. Why would Darcy get rid of two top core defenceman? The only possiable reason would be to much $$. If we bring in a top defenceman, it would be better if he replaces one of our poored defenceman. Than our defence gets better.

I like alot of your points.

But if your going to improve the d, salary needs to be dumped or moved. Ideally getting Rivet outta here would be the best move. But he cannot be traded. So what are the other options?

Well getting rid of both Toni and Hank giving you over 5 million to spend on any Dman in the FA market. This would be a good way to change the "look" of the D, because when Rivet walks next season, you'd then have any chance to sign a FA with his money.

In a fantasy world, we could try and sign Scott Nedimeyer. But this isn't going to happen. I however would like Volchenkov if the price is fitting.

Why would you wanna get rid of 2 of our best Dmen you ask? Well because of their salaries. These 2 guys aren't going to be playing forever. And you always need to keep the future in mind. That being said, if we used their combined salaries on one guy, we then create a roster spot for someone who wouldn't be much salary. Someone from Portland. Mark Andre Gragnani.

I think he's ready for the prime time. The kid is an amazing skater, he is an eqally as good passer. He has good hockey sense, good stick work, he blocks shots! and he has pretty solid defensive positioning. Now he does have some flaws to his game. His hitting needs some work, as does his neutral zone play.

However if we truly want the D to improve. Then droping a bust,imo, like Sekera and giving Gragnani a shot makes sense to me. Mark is an RFA this summer, and is 23. Still very young, and still has alot of potential. He isn't going make much. Less than 1 mil?

Dump Sekera for a pick,free up the salary, bring up Gragnani. In essence it frees up the differential between Sekera and Grag's contracts, .5mil?

Give him time, which seems like not many on here want too, yet Shakira is allowed to waste a spot everytime he practices.

Start Mark out on the 3rd pair with Butler, Rivet or Montador. Watch him acctually provide offense from the blueline, something Sekera is suppose to accel at. You'll be convinced after 20 games. If he doesn't put up numbers, i can guarantee he will create more chances than Sekera.

Then the D looks like this

Myers/Volchenkov

Montador/Rivet, Butler?

Gragnani/Butler, Rivet?

I think both players have value to this team based on what we currently have on the roster and in the system. A defense without both Lydman and Tallinder looks real shaky. Rivet is old and worn down, Montador, while I appreciate him, is a 5th or 6th at best, Sekera, Butler and Weber have yet to prove they can hold down top 4 minutes. Anyone who thinks that Darcy is gonna make a huge splash for a Dman and cough up open market money is crazy. Besides that, in the open market the player gets to choose whether or not he wants to play in our lovely town. Somehow I don't see Buffalo as a players top destination when he finally gets a chance to name his price and place of employment. That being said, I think one or both Lydman and Tallinder at a reasonable price and term would work fine (2 or 3 yrs $3-3.5 per). Were either of these two the problem this season, occasional bad game aside? I didn't see it that way. Unfortunately, four of the other 5 who are under contract next season seemed to have the deficiencies.

Anyone who thinks that Darcy is gonna make a huge splash for a Dman and cough up open market money is crazy.Besides that, in the open market the player gets to choose whether or not he wants to play in our lovely town. Somehow I don't see Buffalo as a players top destination when he finally gets a chance to name his price and place of employment. That being said, I think one or both Lydman and Tallinder at a reasonable price and term would work fine (2 or 3 yrs $3-3.5 per). Were either of these two the problem this season, occasional bad game aside? I didn't see it that way. Unfortunately, four of the other 5 who are under contract next season seemed to have the deficiencies.

Yeah i know man. How many people think Niklas Lidstrom or Nedimeyer want to play here? Lmao, its not at all possible. And Darcy knows this to an extent. Boy did the organization really destroy the FA market here on that fateful sunday. We might never be able to recruit top talent in the FA market after that depocal.

i doubt they will/can keep both. if they're going to keep one, i'd rather it be lydman. he will make his share of "WTF?!" mistakes, but, on balance, he's a solid top 4 guy, who, IMHO, is capable to elevating his game come april (does anyone remember that stunning open-ice hip-check he threw in the defensive zone in '06 or '07?).

as for hank, i'm not buying. as someone posted on another thread (prolly the one devoted to whether he stays or goes), he had a terrific season (i) in a contract year, (ii) while paired with a ice-gobbling phenom, (iii) following a couple seasons of injury-plagued craptacular hockey. no. thanks.

Buy him out!

I'm not sure about buying Rivet out. If they did it would be a 2.33 million savings but 1.167 cap hit still over the next two years. Although that would be gone just in time for Myers contract to end and gt the big $.

I'm sure they'll suspend him without pay like Teppo for showing up to camp and failing the physical. Then they won't have to pay him for a while. :pirate:

I'm not sure about buying Rivet out. If they did it would be a 2.33 million savings but 1.167 cap hit still over the next two years. Although that would be gone just in time for Myers contract to end and gt the big $.

I'm sure they'll suspend him without pay like Teppo for showing up to camp and failing the physical. Then they won't have to pay him for a while. :pirate:

The 2.3 mil will buy a better blueliner compared to what River has left in the tank.

Yeah i know man. How many people think Niklas Lidstrom or Nedimeyer want to play here? Lmao, its not at all possible. And Darcy knows this to an extent. Boy did the organization really destroy the FA market here on that fateful sunday. We might never be able to recruit top talent in the FA market after that depocal.

I think it has more to do with money than July 1, 2007. This is a great city to play hockey in and to raise a family but it's unlikely (see: never) that the organization is going to plunk down the dollars it takes to attract the best free agents.

Archived