Revisiting a Bold Prediction: The Sabres will win the Northeast

Barnabov

Happy to see my prediction came true - too bad I didn't put some money down on them. But who cares - the playoffs are coming and we'll all be watching hockey that matters - hopefully well into June!

Barnabov

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

So after watching the Leafs - Canadiens tonight, have to say I think there's a good chance Buffalo will finish atop the Northeast Division. TO & Montreal have a lot new players to fill a lot of holes and I think it'll take them a season to sort out. Ottawa still seems to be floundering and trying to figure out what kind of team it wants to be. Boston could put my prediction on the slag heap but I think they're going to have trouble matching last year's regular season performance - Tim Thomas in particular may go the way of other hot for 1 season goalies, struggling the next year & I think not resigning Kessels was letting too much goal scoring get away.

So, despite not having done much in the offseason, I may be overly optimistic but I think Buffalo could lead it's division if everyone has a good year & stays healthy. Granted they need to tweek some spots still (or hope for some standout play - I don't see MacArthur earning a top 6 spot as yet).

Go ahead & shell me for this topic but that's where I stand (& only 2 pints of Guiness so no blaming that).

give the man credit, he was probably flambe'd by PA later in that thread.

If you're going to make that accusation, shouldn't you have read the thread and provide a link?

I did not disagree with anyone's prediction that the Sabres would win the division, or even do well this season. Nor did I agree with them. I had predicted great seasons in 07-08 and 08-09 and didn't want to burn myself again. I pissed in no one's Captain Crunch.

I'm actually surprised how tough Ottawa has been but hopefully they'll revert to their old playoff selves and get swept in the 1st round. Actually all the teams in the NE are surprisingly tough this year (except for Toronto - they need to sacrifice a goat or something) - 4 out of 5 look to be in the playoffs.

Happy to see my prediction came true - too bad I didn't put some money down on them. But who cares - the playoffs are coming and we'll all be watching hockey that matters - hopefully well into June!

Barnabov

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

So after watching the Leafs - Canadiens tonight, have to say I think there's a good chance Buffalo will finish atop the Northeast Division. TO & Montreal have a lot new players to fill a lot of holes and I think it'll take them a season to sort out. Ottawa still seems to be floundering and trying to figure out what kind of team it wants to be. Boston could put my prediction on the slag heap but I think they're going to have trouble matching last year's regular season performance - Tim Thomas in particular may go the way of other hot for 1 season goalies, struggling the next year & I think not resigning Kessels was letting too much goal scoring get away.

So, despite not having done much in the offseason, I may be overly optimistic but I think Buffalo could lead it's division if everyone has a good year & stays healthy. Granted they need to tweek some spots still (or hope for some standout play - I don't see MacArthur earning a top 6 spot as yet).

Go ahead & shell me for this topic but that's where I stand (& only 2 pints of Guiness so no blaming that).

i think it's awesome you called it! i never ever would have thought this team could finish higher than 6th and i still can't believe they won it...i do not share your optimism about hockey in june, but i sure hope you're right again...cheers. :beer:

full marks to the OP for calling a lot of what happened in 09-10 (especially with boston and thomas).

but i found it a little weird that barnabov predicted the future accurately, but inaccurately captured the past.

Actually all the teams in the NE are surprisingly tough this year (except for Toronto - they need to sacrifice a goat or something) - 4 out of 5 look to be in the playoffs.

fwiw, i thought that shrader accurately predicted the east's (well, the northeast's) weakness in '09-10.

But the division as a whole sucks, so even a bad team could easily win it.

full marks to the OP for calling a lot of what happened in 09-10 (especially with boston and thomas).

but i found it a little weird that barnabov predicted the future accurately, but inaccurately captured the past.

fwiw, i thought that shrader accurately predicted the east's (well, the northeast's) weakness in '09-10.

Is the consensus really that the NE Division was weak this year? I guess so if you're talking about some of the teams dropping off from their previous points totals. Overall though, it always seems like the toughest division in the East to me - the SE only ever seems to have 1 good team per season in it (usually rotated between Carolina & Washington) and the Atlantic wouldn't be as good without big spenders like the Rangers, Flyers & Pens. The NE seems like it has the most hardcore hockey towns in it - all 3 Canadian teams, Boston being original 6 and our beloved Buffalo who may not have the longevity but certainly is in competition for most success in terms relative to the number of years they've been playing.

Is the consensus really that the NE Division was weak this year?

i was speaking more to the east generally. i don't think there's any denying how anemic the east has been when compared to the west. saw this as well this morning:

... the turtle race for the last three Eastern spots has been a joke. (Since 2003-04, no playoff team has had fewer than 90 points. The East could have as many as three.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_farber/04/07/season.best.worst/index.html

Overall though, [the NE] always seems like the toughest division in the East to me

being the toughest division in a weak conference doesn't make it a strong division, IMO. i'd agree that it's generally quite competitive.

The NE seems like it has the most hardcore hockey towns in it - all 3 Canadian teams, Boston being original 6 and our beloved Buffalo who may not have the longevity but certainly is in competition for most success in terms relative to the number of years they've been playing.

agree with this entirely. the fact that each team has a good/great hockey town might tend to skew our perception of how good the clubs actually are.

Upon further review, It really was a strong move. Now, what are your predictions for the playoffs. I have to have my pool picks in the day after the season ends. :D

I'll take a W.A.G. even before the season ends...

I hope the Rangers don't make the playoffs leaving Boston in 8th with Boston losing to the Caps in Round 1 (or if NYR gets in, they lose too). Philly will hopefully take out NJ in Round 1, Buffalo over Montreal & Pittsburgh over Ottawa. I'll be a homer and say that the Sabres make it to the Eastern Conference Finals but don't want to anger the hockey gods with any more w.a.g.s. after that...

Archived