Lindy owns the media

PASabreFan

Lindy was quite pissy in his postgame presser. A minute into the presser, someone squeaked out a comment about four goals on 90-some shots the last two games.

"That's correct," Lindy grunted. It was clear he didn't want to be questioned. The media lapdogs curled up.

Lindy looked around the room for a few seconds. Silence.

Any questions?

"I didn't think so, be-yotches."

Who do these media guys represent, their listeners and readers, or Lindy and the organization?

Of course Paul Hamilton will then grow some and go on the air and rip Tim Connolly.

Lindy was quite pissy in his postgame presser. A minute into the presser, someone squeaked out a comment about four goals on 90-some shots the last two games.

"That's correct," Lindy grunted. It was clear he didn't want to be questioned. The media lapdogs curled up.

Any questions?

Who do these media guys represent, their listeners and readers, or Lindy and the organization?

Of course Paul Hamilton will then grow some and go on the air and rip Tim Connolly.

I would like to ask him why Brian Elliot is 8-0-0 against Buffalo?

The media has always tiptoed around the powers that be when it comes to the Sabres.Lets face it,if the media asked the real hard questions of the G.M. and kept the heat on,things would be vastly different in this teams quest for mediocraty.We might even have a team president that had a hockey background.If the media asked the questions I've seen members of these forums ask I'm not sure Regier and company would be willing or able to answer.The spin would make everyone dizzy but from what I've seen the fans and the people of Buffalo are far too smart to always accept that 'next year we'll be positioned to make a big move mantra'.'Next year we'll contend'.This year we went out and got Raffe Torres to put us over the top?I wonder what Ruff would say about that over a couple of pops in his basement?Off the record.

It has because very clear recently that his stints as the play-by-play man has changed Paul Hamilton's view of the Sabres. He has pretty much become a Sabres apologist.

I do like Brian Kozial on the post game. The only criticism of him I have is his refusal to even discuss Lindy Ruff in a negative light when fans call in. Much like people on this board. There is a discussion to be had there. I just wish people didn't fear the topic so much.

After seeing the records of the sens and the coyotes after those teams made coaching changes its easy to see how a change in coaching philosophy might help the players on this roster.Lets face it,Ruff is a great coach.He's well liked within the industry and no doubt would have another job almost immediatly.He may not even be the problem in Buffalo but just a small part of the problem.Quinn and Regier coming to mind also.I don't think anyone should be afraid to discuss coach movement in this market.If there's a move to be made that can help this team improve it should happen.That goes for everyone employed here.

After seeing the records of the sens and the coyotes after those teams made coaching changes its easy to see how a change in coaching philosophy might help the players on this roster.Lets face it,Ruff is a great coach.He's well liked within the industry and no doubt would have another job almost immediatly.He may not even be the problem in Buffalo but just a small part of the problem.Quinn and Regier coming to mind also.I don't think anyone should be afraid to discuss coach movement in this market.If there's a move to be made that can help this team improve it should happen.That goes for everyone employed here.

But does this kind of culture exist in the Sabres organization? It almost seems like Golisano wanted to introduce this kind of accountability with his idea that everyone's on a one-day contract. After the debacle of the co-captains, he seems to have been rebuffed and has willingly slunked away into the jingleweed. Hey, maybe he was right. Long-term contracts for The Core has been the death of this team.

Would love to see OSP either sell or get more directly involved in things.

But from where he sits, wherever he sits, I'm sure he's being told that everything is fine. If he's just watching the standings, he probably believes it.

It has because very clear recently that his stints as the play-by-play man has changed Paul Hamilton's view of the Sabres. He has pretty much become a Sabres apologist.

I do like Brian Kozial on the post game. The only criticism of him I have is his refusal to even discuss Lindy Ruff in a negative light when fans call in. Much like people on this board. There is a discussion to be had there. I just wish people didn't fear the topic so much.

Refusal to discuss? It's gotta be in the top five topics on this board in terms of popularity.

Any questions?

Lindy wasn't half as "pissy" as I was right about at that time. I give him a TON of credit for not going "Joe Biden" in that press conference. That effort last night by the forwards was a joke for at least two periods - AGAIN (what, is that like the 45th time this year?). I guarantee that Lindy would like nothing better than to tell the media exactly what he thought of the BS... but he has done that in the past and "lost guys". He clearly has tried to change his approach to criticism in the media, based on that experience. Anyway, here is what he probably was thinking, as was I:

1. Any team that for 5 games straight allows an opponent to dictate to them exactly how this game is going to go does NOT deserve to beat that team out for a division title.

2. Any team whose best forwards don't show up for 2 straight games on home ice, in what may have been the two biggest games of the season, does not deserve a division title.

3. This has to be the most aggravating team in Sabre franchise history. It is clear how good they can be if they want to be. But they clearly do not "want to be" often enough to be called a division champion or a contender.

Refusal to discuss? It's gotta be in the top five topics on this board in terms of popularity.

It is rarely "discussed." Having a few people call Lindy out and having a few others respond by calling us "Lindy bashers" or just crazy is not a discussion. I've asked several times over the past few months "how does Lindy make this team better" and the question goes unanswered. I would like to see a real discussion where those who believe Lindy is sacrosanct answer the question. What is the Lindy Ruff influence? Which players are better for being coached by Lindy Ruff? What is Lindy doing that another coach couldn't come in and do? Or maybe even improve on?

Lindy wasn't half as "pissy" as I was right about at that time. I give him a TON of credit for not going "Joe Biden" in that press conference. That effort last night by the forwards was a joke for at least two periods - AGAIN (what, is that like the 45th time this year?). I guarantee that Lindy would like nothing better than to tell the media exactly what he thought of the BS... but he has done that in the past and "lost guys". He clearly has tried to change his approach to criticism in the media, based on that experience. Anyway, here is what he probably was thinking, as was I:

1. Any team that for 5 games straight allows an opponent to dictate to them exactly how this game is going to go does NOT deserve to beat that team out for a division title.

2. Any team whose best forwards don't show up for 2 straight games on home ice, in what may have been the two biggest games of the season, does not deserve a division title.

3. This has to be the most aggravating team in Sabre franchise history. It is clear how good they can be if they want to be. But they clearly do not "want to be" often enough to be called a division champion or a contender.

Maybe it's not "how good they can be if they want to be" but instead "how good they can be if the other team is having an off night."

It is rarely "discussed." Having a few people call Lindy out and having a few others respond by calling us "Lindy bashers" or just crazy is not a discussion. I've asked several times over the past few months "how does Lindy make this team better" and the question goes unanswered. I would like to see a real discussion where those who believe Lindy is sacrosanct answer the question. What is the Lindy Ruff influence? Which players are better for being coached by Lindy Ruff? What is Lindy doing that another coach couldn't come in and do? Or maybe even improve on?

Ah, people might not agree, but it certainly is discussed. All over the board. If you want to repeat the discussion, start a new Should Lindy Be Fired thread (or resurrect another one), and we'll go through it again. But I will say you have a new question here: "Which players are better for being coached by Lindy Ruff." I have a few in mind (and one that is worse off for it).

I kind of like the Lindy/media discussion here, though, especially the posts that track the devolution of Paul Hamilton, and I don't want to impede that in this thread.

Ah, people might not agree, but it certainly is discussed. All over the board. If you want to repeat the discussion, start a new Should Lindy Be Fired thread (or resurrect another one), and we'll go through it again. But I will say you have a new question here: "Which players are better for being coached by Lindy Ruff." I have a few in mind (and one that is worse off for it).

I kind of like the Lindy/media discussion here, though, especially the posts that track the devolution of Paul Hamilton, and I don't want to impede that in this thread.

Another place and time then.

To get back on track.

Is Paul Hamilton too much of "one of the guys" when he asks and answers his own questions? I get the feeling he is way to comfortable. Like he has a locker in the room and does his interviews after he showers with them and is wearing a towel. I apologize for the mental image.

Another place and time then.

To get back on track.

Is Paul Hamilton too much of "one of the guys" when he asks and answers his own questions? I get the feeling he is way to comfortable. Like he has a locker in the room and does his interviews after he showers with them and is wearing a towel. I apologize for the mental image.

You should be forced to buy the whole board a drink.

I don't know what happened to Hamilton; a couple of years ago, he was more critical of the team in his reports on WGR. I get that his questions might have to be toned down--he has to keep up a relationship with the players to get information, and I don't see a dramatic difference in his questions--but his opinion reporting has become unqualifiedly rosy for no good reason.

You should be forced to buy the whole board a drink.

I don't know what happened to Hamilton; a couple of years ago, he was more critical of the team in his reports on WGR. I get that his questions might have to be toned down--he has to keep up a relationship with the players to get information, and I don't see a dramatic difference in his questions--but his opinion reporting has become unqualifiedly rosy for no good reason.

I think it started when he was tabbed to do the play-by-play when Rick goes on vacation.

Any questions?

Hamilton has his nose so far up their ###### he may as well be drawing his check from the Sabres.

I don't know about Connolly, but Gaustad Miller and Grier are the three players Hamilton sucks up to.

Used to be Rivet too but he been quiet on that lately.

Hamilton has his nose so far up their ###### he may as well be drawing his check from the Sabres.

I don't know about Connolly, but Gaustad Miller and Grier are the three players Hamilton sucks up to.

Used to be Rivet too but he been quiet on that lately.

Probably because Rivet's a mediocre captain, Rivet is neither at fault not at fault in any sucesses or wins... we just need an upgrade for a captain. If Rivet is all we have for captainship, then we really don't have that great of a future.

I'd like to ask why the Sabres make all backup goalies they face look like the second coming of Dominik Hasek, but then allow 5 or 6 goals in their next game to a worse team?

Matter, you're going to have to give examples--multiple, since your comment is very general--on this one. What do you mean?

Well, most of these questions are impossible to answer. It can't be known whether a player is better for having been coached by Lindy, because that player isn't simultaneously playing for another coach and therefore the 2 coaches' respective effects on that player can't be compared.

I'm starting to see a recurring theme in your posts that Lindy is responsible for stagnation in the games of guys like Roy, Pommer and Vanek. My issue with this theory is that you are assuming your conclusion -- ie you are assuming that since the players are stagnating, it must be because Lindy hasn't developed them.

The alternative theory, of course, is that maybe Pommer (a guy no other team in the NHL wanted) and Roy (5'9", 180 and still producing 65-70 ppg) have just hit their ceilings and Vanek is an overpaid sniper who is having a down year.

Also, your theory ignores the fact that Lindy has gotten much more out of guys like Satan, Briere and Drury than they produced elsewhere. The only guy I can think of who produced more for another coach than for Lindy is Max, and that's only been for 1 season on a really crappy team.

Is Paul Hamilton relevant to anything? I don't think I've ever heard him say anything at all insightful or knowledgeable. Of course, I don't really pay attention to him either.

Also, your theory ignores the fact that Lindy has gotten much more out of guys like Satan, Briere and Drury than they produced elsewhere. The only guy I can think of who produced more for another coach than for Lindy is Max, and that's only been for 1 season on a really crappy team.

You're ignoring the fact that Ruff happened to have those players in the prime of their careers.

Ruff didn't develop those players anymore than Boudreau developed Ovechkin, Backstrom Semin and Green, or Rick Tocchet developed Stamkos.

You're ignoring the fact that Ruff happened to have those players in the prime of their careers.

I knew your man crush on the midget captains would shine through. Drury and Briere were wallowing on their respective teams when they were traded for. I'm not saying Ruff had a tremendous impact on them but to just write off his impact on their careers is foolish. Are those guys, Drury in particular, on the downside of their careers now a mere 2 seasons later? Perhaps but I'd like to think their current coaches have something to do with their lack of performance.

The media has always tiptoed around the powers that be when it comes to the Sabres.Lets face it,if the media asked the real hard questions of the G.M. and kept the heat on,things would be vastly different in this teams quest for mediocraty.We might even have a team president that had a hockey background.If the media asked the questions I've seen members of these forums ask I'm not sure Regier and company would be willing or able to answer.The spin would make everyone dizzy but from what I've seen the fans and the people of Buffalo are far too smart to always accept that 'next year we'll be positioned to make a big move mantra'.'Next year we'll contend'.This year we went out and got Raffe Torres to put us over the top?I wonder what Ruff would say about that over a couple of pops in his basement?Off the record.

Is your space bar broken? Unreadable.

What players have left Ruff and prospered? None that I can think of. He's part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

Archived