Which Sabres UFA's are history at the end of the season?

LabattBlue

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these UFA's do you believe will NOT be wearing the blue & gold next season

• Tallinder
    • Lydman
    • Mair
    • Ellis
    • Grier
    • Lalime
    • Torres

This is not a poll of who you want gone. It is who you believe will be gone.

I expect Grier back and one of either Mair or Ellis (probably Ellis) and one of either Tallinder or Lydman (not sure which one they'll end up with). (Of course, I thought Drury would be back back in '07 as well.)

Lydman should and will be history. Torres looks lost in Lindy's system and he probably wouldn't stay even if the Sabres offered him a contract. He's gone. After the reception that Lalime got in his last home start (jeers from the fans after allowing a couple bad goals for those who did not see it), he may not want to stay. As dense as the Sabres' FO is, they ought to realize his shortcomings and let him walk. There should be enough free agent goalies available during the off-season for the Sabres to find one who is cheap and effective as a second banana to Miller.

Interesting poll. I think both defensemen will be too rich for the Sabres' blood, Grier will take whatever offer he gets early in free agency and the Sabres will want to bring up someone from Portland and so won't offer Mairsie a contract. I can see Ellis coming back since he'll be cheap and LR likes him.

I also think that if Grier and/or Lydman don't get good deals in the first week or so of free agency, the Sabres will make them modest 1-year offers, so I wouldn't be surprised if either or both returns.

EDIT: I don't think there is a serious possibility of Lalime or Torres returning, although I wouldn't mind Torres.

I don't believe Grier is staying, there isn't a need for him anymore. He's older and way to slow, no matter how much upside he brings to the 2 way or defensive forward game.

Torres is off to Toronto at seasons end.

Lalime, well, we all know this outcome. Hello Mr. Enroth and with that, Miller gets his 22 games a season rest.

Mair and Ellis are both interesting, with Ennis prepared to make the move up and a sure to be LW UFA to be added, I see both of these players gone either to UFA or, if they choose stick around, a 2 way contract and off to Portland. It is very telling that Mair was already put on waivers this season.

Lydman, Gone! 32 years old, Weber/Sekera/Gragnani will fight for his position.

Tallinder, Hmmmmmmmm...............the most interesting of all in my opinion. What to do with Hank. He has had a resurgence with the rookie Myers, but the team will need to build Myers with another young talent in an attempt to bring the longterm #1 / #2 defensive pairing in position for years to come. Who will it be?

Butler? Pfftttt please, I am surprised this kid still sees a roster spot.

Weber? I don't know, he seems more of a #3 / #4 pairing partner.

Then who? A trade perhaps?

Torres looks lost in Lindy's system and he probably wouldn't stay even if the Sabres offered him a contract.

We should probably let him finish the season/playoffs before saying that, but yeah, he won't be back.

Tallinder, Lydman, Torres, and LaLime.It's time for Sekera, Butler, Weber, et a to come up from Portland, plus the freed up money gives you a top 6 forward and a top 4 D man.

Sekera and Butler have already graduated from Portland. ;) (Sekera never actually played there)

Anyway, Grier is the only one I think will be back.

No matter who leaves, one has to wonder who will fill the vacated spots. At the very least two forwards and one defenseman will need to be added. Ennis is almost a lock to make the team next season. Weber/Brennan/Gragnani should fill one D spot. So we have:

Vanek-Roy-Kennedy

Ennis-Connolly-Pominville

Hecht-Gaustad-Stafford

Grier/Mair/FA-Ellis/FA-Kaleta

Myers-Butler/Tallinder

Sekera-Weber

Rivet-Montador

:unsure: :unsure:

This is not a poll of who you want gone. It is who you believe will be gone.

I think all but Tallinder and Ellis will be sent packing. Outside chance of Grier returning, but his play has really tailed off the 2nd half of the season.

Grier still has good numbers on the PK, second to Hecht among forwards, but not much else, I think he's gone.

I don't believe Grier is staying, there isn't a need for him anymore. He's older and way to slow, no matter how much upside he brings to the 2 way or defensive forward game.

He's not bringing much as a defensive forward other than good PK work.

5 on 5 no.

We should probably let him finish the season/playoffs before saying that, but yeah, he won't be back.

Sekera and Butler have already graduated from Portland. ;) (Sekera never actually played there)

Anyway, Grier is the only one I think will be back.

yeah, u kwim Mr robot ;)

No matter who leaves, one has to wonder who will fill the vacated spots. At the very least two forwards and one defenseman will need to be added. Ennis is almost a lock to make the team next season. Weber/Brennan/Gragnani should fill one D spot. So we have:

Vanek-Roy-Kennedy

Ennis-Connolly-Pominville

Hecht-Gaustad-Stafford

Grier/Mair/FA-Ellis/FA-Kaleta

Myers-Butler/Tallinder

Sekera-Weber

Rivet-Montador

:unsure: :unsure:

I completly agree about the D. That is just way too much youth on the blueline for me. I think if Lydman goes, (which is highly likly) then the FO needs to bring in a mid aged, or vet replacement. Which, given their track record, probably will not happen.

I dont like the idea of thrusting Weber and Grangani into the NHL in haste. They need to be eased into the big time. Both should've played at least 10 games this season. Just to give them a taste. Why does Sekera need to play fifty plus games this season? He haven't shown much improvement at all this year. He is still very weak on the wall, and cannot go a game without at least two huge turnovers. His passing isn't all that great, and his shot is horrible. Doesn't Grangani deserve a chance? Isn't he also an offensive dman? Would he do worse? Is that even possible?

Why has Butler played 51 games this year? His play has tailed off dramatically since seasons beginning. Weber isn't too high on the "build from within" chart in Darcy's bedroom?

What i'm trying to say is this. Darcy preachs his build from within mantra during every team conference, interview, what have you. Here are two defensemen, IN THE SYSTEM ALREADY, that aren't being eased into the nhl fold. I dont think it is wise to play two players, who have struggled most of the year, 65 games or more, when you have two guys crawling at the door.

I think the right thing to do would've been playing Butler about fifty games this season, and Sekera about fourty. Meanwhile, allowing Grangani and Weber to play twenty games apiece. This would give them invaluable experience that would pay ten fold when they become fulltimers. Its common sense.

Sekera is a joke. I'm sorry, i cant stand the kid. Two seasons is enough for me. I'm tried of waiting for this offensive potential to suddenly become reality. Everytime i see his name in the lineup, my first thought is "wasted roster spot".

They all should be gone. They are all easily replaced. These will be the moves Regier and Quinn will try to sell as change. Much like when Lindy benches a Ellis or Sekera to send a message to the team. The sacred "core" will remain intact which means no significant improvement upfront and another year relying solely on Ryan Miller.

Why does Sekera need to play fifty plus games this season?

Why has Butler played 51 games this year? I

dont think it is wise to play two players, who have struggled most of the year, 65 games or more, when you have two guys crawling at the door. I think the right thing to do would've been playing Butler about fifty games this season, and Sekera about fourty. Meanwhile, allowing Grangani and Weber to play twenty games apiece.

Both players are 23 years old, so they became waiver-eligible at 60GP. Sekera had that coming into this season and Butler had that at 13 games in. The Sabres also had a full 23-man roster for most of the season. Other than to fill roster spots opened by IR'd players, they couldn't bring those guys up unless they were willing to put Butler or Sekera through waivers. You might have been OK with that, but I assure you that DR was not.

They should keep either Tallinder or Lydman.

They rest are all expendable.

Lalime is gone, no question about that.

If I had to choose i'd keep Tallinder. Lydman has played better this season but his own zone turnovers stay stuck in my head for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of them are gone next year IMO, but the one I feel most confident about is Lalime. Lindy just doesn't trust him and we can't have another year with a backup goalie that our coach doesn't trust.

I'm worried about our D next year, but there's more important things to worry about right now...like making it deep into the playoffs this year! :w00t:

Archived