GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wonderbread

I don't hate that pairing; in fact, I wish it had happened earlier. Stay-at-home D paired with offensive D is good. Ruff and Rivet had to train Butler, I get it, but Monty is a decent offensive D.

And the problem with this team has everything to do with the folks up front, and little to do with D, anyway.

You are right, actually. He has looked better tonight than he has in a while.

Same here. Mair, just before Vanek's goal, really had his legs moving as he skated into the Flyers zone and tried to disrupt a breakout. It was so noticeable, which made it so disturbing. Vanek scored and I was like, "That's nice."

Exactly. This is crap. We want hockey. This nonsense just makes me want to go to sleep early instead, or read a book, or whatever. Look, I'm one of the more optimistic guys on here, but since mid-Jan, I've been getting more and more pissed. Amazing; this team was in first place in the conference once. Now, I'm not sure it can take first place in New York State. (And that says something.)

Looked like a fan might need some blood after a puck went into the stands. Why the hell am I noticing so much sh*t in the crowd? You guys saw the Yeti sitting next to JFK, right?

No, JFK is dead. That was a JFK clone created from some skin cells that were cryogenically preserved.

Exactly. This is crap. We want hockey. This nonsense just makes me want to go to sleep early instead, or read a book, or whatever. Look, I'm one of the more optimistic guys on here, but since mid-Jan, I've been getting more and more pissed. Amazing; this team was in first place in the conference once. Now, I'm not sure it can take first place in New York State. (And that says something.)

I completely agree. Usually, like tonight, I start out watching the game, either standing or intently enjoying it. And the last 10-15 games or so, I find myself surfing the internet by the 3rd period, and only really half paying attention.

Every game, I wonder more and more what Jochen Hecht brings to this team...He doesn't really have very much offensive skill, he's not really good defensively, and doesn't do enough in front of the net to really warrant sticking him there...

He's pretty much just a random dude out there.

Every game, I wonder more and more what Jochen Hecht brings to this team...He doesn't really have very much offensive skill, he's not really good defensively, and doesn't do enough in front of the net to really warrant sticking him there...

that's why he fits in so well with the rest of the team

I used to be one of his biggest critics. But some nights, he's the only guy who scores a goal (Wednesday was an example). He doesn't belong on the top two lines, IMO, but he's a decent third-liner, I guess. I guess. I suppose. I theorize. I well, we don't have anyone else, so why not?

I do like him with Grier.

reminds me of Gilles Hamel...just a guy..

I used to be one of his biggest critics. But some nights, he's the only guy who scores a goal (Wednesday was an example). He doesn't belong on the top two lines, IMO, but he's a decent third-liner, I guess. I guess. I suppose. I theorize. I well, we don't have anyone else, so why not?

I do like him with Grier.

Yeah, but at 3.5 mil per year, I really think they could find someone that would at least make their presence known every game.

Does anyone think like me - Lindy is a great coach but like Scotty Bowman, he will never win here!!

There are reasons Bowman didn't win here, and it's worthy of another thread. Start it, and I'll be in. But I won't contaminate the GDT with history.

What I have really noticed is how bad we are at passing the puck rarely goes tape to tape compared to the other teams. No that is something worth practicing.

Yeah, but at 3.5 mil per year, I really think they could find someone that would at least make their presence known every game.

Like Connolly?

(Kidding, of course. You absolutely are right on the salary point.)

What I have really noticed is how bad we are at passing the puck rarely goes tape to tape compared to the other teams. No that is something worth practicing.

That depends on the scheme, some teams want the puck passed into space, and players moving into the space to take it. (USA 1980, Edmonton 1983-1990 are examples.) IF this is what the Sabres are trying to do, though, it is failing. Miserably.

You know, I really am a Kaleta fan. But as much as I like the "New" Kaleta, where he actually plays, and chips in with goals, I REALLY miss the "Old" Kaleta. Something about the first 20-25 games he played this year, it almost seemed like he was able to draw at least 1-2 penalties a game, just by being a pest.

Hecht leads this team in even-strength goals. Hard to believe...

Wow. I did not know that...Still doesn't really change my opinion of him, It just makes me sad that the rest of the losers we have can't do more.

Edit: woo hoo! 700 posts! :bag:

Archived