Who will win tomorrow night: Canada or Russia?

nfreeman

Prediction time  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Canada beats Germany today (Tuesday), it will play Russia on Wednesday. The winner advances to the medal round. The loser is out of the tournament. Who is going to win the game?

• Canada
    • Russia

The Russians played like idiots, Zenobia (sp) was a joke.

Afnogenov was one of the few good players for Russia in that game.

I wanted Canada to win because I want the USA to beat them twice.

Eeeeeesh. Be careful what you wish for. Canada looked awesome last night. Physical, skilled and intense at every position and every zone on the ice.

I will say that if the US were to win gold and beat Canada twice in the process, it would be legendary.

Eeeeeesh. Be careful what you wish for. Canada looked awesome last night. Physical, skilled and intense at every position and every zone on the ice.

I will say that if the US were to win gold and beat Canada twice in the process, it would be legendary.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hey beating them twice does say something. I for one would not be ashamed of a Silver finish however that definitely can not be said for Canada winning Silver.

Do you think it's movie material ? Who gets to play .......

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hey beating them twice does say something. I for one would not be ashamed of a Silver finish however that definitely can not be said for Canada winning Silver.

Do you think it's movie material ? Who gets to play .......

Break out of your NHL-centric world for a minute. There will be no movie. Unlike 1980, Americans don't care about this. And for good reason.

Break out of your NHL-centric world for a minute. There will be no movie. Unlike 1980, Americans don't care about this. And for good reason.

For what good reason do Americans not care about winning gold and beating Canada for a second straight game?

Unlike 1980, Americans don't care about this. And for good reason.

Nonsense. USA-Canada was the highest-rated hockey telecast in the US since the 2002 Olympic gold medal game. It was also the 2nd-highest program in MSNBC history. (Even higher than that clever Keith Olbermann!) It's safe to say that if there is a rematch in the gold medal game, on NBC (as opposed to MSNBC or CNBC), the audience will be substantial and will probably exceed 2002.

I think you're wrong. There's a reason why USA made all the headlines on ALL major US sports web sites front pages on Sunday night and even into Monday. And i mean ALL of them... si.com, sporting news, espn, fox sports, cbssports, yahoo sports, usa today and i'm sure others, but thats all i read. These web sites spend tons of $$$ to figure out what customers want. They didn't do it to throw hockey a bone. They did it because it was a popular event and they knew people would be coming in the thousands and read expert opinion.

For what good reason do Americans not care about winning gold and beating Canada for a second straight game?

Because Americans are stupid? I don't know. Some care, but if you're expecting the country to grind to a halt on Sunday, and people to run into the streets, you're crazy. Too much has changed. TV has changed. We had nine channels, tops, in 1980. It was the height of the Cold War. American college kids had beaten the Soviet Machine. Now it's an NHL All-Star Game, and, if anything, now we're the Evil Empire.

Whatever. To each is own. I have tried to stay out of this, and I think I've done a pretty good job.

Nonsense. USA-Canada was the highest-rated hockey telecast in the US since the 2002 Olympic gold medal game. It was also the 2nd-highest program in MSNBC history. (Even higher than that clever Keith Olbermann!) It's safe to say that if there is a rematch in the gold medal game, on NBC (as opposed to MSNBC or CNBC), the audience will be substantial and will probably exceed 2002.

HIGHER THAN 2002! WHOA! LIKE, OHMYGOD. Ask some folks what major hockey event happened in 2002. I dare you.

I think you're wrong. There's a reason why USA made all the headlines on ALL major US sports web sites front pages on Sunday night and even into Monday. And i mean ALL of them... si.com, sporting news, espn, fox sports, cbssports, yahoo sports, usa today and i'm sure others, but thats all i read. These web sites spend tons of $$ to figure out what customers want. They didn't do it to throw hockey a bone. They did it because it was a popular event and they knew people would be coming in the thousands and read expert opinion.

Fair enough. It's a big sports story. What I'm questioning is whether it's going to transcend sports.

Whatever. To each is own. I have tried to stay out of this, and I think I've done a pretty good job.

You have 4 posts out of 15 on this page.

HIGHER THAN 2002! WHOA! LIKE, OHMYGOD. Ask some folks what major hockey event happened in 2002. I dare you.

Fair enough. It's a big sports story. What I'm questioning is whether it's going to transcend sports.

So your point is that if the US wins gold on Sunday, it won't be as big a deal as the 1980 win? No argument there. However, it will still be a huge US sports story, not to mention a huge hockey story.

No matter how hard I try and break away they just keep pulling me back in. :rolleyes:

Okay so I am personally fanning the flames and rhetoric. Yes I watched the 1980 olympics and all things equal it wouldn't come close but it's all we got Maury. I for one like to see us build some national pride back and will root for this evil empire because it can't be all evil if it has people like us on this board here correct?

Last it's fun to see you get pulled back in. ;)

Thank you for playing.

You have 4 posts out of 15 on this page.

So your point is that if the US wins gold on Sunday, it won't be as big a deal as the 1980 win? No argument there. However, it will still be a huge US sports story, not to mention a huge hockey story.

I disagree. If the Canadians annihilate Slovakia and USA ekes by Finland (a reasonable scenario), a USA win in a sea of red clad Canadians in front of a North American audience will be huge. The magnitude of a US win will be every bit as epic as the 1980 games. The USA will have to stop 50 SOGs to win against the Canadians. Imagine if the game plays out just like the last one. Outshot 19-4 in period 1 and ahead 1-0 or 2-0. The doubt starts to creep in as those lunch pail Americans and skinny goalie drop down to block shot attempt after shot attempt...

By the time this game is played on Sunday, the buildup will be so big on every sports show in America and Canada that people will be compelled to watch. Nothing fuels Americans like a dose of patriotism. Unlike the regionalism of Dallas Cowboys playing the New England Patriots, this is USA vs Canada. 300 million Americans vs 33 million Canadians. It'll also probably drawn in Eastern Europe and some of Western Europe.

An American win would be one for the ages...

Archived