[OT] Sophia's Greek restaurant

PASabreFan

I don't know if this had aired before, but this restaurant was featured the other night on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."

This is actually in Kenmore, I believe. (Had to google map it.)

Just wondering if these joints featured on the show are as good as portrayed -- I have to say, I was ready to jump through the screen.

This could expand nicely during our hockey vacation into a discussion of the best inexpensive places to eat in and around Buffalo.

Okay definitely a long 2 weeks here w/o nhl.

But since you brought it up, I'll play.

My wife loves the diner's, drive-in's and dives show and has got me watching on occasion as well. We have been to 2 places here around pittsburgh that were featured and they IMO did not meet the hype I had personally built up and while they were good they weren't Grrrrrreat, at least to me.

That said since we like the show we have mapped out some of the other places that were previously featured from Bflo to maybe make a stop on a future road trip. So if anybody can endorse tell me their experience for any of these below please do;

Grover's bar $ grill East Amherst

Lake Effect Diner, Bflo Ny

Pizza Junction, North Tonawanda

BlackThorn restuarant & pub, Bflo

My bad, changed my wording above in case board IOC charged me with commercializing.

Pizza Junction has been my favorite restaurant basically my whole life. I am 28 years old and have lived in North Tonawanda all 28 years. There are weeks where I will order from there 3-4 times. Basically everything on the menu is excellent, with huge portions.

While there has been a slight decline in the service/preparation of the food recently, it is still my favorite place to eat by a lot.

Pizza Junction has been my favorite restaurant basically my whole life. I am 28 years old and have lived in North Tonawanda all 28 years. There are weeks where I will order from there 3-4 times. Basically everything on the menu is excellent, with huge portions.

While there has been a slight decline in the service/preparation of the food recently, it is still my favorite place to eat by a lot.

I grew up in Tonawanda, too. Pizza Junction and John's Pizza are two places I still go to each year when I come back to visit. Love John's Chicken Finger Pizza!

Grover's bar $ grill East Amherst - definitely a must go. Great tasting and huge burgers. Only problem is it gets quite busy, and they don't have a large capacity. So, try to get in early if you are going for dinner, lunch isn't as big of a problem for getting a table.

Lake Effect Diner, Bflo Ny - Not worth the hype. The clever name has fooled many a Buffalonian. A little pricey for a diner and overall nothing special

I haven't tried the other two so I can't comment. But with Grover's you shouldn't be disappointing.

Grover's bar $ grill East Amherst - definitely a must go. Great tasting and huge burgers. Only problem is it gets quite busy, and they don't have a large capacity. So, try to get in early if you are going for dinner, lunch isn't as big of a problem for getting a table.

Lake Effect Diner, Bflo Ny - Not worth the hype. The clever name has fooled many a Buffalonian. A little pricey for a diner and overall nothing special

I haven't tried the other two so I can't comment. But with Grover's you shouldn't be disappointing.

+1 for Grovers, definitely worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Effect Diner, Bflo Ny

I lived down the road from Lake Effect for a couple of years.. absolutely nothing special at all. The milkshakes were pretty good and they did have some special offers on that, my memory fails me now, but for the most part it was overpriced and the service wasn't that great either.

The novelty of the diner car was pretty cool though, so if you've never seen/been in one then you could probably do it.

• 9 months later...

A little input on a months-old question above. I've only been to one of the DD&D locatdions mentioned on the show, a place (that I forget the name of) in Norfolk, VA. I don't know if it was the crappy rainy day, the mild hangover, or what, but the sandwich wasn't anything special, even though Guy mentioned it being good. They were famous for milkshakes, but I didn't try that. That's my mistake, most likely.

Archived