GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

While SR has been annoyingly Pollyanna-esque, dog's been doing it longer so he gets the nod in my book. Plus SR spent way too much time pounding the no "rent-a-skaters" drum too fast upon arrival.

Dog's like this on the Bills board as well. He doesn't go overboard with the "rah rah" crap, but is overall positive in his approach to both the Bills and Sabres. He's a good poster, no doubt.

SR on the otherhand, is like a tall can of Red Bull after sleeping for 12 hours.

There's reallistic optimism, then there's blind love. I'll pre-vote for Dog :thumbsup:

DeLuca, I don't know where you're coming from tonight, but from the guy who didn't want to rest Miller and then started a thread about how he's fatigued and no one else is concerned, from the guy who didn't want to trade for a rental, and then was bitching about how the Sabres didn't rent Kovy, how much do you think I'm going to take? I've been backing off. Don't know what you're up to. Let it go. And enjoy the freaking team, for crying out loud.

But there is a common thread to everything DeLuca writes-- he's angry and wants to make critical remarks. So whatever the Sabres do, it's wrong. That's why he's around so much when things are going bad, it validates him.

And for him, consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds. Play Miller all the time, then played Miller too much. Everyone on the team sucks except for Miller, Tallinder and Myers, let's get a rental player and put us over the top. Don't try to make sense of it beyond his anger--especially towards Regier. And "letting it go" would end his online personna, so that won't happen.

For the first time in my memory, Dany Heatley didn't own the Sabres last night.. He had only one legit chance that I recall from the slot and Miller stopped him.

I don't think there can be any doubt that the Sharks didn't have their A game last night. They have eight guys going to the Olympics and it was crystal clear they were playing a very soft game.

Now the Sabres could have done the same, but didn't. The difference I think was desperation. The Sharks could afford the night off and the Sabres couldn't.

When was the last time you saw a West Coast team not hit?

1st place in the NE with 22 games left.. All right by me..

I'll be honest, i thought tonight we would have gotten blown out. When i started to watch, i didn't expect a win at all. Even with a 2-0 lead, i was happily surprised at the score, but still, thought, the flood gates are bound to open. Ryan Miller was very good. I thought Stafford and Vanek skated very well and the 4th line had lots of energy. However, I was most impressed by the defense. They were on top of it early on. San Jose tried to make long passes and play their style of spread out offense but the Sabres defense closed down the passing lanes very quickly. The defense won us the game tonight. Kevin Sylvester made a great point on the Shootout, Sabres got 4 out of possible 6 points this week. Sure, more was wanted, but, realistically when the week started, i think most would have said wins over Boston and Carolina would make it a successful week.

The Olympic break could not come any sooner for the Sabres though. I thought Montador was great tonight. He's been horrid for a month if not longer. Same with Tim Kennedy. Not sure what made them play awesome tonight? Maybe rest is what these guys need?

Also, not sure if mentioned, but, once again awesome thing the Sabres did pre-game ceremony to honor those heading to Vancouver. Does every team league wide do that? Anyone know? I spend most of the day watching the Olympics and the Sabres game and didn't see any other game and was wondering.

Not sure how many more of these kind of efforts the Sabres have left in them, as we saw last few weeks, this team is pretty fragile, but, it was a very good feeling seeing this team out play the Sharks. And for the record, i thought we outplayed them in San Jose too last month.

I thought the same thing as well. After the Carolina game I expected every time that SJ began a 2-man rush that he cameraman would pan back to show a lone Sabre defenseman having to deal with a 2 on 1. The defense however consistently had 2 men back and were able to deal very well with the oncoming attack. I will also say that the forwards did seem to do a good job back checking and not letting the third, or fourth men get open looks. That is the way the game should be played when we have a lead and it worked very effectively.

Damn, I just noticed that Ottawa plays again today on the Island. They can steal first place back. Here's to hoping that Detroit put them in a funk and Ottawa mails it in. I want the Sabres in first at the break with three games in hand on Ottawa.

DeLuca, I don't know where you're coming from tonight, but from the guy who didn't want to rest Miller and then started a thread about how he's fatigued and no one else is concerned, from the guy who didn't want to trade for a rental, and then was bitching about how the Sabres didn't rent Kovy, how much do you think I'm going to take? I've been backing off. Don't know what you're up to. Let it go. And enjoy the freaking team, for crying out loud.

It really shouldn't be this hard to figure out. They need to play Miller as much as possible to secure a playoff spot, Partly due to not investing in a quality backup. Partly due to not making any significant improvements to the roster. And you're damn right I wanted Kovy. I wanted him in a Sabres uniform like I want any talented player to be in a Sabres uniform. I've never been against adding quality talent to the top end of the roster. The problem is that Regier has the roster burdened with so many bad contracts that they are close to Cap and he isn't competent enough to move out the bad contracts and bring in the players this team needs to make a serious run. Of course this is a mute point if Miller doesn't return to his early season form.

Don't forget that so much of a teams's success comes from between the ears. If the Sabres can start to play with some confidence and better decision-making as a result of this win, which was a very strong complete game, then a lot of those problems can be "solved" internally by the existing guys simply playing better than they did in February.

I think we both agree that even at this roster's absolute best it still isn't close to being good enough. Good enough being Stanley Cup contender. I don't agree that their problems can be "solved" from within. Maybe covered up by really good goaltending, still there none the less.

I wouldn't mind the decision to live or die with the current roster if there was some accountability. If this doesn't make a run in the playoffs who falls on the sword? Another wasted season goes buy and no changes will be made. I agree that this teams "success" comes from between the ears. I also think that part of that "between the ears" is a comfortableness that needs to be removed. There needs to be a major shakeup with the so called "core" group. Something that will wake the remaining players up. Something that will break this cycle of playing hard once in a while and floating for the majority of time. At some point a message needs to be sent that what they have right is just not good enough. A point we both agree on.

I'm kind of late here, but where has this game been? This is the type of entire team effort that has been missing for at least 2-3 weeks. It's nice to go into the break on a high and back in the division lead, even though Ottawa can take it back today with a win. Miller looked sharp, Vanek looked like his old self with at least 4 good scoring chances that Nabokov was simply better on, and that assist on Gaustad's goal by Tallinder reminded me of the player from 2005-2007 whom we all thought was the best defenseman on the Buffalo Sabres. Good win, and good team effort. My only question is why did it take 2 weeks to find their game and where did it go?

"Sabre Hockey" is beating a west coast team at the end of a long road trip facing a two week vacation? Hopefully for the Sabres the remaining schedule is full of those scenarios. :doh:

They got two points from a team that clearly started their Olympic break early. All that has been accomplished is giving Quinn and Regier another excuse not to do anything.

I guess it makes it easier for Regier, Quinn and many fans to ignore that the Sabres were a desperate team and this may have been their biggest game of the year while San Jose was just looking to get home and won't even remember they played in Buffalo let alone lost by the time their players land in San Jose or Vancouver.

Sabre hockey is not flying up and down the ice pretending to be something they are not, its playing smart, patient, defensive hockey.

More to do with Buffalo slowing down a little and taking the time to make the right play then the play of the Sharks, but hey, you look at it your way and I'll look at it mine. Even the Sharks at their best would have struggled against the Sabres last night in my opinion. Plus, if Vanek would have made good on all of his opportunities the Sabres would have scored twice as many goals.

The Sharks struggle on Sabre ice just like we do in the Shark tank. If we were to ever meet them in the finals it would be a great match up.

Pollyanna huh? You just can't handle rational analyses! I stand by the no rent-a-skater creed, Sabres have everything they need - and after some rough bumps they believe despite the naysayers and goon squad ilk aficionados!!! We can play aptitude and skill, is the NHL up to the excellence? GO Buffalo Sabres!!! GO USA!!!

You also need to seriously back off the exclamation points and maybe think about switching to decaf.

Ready to concede yet?

I'll be honest, i thought tonight we would have gotten blown out. When i started to watch, i didn't expect a win at all. Even with a 2-0 lead, i was happily surprised at the score, but still, thought, the flood gates are bound to open. Ryan Miller was very good. I thought Stafford and Vanek skated very well and the 4th line had lots of energy. However, I was most impressed by the defense. They were on top of it early on. San Jose tried to make long passes and play their style of spread out offense but the Sabres defense closed down the passing lanes very quickly. The defense won us the game tonight. Kevin Sylvester made a great point on the Shootout, Sabres got 4 out of possible 6 points this week. Sure, more was wanted, but, realistically when the week started, i think most would have said wins over Boston and Carolina would make it a successful week.

The Olympic break could not come any sooner for the Sabres though. I thought Montador was great tonight. He's been horrid for a month if not longer. Same with Tim Kennedy. Not sure what made them play awesome tonight? Maybe rest is what these guys need?

Also, not sure if mentioned, but, once again awesome thing the Sabres did pre-game ceremony to honor those heading to Vancouver. Does every team league wide do that? Anyone know? I spend most of the day watching the Olympics and the Sabres game and didn't see any other game and was wondering.

Not sure how many more of these kind of efforts the Sabres have left in them, as we saw last few weeks, this team is pretty fragile, but, it was a very good feeling seeing this team out play the Sharks. And for the record, i thought we outplayed them in San Jose too last month.

Good post. I agree with just about everything, although I'm not sure I would characterize Kennedy's play as "awesome." He was decent and not a train wreck, so definitely an improvement though.

Dog's like this on the Bills board as well. He doesn't go overboard with the "rah rah" crap, but is overall positive in his approach to both the Bills and Sabres. He's a good poster, no doubt.

SR on the otherhand, is like a tall can of Red Bull after sleeping for 12 hours.

There's reallistic optimism, then there's blind love. I'll pre-vote for Dog :thumbsup:

The question is not whose posts you like better, it's who is more optimistic. I stand by my position.

I thought the same thing as well. After the Carolina game I expected every time that SJ began a 2-man rush that he cameraman would pan back to show a lone Sabre defenseman having to deal with a 2 on 1. The defense however consistently had 2 men back and were able to deal very well with the oncoming attack. I will also say that the forwards did seem to do a good job back checking and not letting the third, or fourth men get open looks. That is the way the game should be played when we have a lead and it worked very effectively.

+1, although Rivet did get caught pinching on the Sharks' goal.

It really shouldn't be this hard to figure out. They need to play Miller as much as possible to secure a playoff spot, Partly due to not investing in a quality backup. Partly due to not making any significant improvements to the roster. And you're damn right I wanted Kovy. I wanted him in a Sabres uniform like I want any talented player to be in a Sabres uniform. I've never been against adding quality talent to the top end of the roster. The problem is that Regier has the roster burdened with so many bad contracts that they are close to Cap and he isn't competent enough to move out the bad contracts and bring in the players this team needs to make a serious run. Of course this is a mute point if Miller doesn't return to his early season form.

Well, although the Sabres do have a few bad contracts, they're in better shape than most teams who are close to the cap in that regard. Pommer and Hecht are both well overpaid, although the total savings if they were on realistic contracts is probably only about $3.5MM-$4MM. That's real money, but it's not like having $10MM+ in dead money like the Habs or Rangers do. (Although if Vanek doesn't rebound next year, then there's at least $4MM in dead money on his deal too.)

As for competence -- DR has made plenty of trades. His professional judgment is that the cost for guys who are currently available is too high. It's not because he's too baked to get off the couch and do his job. I also wouldn't have traded Butler, Sekera or Kassian for a rental, and I think many posters agree. I'll note in this regard that NJ lost again last night (5-2, to Carolina) and is 2-4 since trading for Kovy, including a miracle win against Toronto.

I think we both agree that even at this roster's absolute best it still isn't close to being good enough. Good enough being Stanley Cup contender. I don't agree that their problems can be "solved" from within. Maybe covered up by really good goaltending, still there none the less.

I wouldn't mind the decision to live or die with the current roster if there was some accountability. If this doesn't make a run in the playoffs who falls on the sword? Another wasted season goes buy and no changes will be made. I agree that this teams "success" comes from between the ears. I also think that part of that "between the ears" is a comfortableness that needs to be removed. There needs to be a major shakeup with the so called "core" group. Something that will wake the remaining players up. Something that will break this cycle of playing hard once in a while and floating for the majority of time. At some point a message needs to be sent that what they have right is just not good enough. A point we both agree on.

I agree that they aren't good enough this year, but not that they aren't CLOSE to good enough. I think they are close to good enough, and that what is needed is another piece or 2, plus maturation and improvement from the existing roster.

As for accountability -- I could be wrong, but I think if the Sabres limp into the playoffs and get cashed out 4-1 in the first round, DR and LR will both be gone. OTOH, if they win the division, beat someone in the 1st round and either win or put up a creditable effort in the 2nd round, I think they'll be back, and I think that will be a validation of their approach and their efforts and will be the right outcome.

I'm kind of late here, but where has this game been? This is the type of entire team effort that has been missing for at least 2-3 weeks. It's nice to go into the break on a high and back in the division lead, even though Ottawa can take it back today with a win. Miller looked sharp, Vanek looked like his old self with at least 4 good scoring chances that Nabokov was simply better on, and that assist on Gaustad's goal by Tallinder reminded me of the player from 2005-2007 whom we all thought was the best defenseman on the Buffalo Sabres. Good win, and good team effort. My only question is why did it take 2 weeks to find their game and where did it go?

+1

Ready to concede yet?

Good post. I agree with just about everything, although I'm not sure I would characterize Kennedy's play as "awesome." He was decent and not a train wreck, so definitely an improvement though.

The question is not whose posts you like better, it's who is more optimistic. I stand by my position.

Its true, If I can find a drop of good in something and its connected to the Buffalo Sabres or Bills, I'll turn that drop of good into an ocean of greatness. :D

They just called Mark Martin the Bills of Nascar...

FTR, Carolina wasn't good enough in "their year" either.

FTR, Carolina wasn't good enough in "their year" either.

What does that mean?

I think it's safe to say that Carolina team was better than this years Sabre team. Actually, they were better than that years Sabres team which is also better than this Sabre team. They had as many wins, 52, and outscored the Sabres.

Ready to concede yet?

Nope. Still going with Dog. Chugging a case of Red Bull and throwing on the blue & gold-colored glasses before screaming at everyone does not make one the most optimistic. Dog still gets the vote.

I agree that they aren't good enough this year, but not that they aren't CLOSE to good enough. I think they are close to good enough, and that what is needed is another piece or 2, plus maturation and improvement from the existing roster.

The "close" point is a interesting one. I am wondering why you think the Sabres are "close?" They have good goaltending which is a major part. Outside of Myers and Butler is there any certainty as to who will be back on the blue line next year? The only veteran bluliners under contract next season are Rivet and Montador. Both of whom have shown themselves to be tremendous liabilities. They won;t get younger or better.

Looking at the forwards, do the Sabres have six "top six" forwards? Connolly, Vanek, Roy, and Pominville. They have a top four. I like Kaleta, but he, Kennedy and Gaustasd best serve this team on the third and fourth lines. Hecht is hit or miss. The "grit" on this team is old. It's really old. Mair and Grier are only going to get a year older and a step slower and are UFA's. That leaves Stafford and MacArthur. A set of twins born of separate mothers. Stafford has a contract so is assured to be back baring a trade.

I see a team with 4 holes on defense and 2 in the "top six" forwards. I am interested to know which players in Portland you think/feel will fill holes next season. And do you think that Regier will make deals to fill in the "top six" forward spots.

Archived