Miller must be reading this forum

carpandean

He's still making plenty of saves (e.g., 3-on-0.) He's saying that they're all making bad plays, but that some of the guys are turning mistakes into, as he says, "woh is me" moments, instead of just shaking it off and moving on. Haven't we been calling for a leader who is willing to hold guys accountable? He's saying "sure, we're making our share of mistakes, but when you do, you've got to man the f**k up and play, instead of sulking in a corner." I've got no problem with what he said and he's probably the only guy in position to say it.

Miller followed the 3-on-0 save, moments later, by allowing an awful goal.

I've only been able to watch a handful of games the last few weeks, thankfully, but the product on the ice just looks different than what we were seeing early in the season. I agree Miller isn't stealing games anymore but I just don't think it's that simple. Myers game has tailed off, and in turn Tallinder's. Montador and Rivet went from being above average to AHL caliber, and the tight gaps between the forwards and defense seems to have been forgotten.

Yup, no question about it. The team D has definitely tailed off lately.

Ryan went off the deep end when Lindy pulled him against Pittsburgh. Has he really been the same since?

Speaking of odd remarks, here's another Miller gem from recent days:

"If I have one more flag near me or draped around me that's not at the [medals] podium ceremony, I'm going to lose it. All the hype that goes with it, I have a new respect for the Olympians that are on NBC all the time. They basically pump it up as the hope of the nation.

"It's tough enough being in Buffalo and being a goaltender here. With the kind of hype they're spinning on to it, it becomes a little distracting. But that's what people want. ... that's honestly part of the excitement."

"Tough enough being in Buffalo." Seriously? Wow. He's been beyond coddled by the fans and so-called media. Christ, the beat reporter is basically stalking the guy. "Most intellectual person I know." This numbnut? Double wow.

You're right Pa...personally, I don't have a lot of respect for weak people. In fact, weakness in personality does not make me want to coddle, it just pisses me off. I'm sure it may keep me out of heaven, you know, with the meek inheriting and all that, but what can I say.

With that said, I can kind of see where Ryan is coming from with that statement. I'll bet it IS tough being a goaltender in Buffalo. Remember, we had one of the greatest of all time between the pipes for us. Even if no media member or fan ever holds Ryan up to Dom, you gotta believe that the "ghost" of goaltenders past has got to mess with the mind of the current netminder. There's a lot to live up to, and you gotta be tough to handle those ghosts and expectations. It all goes back to the mental issue.

Why are most athletes emotional and moral cripples? Why can't good, strong men with talent and values be our leaders on the ice or the field or the court?

I don't know. Maybe because they are too busy being the back bone of our society... working and raising families. Too busy to play a game...except the odd game of MarioKart with the kids on a friday night :D

Why are most athletes emotional and moral cripples? Why can't good, strong men with talent and values be our leaders on the ice or the field or the court?

I give you Drew Brees. You know both parties are salivating at the idea of running him for office some day. Let's hope he's a liberal!

He also followed that up by talking about two bad penalties, and bad positioning on the PK. His criticism of the penalties, one of them the cross check by Rivet, was very pointed. Pretty stunning, actually, to call out your captain.

Well, maybe the captain should be the one calling out the rest of the team. The fact that Miller feels he needs to do this shows the leadership vacuum that exists on the team. The chemistry on this team started out OK at the beginning of the season but is going downhill as the season marches on. I don't know - are the other players envious of the fact that Miller was a no-brainer selection as the Team USA goaltender? Something is definitely wrong.

This is where the front office/coaching staff needs to step in. They do not need team members sniping at one another. The head coach needs to regain control of the team somehow and get them all moving in the same direction. The general manager needs to be evaluating who is willing to stay with the team and help pull them out of this slump and who is excess baggage and needs to go bye-bye.

But of course, the leadership vacuum extends to the Front office and coaching staff as well, so I'm not holding my breath.

Buffalo fans have certainly kept their part of the deal and have filled HSBC Arena pretty well over the past few seasons. Now, it is time for ownership to do what is necessary to give back a little value to the faithful that keep the cash flow going. If Darcy or Larry or OSP want to be taken seriously from this point on, something positive has to happen. Otherwise, their claim to "do everything possible to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo" is just another hollow promise. Our football team is already in disarray; we thought we could at least count on the Sabres......:(

Well, maybe the captain should be the one calling out the rest of the team. The fact that Miller feels he needs to do this shows the leadership vacuum that exists on the team. The chemistry on this team started out OK at the beginning of the season but is going downhill as the season marches on. I don't know - are the other players envious of the fact that Miller was a no-brainer selection as the Team USA goaltender? Something is definitely wrong.

This is where the front office/coaching staff needs to step in. They do not need team members sniping at one another. The head coach needs to regain control of the team somehow and get them all moving in the same direction. The general manager needs to be evaluating who is willing to stay with the team and help pull them out of this slump and who is excess baggage and needs to go bye-bye.

But of course, the leadership vacuum extends to the Front office and coaching staff as well, so I'm not holding my breath.

Buffalo fans have certainly kept their part of the deal and have filled HSBC Arena pretty well over the past few seasons. Now, it is time for ownership to do what is necessary to give back a little value to the faithful that keep the cash flow going. If Darcy or Larry or OSP want to be taken seriously from this point on, something positive has to happen. Otherwise, their claim to "do everything possible to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo" is just another hollow promise. Our football team is already in disarray; we thought we could at least count on the Sabres......:(

:worthy:

This team is who we thought they were. It's like when the stock market "corrects" itself. The Sabres season is correcting itself back to a fight for the 8th seed. That's what it's going to come down to. It was great when Miller was HOT and they could eeke out the 2-1 type game. That's gone now. Even when the Sabres were winning you could see they were being dominated plenty of the time. It was mostly goaltending that saved the day. I remember twice when Toronto carried the play even in our building? NOw they dominate for short spurts or maybe a period but that's about it. They just are not that good. People have to start realizing it's not just effort....they are not that talented. Also, it's sad to see the Sabres becoming the Slowest team in hockey. They appear to be outskated so often these days. They have no puck possession time. I'd like to see Darcy try to shake things up a bit. This formula has gone stale.

This team is who we thought they were. It's like when the stock market "corrects" itself. The Sabres season is correcting itself back to a fight for the 8th seed. That's what it's going to come down to. It was great when Miller was HOT and they could eeke out the 2-1 type game. That's gone now. Even when the Sabres were winning you could see they were being dominated plenty of the time. It was mostly goaltending that saved the day. I remember twice when Toronto carried the play even in our building? NOw they dominate for short spurts or maybe a period but that's about it. They just are not that good. People have to start realizing it's not just effort....they are not that talented. Also, it's sad to see the Sabres becoming the Slowest team in hockey. They appear to be outskated so often these days. They have no puck possession time. I'd like to see Darcy try to shake things up a bit. This formula has gone stale.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't mind Miller having an outburst, but his choice or words in describing his teammates is very puzzling...

"playing like fragile little kids" :blink:

I'm not even sure what that means.

He probably thought the consequences for using the word pussies in place of fragile little kids would be to harsh; after all LR is such a strict disciplinarian with the under performers on the team.

You don't necessarily need a lot of talent, just enough. The 1980 US Olympic team didn't have enough talent to win on talent alone. They won by being able to rely on each other and be disciplined in their game (they were also lucky enough to have a coach who knew how to beat the best team in the world).

I don't see much discipline in this team and I'm not just talking about bad penalties, either. It seems like the defensemen are all over the ice chasing after the opposing forwards, instead of sticking to a system. Some of the other teams I've watched (not Sabres and not just other NHL teams) would win because you can see players (F & D-men) staying in a spot in their defensive zone or staying on the point during a PP. It just seems like these guys aren't doing anything like this. Maybe they're not buying into Lindy or the assistants or they're just thinking they're talented enough to try and be a hero.

I'vw said it before and still feel the same, Miller is FRAIL, mind and body. Such stearn talk he is a joke

I agree. Miller is always trying to convince himself that he is mentally tough. But he's not. That's why he has to talk like this. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy but he will never be in the Elite status of all-time goalies. The demons get into his head and he can't brush them aside.

I don't mind Miller having an outburst, but his choice or words in describing his teammates is very puzzling...

"playing like fragile little kids" :blink:

I'm not even sure what that means.

Listen to Lindy Puff's presser from the same game and you'll have it made clear as crystal.

Yeah, he even said "and I'm off" in the second one. If they have a problem with it, then leadership isn't the problem; it's an inability to follow it. If they are too high on themselves and their own play to realize that it's not just bad luck, then they need to go.

He's still making plenty of saves (e.g., 3-on-0.) He's saying that they're all making bad plays, but that some of the guys are turning mistakes into, as he says, "woh is me" moments, instead of just shaking it off and moving on. Haven't we been calling for a leader who is willing to hold guys accountable? He's saying "sure, we're each making our share of mistakes, but when you do, you've got to man the f**k up and play, instead of sulking in a corner." I've got no problem with what he said and he's probably the only guy in position to say it.

:thumbsup:

Miller followed the 3-on-0 save, moments later, by allowing an awful goal.

On another odd man rush. I'm giving him a pass on that one. I'm more angry at back to back odd man rushes then I am at Miller letting in a goal on one of them.

You're making a really good point, although I don't think I understand the "slowest team in hockey" comment. But because they "are who we thought they were", we knew all along that this team, particularly lines 1 and 2, were not as talented as other rosters. Which is exactly WHY it is all about effort. When Miller says "I've been pissed off for months now", I'm right with him on that... because they haven't played more than a game or two in MONTHS where you can say "they all earned their money tonight". That's effort. I can barely stand to watch this team. Honestly, I don't think I've made it through a game in a while. I can't take it. The reason I can't take it is because of lack of effort. I was no where near as upset last night with Montador's mistake on the last play as I was with the whole team being "fragile little kids" as Ryan so eloquently put it. I think about 80% of these guys on the current roster would have gotten beat up by their own teammates (Schoenfeld, Korab, etc.) if they played for the Sabres of 30-40 years ago. This isn't even hockey. This is figure skating with sticks. Hockey is about 1:1 battles, speed, and anticipation. The Sabres don't even get the concept of a 1:1 battle and the effort that is necessary. Without it, speed and anticipation don't matter.

I don't know. Maybe because they are too busy being the back bone of our society... working and raising families. Too busy to play a game...except the odd game of MarioKart with the kids on a friday night :D

Perhaps if the media and fans were calling for their heads every time they hit a banana in MarioKart they would not appear as strong. Pro athletes are under quite a bit of pressure. If I make a mistake at work, I either fix it silently or take a slap on the wrist. It's not front page news.

Perhaps if the media and fans were calling for their heads every time they hit a banana in MarioKart they would not appear as strong. Pro athletes are under quite a bit of pressure. If I make a mistake at work, I either fix it silently or take a slap on the wrist. It's not front page news.

Would that be the pressure of casing HUGE checks for the efforts? They are compensated very well for what they do, quite a few don't do enough to merit the paycheck. So criticism and pressure are part of it.

I've only been able to watch a handful of games the last few weeks, thankfully, but the product on the ice just looks different than what we were seeing early in the season. I agree Miller isn't stealing games anymore but I just don't think it's that simple. Myers game has tailed off, and in turn Tallinder's. Montador and Rivet went from being above average to AHL caliber, and the tight gaps between the forwards and defense seems to have been forgotten.

Good post.

He's still making plenty of saves (e.g., 3-on-0.) He's saying that they're all making bad plays, but that some of the guys are turning mistakes into, as he says, "woh is me" moments, instead of just shaking it off and moving on. Haven't we been calling for a leader who is willing to hold guys accountable? He's saying "sure, we're each making our share of mistakes, but when you do, you've got to man the f**k up and play, instead of sulking in a corner." I've got no problem with what he said and he's probably the only guy in position to say it.

And another one.

Thanks.

I give you Drew Brees. You know both parties are salivating at the idea of running him for office some day. Let's hope he's a liberal!

Most football guys aren't.

So he says this one game before the Olympics? That's leadership right there. Ryan's just getting nervous about being on the Olympic stage. Personally, I think he's gonna get lit up.

The mental strength has never been there for this guy. From day one. His comments are not surprising. They will not earn respect in that lockerroom. Not when he has been as big a part of the problem as anyone during this streak.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on this.

Well?

Or else what? You might continue to blow off riveting, history-making hockey games and then post snide comments about them?

U-S-A! U-S-A!

No, I'd be careful not to shoot your wad prematurely, that's all.

What history was made last night? A serious question. Maybe I'm missing something.

Archived