Miller must be reading this forum

carpandean

From his post-game interview:

We need to stop playing like fragile little kids out there.
The forwards are off, the D's off and I'm off.
Everyone was just more going into a shell, than sitting there shocked. I guess we were just taking it as another negative thing happening, "woh is me", and that's not the attitude we need right now.
I've been pissed off for weeks; months. I don't think we've been playing well enough for a long time. We've been getting away with it, but ...
We're not going to coast into the playoffs. If we keep up this pace, we're not even going to make the playoffs. This is getting ridiculous. We need to wake up.

The first one was my favorite. :thumbsup:

(I know this could have gone in the GDT, but it felt bigger than that.)

This is very odd indeed. It wouldn't surprise me. Band memebers secretly post in their forums often, so this isn't too far off.

I'd like to see Miller go nuts in Vancouver, and steal the US the gold. Then watch the Sabres fall out of the playoff race. Would Darcy make a move in the offseason then?

This is very odd indeed. It wouldn't surprise me. Band memebers secretly post in their forums often, so this isn't too far off.

I'd like to see Miller go nuts in Vancouver, and steal the US the gold. Then watch the Sabres fall out of the playoff race. Would Darcy make a move in the offseason then?

Yes, Darcy would make a move if the US steals gold in Vancouver and the Sabres fall out of the playoff race. He's sign Dominic Moore! :wallbash:

I wonder how his teammates feel about him throwing them under the bus, even if it is deserved.

I know Darcy and Lindy will tow the company line, "we need to work through this". While I feel they would be better for overcoming these problems, I'm not sure they can. Their team defense is in disarray.

I wonder how his teammates feel about him throwing them under the bus, even if it is deserved.

I know Darcy and Lindy will tow the company line, "we need to work through this". While I feel they would be better for overcoming these problems, I'm not sure they can. Their team defense is in disarray.

Thought the same thing, but what are they gonna do? Stop coming to his aid when somebody runs him? :wallbash:

I doubt his teammates care at all.

Can we please stop with the idea that something has changed with the "team defense?" "Disarray", it is exactly has it has been all season. They are giving up as many shots and scoring chances as they did all season. The only difference is that Miller isn't stealing games for them right now.

Thought the same thing, but what are they gonna do? Stop coming to his aid when somebody runs him? :wallbash:

:worthy:

I really hope the "fragile little kids" comment hits home with a few people.

Hate to bring up a sore subject, but these losing streaks were never happening with the old on-ice regime. This team has never regained true leadership since July 1, 2007.

So he says this one game before the Olympics? That's leadership right there. Ryan's just getting nervous about being on the Olympic stage. Personally, I think he's gonna get lit up.

The mental strength has never been there for this guy. From day one. His comments are not surprising. They will not earn respect in that lockerroom. Not when he has been as big a part of the problem as anyone during this streak.

[/b]

I doubt his teammates care at all.

Can we please stop with the idea that something has changed with the "team defense?" "Disarray", it is exactly has it has been all season. They are giving up as many shots and scoring chances as they did all season. The only difference is that Miller isn't stealing games for them right now.

While I agree to a certain extent that the D's given up too many shots all season, at least we didn't see 3 on 0's or consecutive odd man rushes earlier in the season.

I don't mind Miller having an outburst, but his choice or words in describing his teammates is very puzzling...

"playing like fragile little kids" :blink:

I'm not even sure what that means.

I think he was referring to how everyone was busy feeling sorry for themselves after the 'Canes tied it up, instead of going back out saying, "ok fine, 2 period hockey game then instead of 3 periods".

Ryan's just getting nervous about being on the Olympic stage. Personally, I think he's gonna get lit up.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on this.

The mental strength has never been there for this guy. From day one. His comments are not surprising. They will not earn respect in that lockerroom. Not when he has been as big a part of the problem as anyone during this streak.

Yep. Miller's play earlier this season, had me believing that not only had he raised his game mentally, but also in terms of his play. These last three weeks, combined with his comments last night make me wonder if I was wrong.

Someone had to do it.... and he included himself in there too! They are playing lazy, sloppy, and like candy a$$es!

Ryan went off the deep end when Lindy pulled him against Pittsburgh. Has he really been the same since?

Speaking of odd remarks, here's another Miller gem from recent days:

"If I have one more flag near me or draped around me that's not at the [medals] podium ceremony, I'm going to lose it. All the hype that goes with it, I have a new respect for the Olympians that are on NBC all the time. They basically pump it up as the hope of the nation.

"It's tough enough being in Buffalo and being a goaltender here. With the kind of hype they're spinning on to it, it becomes a little distracting. But that's what people want. ... that's honestly part of the excitement."

"Tough enough being in Buffalo." Seriously? Wow. He's been beyond coddled by the fans and so-called media. Christ, the beat reporter is basically stalking the guy. "Most intellectual person I know." This numbnut? Double wow.

Spot on.

Yep. Miller's play earlier this season, had me believing that not only had he raised his game mentally, but also in terms of his play. These last three weeks, combined with his comments last night make me wonder if I was wrong.

Yeah that's a tough call. I suspect PA is right and the pressure of the Olympics and seeing his team melt down in front of him has him highly frustrated. The olympic pressure is a bit unique the team melt down he's seen before.

My read it's another indictment on the team leadership issue and his way of trying to get the "kids" on the team to respond. I personally do not want to hear maturity as an excuse with this team anymore. He is dead on that there are absolutely way too many floaters trying to coast out there. Last and I do not mean to turn this into a coach bashing but isn't it Lindy's job to get these kids set to play or is he the one that's messed up a lot of player's Psyche's e.g. whether to pinch or play D; or stay out and press a chance or don't dare stay on the ice more than 30-40 sec's; if you make a mistake you bill benched; , coach is responsible to help build player's confidence by putting them in right situation and pressing the right buttons. Maybe he is too occupied with the olympics also right now.

[/b]

I've only been able to watch a handful of games the last few weeks, thankfully, but the product on the ice just looks different than what we were seeing early in the season. I agree Miller isn't stealing games anymore but I just don't think it's that simple. Myers game has tailed off, and in turn Tallinder's. Montador and Rivet went from being above average to AHL caliber, and the tight gaps between the forwards and defense seems to have been forgotten.

:worthy:

I really hope the "fragile little kids" comment hits home with a few people.

Hate to bring up a sore subject, but these losing streaks were never happening with the old on-ice regime. This team has never regained true leadership since July 1, 2007.

Excellent Point. I especially think Drury knit this team together from a mental toughness perspective.

Is he throwing anybody under the bus? In all the quotes, he makes reference to "we", not "they". He's definitely including himself in the criticism, which is less likely to rub his teammates the wrong way.

Is he throwing anybody under the bus? In all the quotes, he makes reference to "we", not "they". He's definitely including himself in the criticism, which is less likely to rub his teammates the wrong way.

You really think Miller thinks of himself as a fragile little kid?

He also followed that up by talking about two bad penalties, and bad positioning on the PK. His criticism of the penalties, one of them the cross check by Rivet, was very pointed. Pretty stunning, actually, to call out your captain.

How about just making a save?

In all the quotes, he makes reference to "we", not "they". He's definitely including himself in the criticism

Yeah, he even said "and I'm off" in the second one. If they have a problem with it, then leadership isn't the problem; it's an inability to follow it. If they are too high on themselves and their own play to realize that it's not just bad luck, then they need to go.

You really think Miller thinks of himself as a fragile little kid?

He also followed that up by talking about two bad penalties, and bad positioning on the PK. His criticism of the penalties, one of them the cross check by Rivet, was very pointed. Pretty stunning, actually, to call out your captain.

How about just making a save?

He's still making plenty of saves (e.g., 3-on-0.) He's saying that they're all making bad plays, but that some of the guys are turning mistakes into, as he says, "woh is me" moments, instead of just shaking it off and moving on. Haven't we been calling for a leader who is willing to hold guys accountable? He's saying "sure, we're each making our share of mistakes, but when you do, you've got to man the f**k up and play, instead of sulking in a corner." I've got no problem with what he said and he's probably the only guy in position to say it.

Archived