Toronto acquires G Giguere and D Phaneuf

Hawk

As a Buffalo fan, I wouldn't be too excited. What I am expecting is a trade with Anaheim that gets them J.S. Giguere and a trade of Toskala and a roster player like Stajan or Ponikarovsky to Anaheim. Their goalies are terrible and with the Hiller extension, clearly Giguere is out and this gives him a chance to become a starter again. Nobody's coming to Buffalo from Toronto, is my guess, unless it involves a 2nd round draft choice that was traded through 7 different teams all on trade deadline day and arrives in Toronto.

As a Buffalo fan, I wouldn't be too excited. What I am expecting is a trade with Anaheim that gets them J.S. Giguere and a trade of Toskala and a roster player like Stajan or Ponikarovsky to Anaheim. Their goalies are terrible and with the Hiller extension, clearly Giguere is out and this gives him a chance to become a starter again. Nobody's coming to Buffalo from Toronto, is my guess, unless it involves a 2nd round draft choice that was traded through 7 different teams all on trade deadline day and arrives in Toronto.

A lot of talk in Leafs Nation revolves around Chicago, involving Campbell and Sharp

A lot of talk in Leafs Nation revolves around Chicago, involving Campbell and Sharp

The Leafs don't have any draft picks to send to Chicago. They gave all of them away to Boston for Kessel. Chicago can't take on too much salary in return because they need to dump salary and guys like Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Grabovski just aren't going to cut it in return and Burke has said Kaberle's going nowhere. This is why a Giguere deal makes more sense to me, but I guess anything's possible.

:blink: Phaneuf to Leafs!!!!!!

Realtor To Phaneuf:

"How did all these holes get in your walls?" :lol:

Edit: Details of who the Flames get in return is still unknown, but when asked if forwards Matt Stajan and Niklas Hagman were main components in the deal, a source told TSN, "it's bigger than that."

Realtor To Phaneuf:

"How did all these holes get in your walls?" :lol:

Edit: Details of who the Flames get in return is still unknown, but when asked if forwards Matt Stajan and Niklas Hagman were main components in the deal, a source told TSN, "it's bigger than that."

Two teams in dire need of a shakeup have done just that, as the Calgary Flames have shipped defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

I could be wrong, but the Leafs are going to be a much tougher opponent to handle - especially with Phaneuf in the mix.

EDIT: Hard to believe that Larry's gone from our division now, but I guess TO didn't need him anymore.

I'm not at all surprised by the Giguere deal at all. I think it is in the process of being announced, reportedly Giguere and a #1 pick to Toronto for Toskala and a prospect in return. It gets the Leafs back into the first round after trading their pick to Boston.

I'm totally floored by the Phaneuf deal. He had a great game last night, and I did not see that one coming. Given the number of players involved, it reminds me of one of those old school Cliff Fletcher deals when he traded Hull to the Blues, and then later acquired Gilmour from St. Louis, and then traded for Gilmour with Risebrough when he was in Toronto. This is a huge old school blockbuster deal. I haven't seen one of these in a long time, and that too, this far ahead of the trade deadline. Last huge deal like this with multiple players that happened this far in advance of the trade deadline that I can remember was the Blake trade to Colorado with Reinprecht for Aaron Miller and Adam Deadmarsh. I like seeing these huge blockbuster old school trades.

As for the deals, themselves, clearly this makes Toronto a better team. However, aside from goaltending, their big problem is actually up front and scoring. These two deals don't solve that at all. It makes them tougher and physical with the addition of Phaneuf to Komisarek and Beauchemin, but still not enough offense up front. Kessel cannot do it alone. I still don't think Toronto makes the playoffs this year, but they'll be much more competitive next year, especially if they are able to sign a strong forward.

Connolly REALLY better keep his head up when we play TO now that Phaneuf brings his open-ice devastating hits to them. Hope I'm not jinxing him, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this initial thought!

PM

We only play them one more time this year. By next year Phaneuf will be traded again.

The Calgary Flames have traded defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and prospect defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

Giguere will end up in Toronto and Toskala will end up in Anaheim

Thanks for the update...Even though it was already reported in this thread. :oops:

I guess Burke doesn't believe you need to wait till the deadline. He gets a young All-Star hammer on the blueline and upgrades his goaltending along with getting back a #1 pick. The Sabres better sellout and go for it this year. Burke's Leafs are going to own the Northeast Division in the very near future.

Archived