Toronto acquires G Giguere and D Phaneuf

Hawk

That 38% scoring got them where? Dead last in the Conference.

Burke moved some "potential" for a legit stud on the blueline. With the exception of Myers and Miller I couldn't name four Sabres I wouldn't trade for Phaneuf. How good of a tandem would Myers and Phanuef be? You're talking maybe the top pairing in the league at some point. Burke is a big time GM in a huge market with loads of assets at his disposal. He dumps Blake and the two remaining years at $4 Mil and has a decent goalie at $6 mill for only one more season. He picks up Phaneuf who is locked in till 2014 and dumps 2 UFA (Stajan and and Mayers) 1 RFA in White and Hagman who is set to make $6 mil over the next two seasons which is a bad contract for a 30 year old 20ish a year goal scorer.

This a monster move for the Leafs. The kind of move many of us feared when Burke took over the Leafs.

I agree with much of this post, and that Toronto is a better team than they were yesterday, and that these were savvy moves by Burke, but I don't think they have improved as much as you perhaps think they have. I think Toronto is still going to stink next year.

I also think the bolded statement is a wild exaggeration.

I agree with much of this post, and that Toronto is a better team than they were yesterday, and that these were savvy moves by Burke, but I don't think they have improved as much as you perhaps think they have. I think Toronto is still going to stink next year.

Agreed, Although It would have made it interesting here in Buffalo if Darcy pulled off a couple of trades at this time, and one of them nabbed Phaneuf.

Toronto did get better on the blueline today. I wonder if Kaberle would waive that clause if he could stay local, say..........Buffalo? I mean, he didn't come out and say we need him here, he is a core component of the rebuild. After all, Burke is going to need some offense, MacArthur or Stafford perhaps? Just lookin at a possible opportunity is all.

I guess Burke doesn't believe you need to wait till the deadline. He gets a young All-Star hammer on the blueline and upgrades his goaltending along with getting back a #1 pick. The Sabres better sellout and go for it this year. Burke's Leafs are going to own the Northeast Division in the very near future.

I think you may be leaning a bit too far forward. The Leafs have got other major issues, to include not bringing enough guys up through their farm systems to keep the salary cap in check down the line. They improved, but better than us and Ottawa over the next couple of years? You are right though, the Sabres need to give it a good shot this year with Miller playing the way he is and the "system" working as well.

I know that Phaneuf is having a down year and there are some rumblings out there about him being a disruptive force in the locker room, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the multiple players for one very good player. I still think Boston got the short end of the stick in the Thorton trade and I think time will show that Toronto ends up being the big winner in this trade.

Familiarity breeds contempt. People here hated Dave Andreychuk by the time he left. He went on to a great career. Just look at Sabre fan's opinions of Vanek recently.

Perhaps. There would be a lot of Buffalo fans who would say the same thing about Vanek were he traded and some might say it about Miller, so ...

Don't get me wrong, either, I respect that Burke is willing to do these sort of things. They may not always work out, but you damn sure know that he's always thinking about and trying to improve his team. He's the anti-Darcy ... for good and bad.

Well, perhaps an interesting domino effect, or at least Larry Brooks' speculation. Apparently, Kotalik has been sent home from the Rangers Western Road Swing because a trade is imminent involving him. Brooks speculates that Kotalik might end up in Toronto in exchange for Garnet Exelby. It would seem very anti-Burke to do a deal like this since Kotalik is the antithesis of everything Burke believes a hockey player should be while Exelby is everything he believes a hockey player should be. Kotalik is not the soft, high scoring forward of the calibre of say Naslund he had in Vancouver or Selanne in Anaheim. I don't see it happening, but it certainly looks like Kotalik is getting traded.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/ales_kotalik_leaves_rangers_over_fmjYG1tgtTd2bcYnXMcpbN#ixzz0eF4jxx8C

Dreger reporting that there are complications involving a Kotalik trade right now via twitter:

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

I guess Burke doesn't believe you need to wait till the deadline. He gets a young All-Star hammer on the blueline and upgrades his goaltending along with getting back a #1 pick. The Sabres better sellout and go for it this year. Burke's Leafs are going to own the Northeast Division in the very near future.

Upgrades his goaltending? Giguere is a friggin' shell. There's a reason he lost his job and Toronto got a 1 for taking that salary for a guy who's 4-8-5 with a very average save percentage.

The DP deal is a good one for the Leafs - there's little doubt about that but they're going to have a hell of a time finding someone to score for them because there's nothing in their pipeline.

Upgrades his goaltending? Giguere is a friggin' shell. There's a reason he lost his job and Toronto got a 1 for taking that salary for a guy who's 4-8-5 with a very average save percentage.

The DP deal is a good one for the Leafs - there's little doubt about that but they're going to have a hell of a time finding someone to score for them because there's nothing in their pipeline.

I have not yet read a published report stating that the Leaves got a first-round pick, and I don't think they did. They did upgrade at G (come on, Toskala is not a starter-quality G), and they made a hell of a shake-up.

Let's put it this way: If the Sabs were in the basement of the league, and we had Toskala as our G, would you be upset with this? Most of us, I think, would be excited in that situation. Especially when coupled with the Phaneuf deal. It means something's happening and someone cares. (Look what the TO signing did for Bills fans.)

And I actually think that long-term, the Leaves improved themselves today.

It's my honest opinion, not exaggerated at all. If I was saying everyone felt that way it would be a "wild exaggeration." You know I don't think much of this roster beyond a player here and there. If I could get a Phaneuf? Sure as hell I would have sent Calgary the roster and said pick four. Of course, Miller and Myers name would not be on that list.

If Regier was the GM you would be right. I have not doubt that Burke will find his scoring. It won't all be done this season. It will get done. At the end of the day Toronto got a difference maker and only had to give up bit parts to do it.

Funny thing, on TSN they were saying that Ian White is playing just as well as Phaneuf is right now. I find it hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure that they weren't talking about the physical aspect of the game.

I don't watch the Leafs often but i've always been impressed with White's game when the Leafs play Buffalo.

Phaneuf is a much better hitter then White, but like you stated, McKenzie said if you ask pro scouts, they would all favor White, both offensively and defensively.

I do like this trade for Calgary. Not sure about the Kotalik trade. Their faceoff percentage is among the worst in the league. I think Hagman is a fantastic player and plays a well 2-way game and recently i read an article online about the Stars struggles this season and one mentioned they miss Hagman. Looks like Hagman will play with Iginla now.

Funny thing, on TSN they were saying that Ian White is playing just as well as Phaneuf is right now. I find it hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure that they weren't talking about the physical aspect of the game.

I'm going to miss seeing ol' handlebars in the division.

Anaheim are turning into the Leaves of the west with goaltending - they had already traded for Pogge before the season and now they have rubber-flippers Tosky.. the Sharks must be licking their chops!

It's my honest opinion, not exaggerated at all. If I was saying everyone felt that way it would be a "wild exaggeration." You know I don't think much of this roster beyond a player here and there. If I could get a Phaneuf? Sure as hell I would have sent Calgary the roster and said pick four. Of course, Miller and Myers name would not be on that list.

Fair enough insofar as you are talking about your own opinion. I think most hockey observers would consider the notion of offering up any 4 players from the roster other than Miller and Myers in exchange for Phaneuf a wild exaggeration. Look at what Calgary actually got for him.

Toronto gets Phaneuf which is a good long term deal for them as well as dumping salary.

But seriously, they are really back to square one with very little on the farm and a draft they traded away for Kessle.

They still have no goaltender, no scoring, and no 1st or 2nd line.

Toronto is always trying to shop its way out of serious flaws.

Quick dividends for Burke and the Leafs. Giguere with the 3-0 shutout over the Devils. With the new Leafs sweeping the 3 stars. It's been a great couple of days for Leaf fans.

Bernier had a great first game with the Sabres, too ...

But, seriously, I agree that I would be pretty excited as a Leafs' fan. Of course, they were sitting dead last without their own first round pick, so they pretty much had nowhere to go but up. If Darcy had made that kind of move either of the last two years, I'm sure we would all have been excited. This year, with their current position, it's not the type of move that GMs make.

Bernier had a great first game with the Sabres, too ...

But, seriously, I agree that I would be pretty excited as a Leafs' fan. Of course, they were sitting dead last without their own first round pick, so they pretty much had nowhere to go but up. If Darcy had made that kind of move either of the last two years, I'm sure we would all have been excited. This year, with their current position, it's not the type of move that GMs make.

If I'm a leafs fan, I love picking up Phaneuf, but hate that they will only have 9 million dollars to bring in 13 players next year.

Burke has to move Kaberle and Finger and figure out how to get a center. , but the good news is there is no hurry.

Another sad season for that franchise.

If I'm a leafs fan, I love picking up Phaneuf, but hate that they will only have 9 million dollars to bring in 13 players next year.

Burke has to move Kaberle and Finger and figure out how to get a center. , but the good news is there is no hurry.

Another sad season for that franchise.

Good call, although if I were a Leafs fan, I'd rather unload Komisarek than Kaberle.

Archived