Miller wearing down?

LabattBlue

but you would also think that putting on 15-20 pounds wouldn't hurt him in a negative way either.

really? my instinct is that adding that sort of bulk to his frame (~10% of his current weight) would wreak complete havoc with his game.

Miller's build is fine.

agreed. anyone ever stand next to dom in his prime? that guy appeared downright skeletal.

I don't need a goalie with a build like Rick DiPietro. The guy is a giant muscle, but his groin's made of dry-rotted rubber bands. No thanks on the weight gain...

+1 and :lol:

What is all this standing next to skinny goaltenders who are dripping wet and eyeing them up and sitting next to them in restaurants and watching them eat?

Beyond creepy.

so awesome.

true story: i was working for a process service company (i.e., one that serves legal papers and such) at the time that i beheld the dominator in his natural surroundings. i was between undergrad and grad schools at the time and was just making a buck. i remember 3 things about the incident: (1) there was no effort to maintain the landscaping at his home (believe it was in east amherst) -- i double-checked the address because the place looked abandoned, not like the home of an elite nhl player. (2) when he answered the door, he was on the phone speaking in czech (presumably), holding an unopened can of beer, and wearing just a pair of long basketball-type shorts and a pair of flip-flops. again, skeletal, i say. (3) the full extent of our "exchange":

[Dom]: [Opens door, does not stop phone conversation, stares violently into the depths of my soul.]

[Me]: Mr. Hasek?

[Dom]: [Continues to talk, stare.]

[Me]: Uhm, these are for you. [Proffers papers.]

[Dom]: [Continues to talk, stare, but does not take papers.]

[Me]: [Drops papers near/onto his flip-flops. Turns, flees.]

[Dom]: [Opens door, does not stop phone conversation, stares violently into the depths of my soul.]

:lol:

so awesome.

true story: i was working for a process service company (i.e., one that serves legal papers and such) at the time that i beheld the dominator in his natural surroundings. i was between undergrad and grad schools at the time and was just making a buck. i remember 3 things about the incident: (1) there was no effort to maintain the landscaping at his home (believe it was in east amherst) -- i double-checked the address because the place looked abandoned, not like the home of an elite nhl player. (2) when he answered the door, he was on the phone speaking in czech (presumably), holding an unopened can of beer, and wearing just a pair of long basketball-type shorts and a pair of flip-flops. again, skeletal, i say. (3) the full extent of our "exchange":

Now come on. What really happened next?

Finally, Miller wearing down is along the same lines as the misconceptions with "video scouting."

If he wears down at all, its a mental drain and has nothing to do with the weight he is carrying or the shots he is facing.

Agreed - Miller said as much following the '07-'08 season when he played 76 games. We've all seen how intensely he concentrates during stoppages and tries to stay focused - and there have been ample reports from the media on how much prep time he spends before games. Having to mentally stay ready and deal with the pressure that the team's chances for succeeding more or less rest solely on his shoulders is definitely something that drains him mentally and emotionally. Add in that his team has been routinely getting outshot in the second quarter of the season (wasn't it the other way around in the first 20 games?); the turnovers his defense make on a regular basis; and how unreliable the scoring has been and it's bound to drain him.

Like many fans, I worry too that the Olympics will be an even more intense period for him because of the pressure he'll put on himself to carry the US team. No one is realistically predicting the Americans to medal. And, as soon as he returns from Vancouver, he'll be tasked with not only keeping his team in the division lead but carrying them deep into the playoffs. Sure, it's a team game and the Sabres have 22 other players that have to pitch in - but there's no denying that this team is as dead in the water without Miller as the Sabres of the 90s were without Hasek.

I remember them saying something during one of the games about Miller switching from the stationary bike to swimming because it impacts the joints less. Basically, they said that the joints are what really take the abuse of being a goalie and by switching to a friendlier workout, it should help him perform better, longer.

Agreed - Miller said as much following the '07-'08 season when he played 76 games. We've all seen how intensely he concentrates during stoppages and tries to stay focused - and there have been ample reports from the media on how much prep time he spends before games. Having to mentally stay ready and deal with the pressure that the team's chances for succeeding more or less rest solely on his shoulders is definitely something that drains him mentally and emotionally. Add in that his team has been routinely getting outshot in the second quarter of the season (wasn't it the other way around in the first 20 games?); the turnovers his defense make on a regular basis; and how unreliable the scoring has been and it's bound to drain him.

Like many fans, I worry too that the Olympics will be an even more intense period for him because of the pressure he'll put on himself to carry the US team. No one is realistically predicting the Americans to medal. And, as soon as he returns from Vancouver, he'll be tasked with not only keeping his team in the division lead but carrying them deep into the playoffs. Sure, it's a team game and the Sabres have 22 other players that have to pitch in - but there's no denying that this team is as dead in the water without Miller as the Sabres of the 90s were without Hasek.

Sabres allowed 30 or more shots eight times in the first 20 games; 15 times in the next 20 games; and seven times in the last 11 games.

I remember them saying something during one of the games about Miller switching from the stationary bike to swimming because it impacts the joints less. Basically, they said that the joints are what really take the abuse of being a goalie and by switching to a friendlier workout, it should help him perform better, longer.

I thought he was just using this to bulk up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

so awesome.

It wouldn't surprise me if those papers were from some lawsuit his neighbors initiated. One of my favorite stories about him was the number of times his car would be on the lawn and his trunk would always be open. One of his neighbors finally figured out that he would come home in one of his stupors and he would be trying to open the garage but would be pushing the button for the trunk

It wouldn't surprise me if those papers were from some lawsuit his neighbors initiated. One of my favorite stories about him was the number of times his car would be on the lawn and his trunk would always be open. One of his neighbors finally figured out that he would come home in one of his stupors and he would be trying to open the garage but would be pushing the button for the trunk

This is absolutely hilarious.

Guy was in a hurry to get to the little goalie's room. "Must pee! I must pee!"

I am sorry.

It should be noted, given the seriousness of the situation, the Sabres organization employed what amounted to 2 full time "babysitters" to try and keep Dom from hurting himself or others although mostly they just got to know most of the surrounding police agencies. At least one of these guys has worked his way into a pretty nice position with the team.

Can you imagine how worn out he will be following the olympics? I sure wish it was the kids playing the pros of the world like it used to be. Now, maybe we can realize the value of a backup that is dependable....Or is it truly evident that our team is 80% Miller. seriously, send Vanek packing and move that Salary to attract a good backup.

This was been brought up over the years and was mentioned last night by the Canucks broadcast team last night. Why does Miller who is 6'2", still weigh a string bean like 170 pounds? Through a strength program with a correct diet, he can't put on 15-20 pounds? Wouldn't this help him during the stretch run of each season in terms of strength, stamina and possibly even injury prevention?

Just wondering. :)

Yea great idea, get rid of the sabres leading goal man for a backup. Vanek has not been him self but if he gets hot going into the playoffs he will be huge what do back up goalie's do in the playoffs??????... Set on there ass. Would be a bad move everone has to stop overeacting. The best goalies in the world play alot of games miller needs to do the same and take the rest when he can....

Can you imagine how worn out he will be following the olympics? I sure wish it was the kids playing the pros of the world like it used to be. Now, maybe we can realize the value of a backup that is dependable....Or is it truly evident that our team is 80% Miller. seriously, send Vanek packing and move that Salary to attract a good backup.

Yeah, let's go out and get a $6mil backup goalie, great idea!

Holy cow.

Yeah, let's go out and get a $6mil backup goalie, great idea!

Holy cow.

Yeah, sounds like a plan. I bet we could even bring back Hasek for that kind of money, what are we waiting for?? :wallbash:

Seriously though, all Ruff needs to do is play Lalime every 4th or 5th game, and I feel pretty certain he'll be able to go somewhere close to .500.

Not sure what else we can expect from a backup? Step in for Miller if he goes down, and carry the team on his back? Not many backups do that, and when they do, they rarely do it for very long.

Yup, it'd be nice to have a Cam Ward or Patrick Roy coming up through the system, but I'm sure every other team feels that way.

If your starter goes down in the playoffs, you're usually in trouble. Goes for pretty much every team. Although backups have known to catch fire in that situation before, I can pretty much guarantee you the coach's first thought is always something along the lines of "Oh #%^$#!.....".

Give the backup some playing time instead, and tell the team next time they hang him out to dry, they earn themselves a nice long pukeskate after the game.

Archived