No more MSG on DirecTV starting Friday?

cdexchange

what the hell is going on with Direc TV? Jesus, I JUST got the CI package, and now I might not get ANY Sabres games at all? Or does this only affect the HD signals?

I don't know about MSG's contract through Center Ice and how that translates to DirecTV's contract with Center Ice but even if the MSG feed were pulled altogether, you would still have the opponent's TV feed of the Sabres games when televised. That wouldn't be great obviously but it's better than not seeing a single Sabres game.

The MSG situation has to impact the Rangers, Devils and Islanders too - right? I can't see DirecTV being so stubborn in negotiations with MSG so as to exclude coverage of 4 of the NHL teams advertised as part of the Center Ice package.

Do you by any chance know why, if they could hammer out a contract like this, that the contract didn't also include the ability to provide MSG on HD to Center Ice subscribers (outside Buffalo market)?

According to this article, the contract expired on 12-31-09 - yet the Sabres' game yesterday was televised fine through Center Ice for me....?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/441680-Rainbow_Media_MSG_Face_Contract_Expiration_With_DirecTV.php

According to this article, the contract expired on 12-31-09 - yet the Sabres' game yesterday was televised fine through Center Ice for me....?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/441680-Rainbow_Media_MSG_Face_Contract_Expiration_With_DirecTV.php

I'm getting concerned that today's game isn't showing as an upcoming game. Since it's Montreal they don't run the other broadcast which would be in French. Looks like I'm getting rid of DTV ASAP. Anyone know about an internet only viewing package?

Does anyone have Dish? I m done w/ DirectTV if this happens. Never had a good Comcast experience, either.

I am wondering about DISH too ... I just got a new 42" HD TV but DirectTV says in order to get the HD package, I have to tack on another 24 months! I am getting ready to dump them by the end of March - before Buffalo makes the playoffs and most of the games are on VS. DIRECTTV is getting as bad as cable. A great TV and not able for HD ... :wallbash:

I'm getting concerned that today's game isn't showing as an upcoming game. Since it's Montreal they don't run the other broadcast which would be in French. Looks like I'm getting rid of DTV ASAP. Anyone know about an internet only viewing package?

Well this just pisses me off. Just yesterday it was in the guide and was scheduled to record. Now it's gone. WTF?

Why the hell can't every system have the NFL Ticket and CI so we can choose who to get. I'm sick of this crap.

Hey Guys,

I've been following this thread with interest as a DTV subscriber in Va. I also don't see the game listed on my guide. I called DTV to see what was up. The final verdict is that according to Customer Service's program guide, the Buffalo Sahb-rus (not kidding - that is how the guy said it) versus the Montreal Canadiens is listed on channel 770 at 3:00.

Take it for what its worth.......

Hey Guys,

I've been following this thread with interest as a DTV subscriber in Va. I also don't see the game listed on my guide. I called DTV to see what was up. The final verdict is that according to Customer Service's program guide, the Buffalo Sahb-rus (not kidding - that is how the guy said it) versus the Montreal Canadiens is listed on channel 770 at 3:00.

Take it for what its worth.......

LOL! Buffalo is actually in Israel, I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_(person)

Does anyone have Dish? I m done w/ DirectTV if this happens. Never had a good Comcast experience, either.

Try FiOS.

Comcast is horrible...maybe one game a night is in high def...maybe...and never the sabres...no matter which feed.

I don't see how Dish will be better. The companies are essentially monopolies...and they all suck for one reason or another.

I have been thinking HARD about dropping DTV and getting FIOS. Anyone care to let us know how thier HD service is, especially if you have CI through them?

I'd like to know too.. Especially the money grubbing aspects of it like:

How many boxes do you need per house, per TV?

Price per box if any?

How much is the DVR service?

Do they charge for HD service?

Can you get CI or even just MSG?

I'm going to pull the trigger at the end of the CI season. The Bills don't make a compelling enough argument to waste 300 dollars on them anymore. So, I'm just in it for the CI and that can be had outside of the DTV.

I'd like to know too.. Especially the money grubbing aspects of it like:

How many boxes do you need per house, per TV?

Price per box if any?

How much is the DVR service?

Do they charge for HD service?

Can you get CI or even just MSG?

I'm going to pull the trigger at the end of the CI season. The Bills don't make a compelling enough argument to waste 300 dollars on them anymore. So, I'm just in it for the CI and that can be had outside of the DTV.

Agreed, I am in the exact same situation as you. I don't think spending over 300 bucks to get repeatedly kicked in the ballz every Sunday is worth it anymore, so I'm only in it for the CI. I bet SDS will know, I believe he has FIOS...

• 3 weeks later...

In a month or two, I get to pick between Direct TV or Comast for TV service. Can anyone share an experience they've had with Comcast? I've had Direct TV before so I pretty much know what to expect. I'm thinking about Comcast because of the Versus issue with Direct TV. I havent heard anything good about Comcast's TV/Phone/Internet quality though. Verizon fios is not available in the area I am moving to so thats out of the question. Apparantly Direct TV and Verizon have teamed up now and are selling a "bundle" (phone/tv service). But then I have to get internet still which leaves me with the only provider in the area--Comcast..... Does comcast charge per box like Direct? Any insight is appreciated.

In a month or two, I get to pick between Direct TV or Comast for TV service. Can anyone share an experience they've had with Comcast? I've had Direct TV before so I pretty much know what to expect. I'm thinking about Comcast because of the Versus issue with Direct TV. I havent heard anything good about Comcast's TV/Phone/Internet quality though. Verizon fios is not available in the area I am moving to so thats out of the question. Apparantly Direct TV and Verizon have teamed up now and are selling a "bundle" (phone/tv service). But then I have to get internet still which leaves me with the only provider in the area--Comcast..... Does comcast charge per box like Direct? Any insight is appreciated.

I am a long-time DirecTV person but for a while had both DirecTV and Comcast. Comcast charges a FORTUNE for 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. boxes... last I knew it was about 3-4 times DirecTV. And DVR is far superior with DirecTV (holds far more minutes of programs). My take on the two is that from a picture-quality perspective, Comcast isn't even in DirecTV's league. If you have a nice HD TV, you will be seriously disappointed in picture quality versus DirecTV. With SD it doesn't matter. I am extremely pissed right now with DirecTV, for many reasons (Versus being a big one), but their depth of HD offerings and quality of picture are by far the best.

comcast sucks. Their boxes always seem to have "bugs". I had them for years and switched to DTV about 2 years ago. So far I have had no issues other than Versus not be an option. Hopefully this situation is rectified. To play devils advocate you do have to sign a 2 year contract w/ DTV. However as the poster above mentioned DTV HD is far superior.

I am a long-time DirecTV person but for a while had both DirecTV and Comcast. Comcast charges a FORTUNE for 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. boxes... last I knew it was about 3-4 times DirecTV. And DVR is far superior with DirecTV (holds far more minutes of programs). My take on the two is that from a picture-quality perspective, Comcast isn't even in DirecTV's league. If you have a nice HD TV, you will be seriously disappointed in picture quality versus DirecTV. With SD it doesn't matter. I am extremely pissed right now with DirecTV, for many reasons (Versus being a big one), but their depth of HD offerings and quality of picture are by far the best.

I completely agree. I live in Philly, can't get HD DTV because of our roof...so I had to get comcast for HD...i hated comcast so much (for all the above reasons) that I got DTV for the other floors of my house.

When I move next month...Comcast is a goner!!! It is horrible.

thanks for the input, I'll probably get direct tv and hope they put the "versus" games on center ice.......I didnt have a problem with direct tv, i just wondered if the grass was greener on the other side of the tv spectrum.....i guess not by your replies. thanks again!

Just so you know, the Versus games won't be on Center Ice - ever. A Versus exclusive telecast is exactly that - only Versus can broadcast them.

That being said, don't get Comcast. They're terrible.

• 5 months later...

My $140 a month cable bill is killing me, condsidering I only spend 2 nights a week at home!!! Any Rochester posters help me out with a little info here. The Direct TV customer service is clueless, can I get MSGHD with Direct TV in Rochester...and I don't mean the MSGHD that plays Rangers games when the Sabres are on but one that actually airs Sabres games.

My $140 a month cable bill is killing me, condsidering I only spend 2 nights a week at home!!! Any Rochester posters help me out with a little info here. The Direct TV customer service is clueless, can I get MSGHD with Direct TV in Rochester...and I don't mean the MSGHD that plays Rangers games when the Sabres are on but one that actually airs Sabres games.

Inky,

I'm pretty sure (95%) that you'd get the MSG HD w/ the regular HD package, but not 100% sure. (I've had CI since day 1, so I can tell you that you'd get it w/ CI but that doesn't really help you.) Back in the day, Empire was included w/ whatever their base+ package was called. So again, I'd expect you to get the correct MSG HD on 636-1 instead of just a blue screen; but can't say for certain.

Vanek Man or any of the other Ra-cha-cha (or even B-lo, as Ra-cha-cha and B-lo are identical as far as Sabres coverage goes on D-TV) posters should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Archived