No more MSG on DirecTV starting Friday?

cdexchange

what the hell is going on with Direc TV? Jesus, I JUST got the CI package, and now I might not get ANY Sabres games at all? Or does this only affect the HD signals?

I'm thinking you would be SOL.

It depends on how DTV/MSG has contracted with Center Ice. Center Ice is a package that is delivered by a 3rd party, but DTV enhances it with more HD content. So, I'm not sure if CI has its own deal with MSG or not.

You would just the opposing teams broadcast. DTV usually has 2 channels per game

You're talking about CI, right? I'm local, and I don't have CI. Would local (Bflo) subscribers of DirecTV be SOL then if this happened?

And if so, how could the Sabres allow this? I would guess at least a third of their viewers are DirecTV subscribers in WNY.

You're talking about CI, right? I'm local, and I don't have CI. Would local (Bflo) subscribers of DirecTV be SOL then if this happened?

And if so, how could the Sabres allow this? I would guess at least a third of their viewers are DirecTV subscribers in WNY.

Yes, CI. I am not local so I would be able to do this for most games. TV is changing and not for the good of consumers.

If you are local Buffalo, DirecTV will black out Sabre games. I can not watch the Sabres when they play the Flyers because it is blacked out here in Delaware.

You would just watch the opposing teams broadcast. DTV usually has 2 channels per game

I would bet this is true less than 50% of the time. I am CONSTANTLY furious over the inability to get the Sabres in HD due to all the contract nonsense, and thus constantly searching for the "visiting broadcast" to see if they are delivering the game in HD. At least 50% of the time they are not and there is no option but MSG. Therefore, for those 50%, if we lose ALSO the SD version of MSG, Sabres fans won't get the game at all.

I would bet this is true less than 50% of the time. I am CONSTANTLY furious over the inability to get the Sabres in HD due to all the contract nonsense, and thus constantly searching for the "visiting broadcast" to see if they are delivering the game in HD. At least 50% of the time they are not and there is no option but MSG. Therefore, for those 50%, if we lose ALSO the SD version of MSG, Sabres fans won't get the game at all.

I don't have HD at this time. I get 2 channels over 90% of the time right now.

I don't have HD at this time. I get 2 channels over 90% of the time right now.

I am 100% sure that Sabres-Ottawa last Saturday was only on MSG. Matter of fact, I believe that every single Sabres game against a Canadian opponent is only on MSG on Center Ice package. So, where are you getting "90%" from? The Sabres play far more than 10% of their games against Canadian teams alone, say nothing of other possible games I'm not thinking of where only MSG broadcast is available.

I am 100% sure that Sabres-Ottawa last Saturday was only on MSG. Matter of fact, I believe that every single Sabres game against a Canadian opponent is only on MSG on Center Ice package. So, where are you getting "90%" from? The Sabres play far more than 10% of their games against Canadian teams alone, say nothing of other possible games I'm not thinking of where only MSG broadcast is available.

The only reason Ottawa didn't have a feed was because Hockey Night in Canada decided not to pick up the broadcast - a rarity. Usually they do and if they play Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal or any of the teams out west, either HNIC, Rogers Sportsnet or TSN would provide a feed to NHLCI. The only time there might not be a feed is if they play Montreal on a non-Saturday which only airs on French RDS. That having been said, I switched to their game against Atlanta recently (who wasn't airing it) and the RDS broadcast was on. There should be generally no worries about feeds from Canadian teams.

Ok, maybe 82% of the time. Not trying to get in to a pissing match with you. Just saying I get 2 feeds very often. Good enough for you?

The only reason Ottawa didn't have a feed was because Hockey Night in Canada decided not to pick up the broadcast - a rarity. Usually they do and if they play Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal or any of the teams out west, either HNIC, Rogers Sportsnet or TSN would provide a feed to NHLCI. The only time there might not be a feed is if they play Montreal on a non-Saturday which only airs on French RDS. That having been said, I switched to their game against Atlanta recently (who wasn't airing it) and the RDS broadcast was on. There should be generally no worries about feeds from Canadian teams.

I'm not trying to over argue the point, but I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Are we talking about the same NHL Center Ice package? You don't seem to get what I get. Yes, many US teams offer a "parallel" feed to MSG - I see that all the time. But I am going to start keeping track of Sabres games moving forward against Canadian teams. I don't believe that I've once received a Canadian-feed this year as an alternate to MSG on Center Ice if the Sabres are playing a Canadian team. Unless my mind is blocking out the Standard Definition feeds (since I normally would never watch in SD) - and that is what you're referring to.

I'm not trying to over argue the point, but I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Are we talking about the same NHL Center Ice package? You don't seem to get what I get. Yes, many US teams offer a "parallel" feed to MSG - I see that all the time. But I am going to start keeping track of Sabres games moving forward against Canadian teams. I don't believe that I've once received a Canadian-feed this year as an alternate to MSG on Center Ice if the Sabres are playing a Canadian team. Unless my mind is blocking out the Standard Definition feeds (since I normally would never watch in SD) - and that is what you're referring to.

I was speaking generally. Have not really paid attention to the Canadians feeds. I will now.

Having said that, I have 2 feeds for tonight's game.

I'm in the same boat you are.

If a Canadian team is playing a US based team, it is rare for me to get a 2nd game feed on DTv's CI.

Does anyone have Dish? I m done w/ DirectTV if this happens. Never had a good Comcast experience, either.

I have Dish, I have nothing bad to say about them. Pricing is comparable to DTV, their DVR is better, and easier to use, and with CI and the NFL Red Zone Channel, I pretty much have all of my sports needs covered.

The NHLCI package probably is different for me up here in Canada. Any time a Canadian team is playing, I get the Canadian feed - SD or HD, except for Montreal as long as the other team is broadcasting the game.

Do you by any chance know why, if they could hammer out a contract like this, that the contract didn't also include the ability to provide MSG on HD to Center Ice subscribers (outside Buffalo market)?

No, I do not, but I understand that it's not something the DTV controls. It has to do with Center Ice (which from what I understand is separate from DTV) and MSG (The Dolan Family). MSG wants more money to provide all the HD feeds and CI won't pay it, so we're screwed unless we're in the Buffalo market.

I wish we had a Fox Sports Net channel for Buffalo so we could tell MSG to suck it. Then, like the Penguins, we'd have 70 games in HD.

MSG - FU!

Archived