Four decades of Sabres hockey

PASabreFan

Not sure how to frame the question though. Best Decade, impyling on-ice success? Best Decade to be a Fan, implying entertainment value (probably the same answer as Best Decade)? Favorite Decade -- hey, if you grew up and became a Sabre fan in the 80s, that might be your choice! However you want to interpret the question is fine with me.

I'd also like to play word association. What's your one word to describe each decade?

I'll go with...

1. 90s -- "Close"

2. 70s -- "Fever"

3. 00s -- "Change"

4. 80s -- "Letdown"

Not sure how to frame the question though. Best Decade, impyling on-ice success? Best Decade to be a Fan, implying entertainment value (probably the same answer as Best Decade)? Favorite Decade -- hey, if you grew up and became a Sabre fan in the 80s, that might be your choice! However you want to interpret the question is fine with me.

I'd also like to play word association. What's your one word to describe each decade?

I'll go with...

1. 90s -- "Close"

2. 70s -- "Fever"

3. 00s -- "Change"

4. 80s -- "Letdown"

1. 70s--Fever

2. 00s--Close

3. 90s--change

4. 80s--the Sabres played hockey between 81 and 93?

1. 70's - Sabrejak

2. 00's - Rollercoaster

3. 90's - Hasek

4. 80's - Tradition (as in 1990's 20th Anniversary slogan, "Celebrate the Tradition" as they entered their 7th season of not making it past the 1st round :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: How could ANYONE have possibly come up w/ THAT slogan at THAT time and thought it was a good one is beyond me.)

1. 70's - Fabulous!

2. 00's - Disappointing

3. 90's - Sad

4. 80's - Football!

Seriously, the 70's (for those who did not experience it firsthand) were awesome. This expansion team makes it to the playoffs in 1973 and beats the Canadiens! At the time, Montreal was THE elite team in the league. This was a huge deal. Then, two years later the Sabres make it to the Finals. I was so sure that they would beat the Flyers.....turns out the Flyers beat them (up). Still, to get to the Finals after only five seasons in existance was awesome.

1. 70s -- "Gilbert"

2. 90s -- "LaLaLaFontaine, May Day, and Dom"

3. 00s -- "LOCKOUT!!!" :wallbash:

4. 80s -- "Brad Park.. :thumbdown: , Pierre the Great".

Premonition:

5. 10s -- The Twin Tylers. Myers and Ennis

I'll go with...

1. 90s -- "Close"

2. 70s -- "Fever"

3. 00s -- "Change"

4. 80s -- "Letdown"

I think this is a great topic! Rather than NOT posting at all using one word descriptors I will

ise a short phrase - pardon moi!

70s - world class skill - premier NHL

80s - transition - lost in the desert - should have stayed on the ice

90s - back to the bread and butter - almost did it - if NOT for lack of transparency - NHL!!!

00s - what is it going to take?

However, methinks you should also include #5. 10s - Finally, Stanley comes home to where hockey excellence perservered!

My rationale, the next SC winner will lift the cup in 2010.

And y'all already know - I'm picking the Sabres.

Archived