Wanted: a doghouse for the coach

NHLopinion

A doghouse for a coach, who selectively puts players there:

If there was a hypothetical doghouse for coaches Ruff would be on his way to Portland to brush up on the basics.

Q:With 3 minutes remaining and down by one goal following a commercial break and a time out in hand who does ole Lindy send out onto the ice?

A:Pat Kaleta and Paulie 'the gooser' Guastad

Q: And who would have guessed?

A: Any casual fan of the Buffalo Sabres

Ruff has taken this love affair with his overpaid 4th line center too far putting the Sabres' chances of tying the score late in games behind his desire to make his pet player out to be the hero.

No coach in the NHL that I'm aware of consistently demonstrates this level of belligerency towards his skilled forwards.

Both these players regardless of what gaffs they make backchecking are always at the top of the list when it comes to handing out accolades during his post game comments.

Those post game 'interviews' are about as staged as a presidential press conference, same goes for the color commentary.

They've become a propaganda tool for Ruff to sell his pet players and his myths about the changing NHL.

Any casual fan would have had the wherewithal to ask what the hell Gaustad and Kaleta were doing out there to begin with.

But not Paul Hamilton, he was busy helping Ruff making sure no one blamed Kaleta for the penalty, while Ruff was busy criticizing MacArthur, the player who pulled them within one.

Q:Did Lindy Ruff actually expect one of his prized grinders to beat Thomas Vokoun, one of the NHL's elite goalies for a late game tying goal?

A: Yeah believe it or not he did!

Q: Is it any shock that the team tanked in the final two minutes surrendering 3 goals?

A: No, they were probably trying to send that head case Ruff a strong message.

In a perfect world he'd be on the bus to Portland for some conditioning in the minors, mental conditioning that is.

An excerpt from what I posted over at LGS in Vanek thread:

Mair and Ellis were stapled to the bench after 5:19 until after they were down by 3 or 4 (18:41 for Mair and 19:00 for Ellis.) Lindy swapped Goose in for Kennedy on the third line (with Kaleta and Hecht) for some shifts, probably when they had a big faceoff.

Basically, Lindy was rolling three lines for most of the third period:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Kennedy/Gaustad-Kaleta

After they scored to make it a one-goal game (14:17), the shifts were basically:

Third line: 45 sec (Kennedy at center; Hecht got caught out for a little longer)

First line: 56 sec (Vanek was delayed getting on by Hecht, so got 42 seconds; Stafford was last off, so got 1:02)

Second line: 51 sec (Roy changed last, so got 57 sec)

Third line: 46 sec (Goose at center; ended by penalty on Kaleta)

Presumably, had there not been a penalty, Lindy would have sent Connolly's line (and thus Vanek) out next, then Roy's. Two quick goals after the penalty pretty much ended the game, so looking at ice times after that doesn't mean much.

So, unless you are advocating that Lindy play just two lines for the last five minutes in a one-goal game, I not sure what the problem is. If it weren't for a late penalty at the end of the shift by Kaleta, we would have likely seen the top two lines finish up the game, as you would expect.

BTW, this is the infamous theWhale, so we can pretty much just ignore him.

So, unless you are advocating that Lindy play just two lines for the last five minutes in a one-goal game, I not sure what the problem is. If it weren't for a late penalty at the end of the shift by Kaleta, we would have likely seen the top two lines finish up the game, as you would expect.

You might have missed the fact that they had a commercial break with 3 minutes left and a time out remaining. You need to smarten up a little bit.

If you've never heard of coaches double shifting with the clock running out you're not really qualified to comment, although judging by these posts of yours there are no standards.

Lindy did this a lot in 06-07. Most coaches do. Not so much before the Allstar break, though.

Ruff's has apparently succeeded at selling this approach as being excepted practice among NHL coaches.

It's not, it isn't even close, but try to tell that to the fan base that populates the various Buffalo Sabres forums.

I get the sense that the fans who comment in these forums consider themselves among the most knowledgable, from my experience they're way more towards the other end of the spectrum.

Outside of forums I can say that I have never talked to a single fan who agrees that Gaustad should be out there with Kaleta trying to score a game tying goal with 2 or 3 minutes left. This a very common complaint voiced by the the more level headed fans.

What I see on these forums aren't hockey purist so much as fans of particular players. For them to agree that the most favored son Paul Guastad has no business being out there is sacrilege.

Even though this player has never come close to scoring 10 even strength goals in a regular season, it still makes perfect sense to them.

Ruff's has apparently succeeded at selling this approach as being excepted practice among NHL coaches.

It's not, it isn't even close, but try to tell that to the fan base that populates the various Buffalo Sabres forums.

I get the sense that the fans who comment in these forums consider themselves among the most knowledgable, from my experience they're way more towards the other end of the spectrum.

Outside of forums I can say that I have never talked to a single fan who agrees that Gaustad should be out there with Kaleta trying to score a game tying goal with 2 or 3 minutes left. This a very common complaint voiced by the the more level headed fans.

What I see on these forums aren't hockey purist so much as fans of particular players. For them to agree that the most favored son Paul Guastad has no business being out there is sacrilege.

Even though this player has never come close to scoring 10 even strength goals in a regular season, it still makes perfect sense to them.

You may want to point out to your friends that

a) Gaustad is far and away the best center at winning face offs the Sabres have and was the only center yesterday at 50% winning percentage. I would assume you know why winning the face offs are important.

b) With 4 goals and 1 game winner, you could make the case that Gaustad has been the most potent offensive force amongst Sabres centers this year and especially in the last stretch of games.

c) Kaletta, while not being an offensive force, was as effective as any Sabre forward yesterday at creating chances.

You may want to point out to your friends that

a) Gaustad is far and away the best center at winning face offs the Sabres have and was the only center yesterday at 50% winning percentage. I would assume you know why winning the face offs are important.

b) With 4 goals and 1 game winner, you could make the case that Gaustad has been the most potent offensive force amongst Sabres centers this year and especially in the last stretch of games.

c) Kaletta, while not being an offensive force, was as effective as any Sabre forward yesterday at creating chances.

You may want to smarten up to realize that his faceoffs DO NOT offset his lack of scoring talent.

The proof for that is his stats, he doesn't score.

If you think that Gaustad is a potent offense force you wouldn't pass hockey kindergarten if there was such a thing. This is exactly what I mean by fans populating these forums, a perfect example.

Excuse me for interupting, Mr. theWhale, but you seem to have an error in your post (not that someone of your considerable intelect is capable of errors). You have named yourself NHLopinion when clearly you should have called yourself NHLfact.

Can someone please tell me the point of mentioning how messageboard posters are some of the dumber fans out there when you, in fact, are posting on several messageboards?

I'm their antgonist pointing out how ridiculous their opinions are, I'm not here upholding these group opinions that they share like they're in a club and I'm looking to joining it.

I read this slop they write and it makes me cringe.

You may want to smarten up to realize that his faceoffs DO NOT offset his lack of scoring talent.

The proof for that is his stats, he doesn't score.

If you think that Gaustad is a potent offense force you wouldn't pass hockey kindergarten if there was such a thing. This is exactly what I mean by fans populating these forums, a perfect example.

He does score. On pace for 20 actually. And Kaleta and Goose have the highest plus/minus' on the team. I never passed kindergarden, but I can read a stat. You'll need something else to support your argument.

What would you have suggested?

Excuse me for interupting, Mr. theWhale, but you seem to have an error in your post (not that someone of your considerable intelect is capable of errors). You have named yourself NHLopinion when clearly you should have called yourself NHLfact.

Good point, but I don't strictly focus on the here and now. I regularly make a habit of forecasting, technically before the results are in that is opinion.

Even though, when I do, you take it to the bank.

He does score. On pace for 20 actually. And Kaleta and Goose have the highest plus/minus' on the team. I never passed kindergarden, but I can read a stat. You'll need something else to support your argument.

Don't take up handicapping as a hobby, or quit your day job for anything that relies on hockey knowledge.

You believing that Goose will score 20 at any point in his career is another perfect example of the comment I made regarding forum fans.

In a one-goal game, I have no problem with dropping to three lines for the last 15 minutes or so, and waiting until the last couple of minutes before going all out with your best forwards. Would I have put Goose out there at that time? No, probably not; I actually would have used Kennedy or even double-shifted one of the two top centers to give that group a little more offensive punch. But there's a difference between not denouncing it and actually advocating for it.

Even with the commercial break, it is questionable as to whether it is more effective to have your top lines (especially wingers) each out for a one minute all-out shift (with the other minute filled by your third-line) or to have those two lines covering all three. There's no guarantee of a stoppage in play to use that time-out and you will already have one or two additional forwards out in the last minute or so when you pull the goalie. Those last two minutes will take enough from your top two lines even without having one of them taking that first (three minute mark) shift. It will depend a lot on the conditioning of those forwards (something Lindy probably has a better feel for.) In a two-goal game, there's more urgency to make that shift earlier (and the goalie will likely come out sooner), but in a one-goal game, I just don't see it as that bad of a call; certainly not one worth calling out the coach for.

SwampD: I'd have to go back an look at the games in '06-07 to see what Lindy was doing in the final minutes of one-goal games. Certainly, at the end of games he had things mixed up, as usually Drury was out there with Briere's line, but I can't comment on the mix of shifts between Briere's, Drury's and Roy's lines in the final 5 minutes of (again) one-goal games.

Good point, but I don't strictly focus on the here and now. I regularly make a habit of forecasting, technically before the results are in that is opinion.

Even though, when I do, you take it to the bank.

Wow!

Hey guys. He spoke to me,.. directly to me,.. one on one!

...I'm never washing this mouse again...

You can read a stat?

With these comments of yours I'm wondering if you can read the instructions on a can of soup.

Don't take up handicapping as a hobby, or quit your day job for anything that relies on hockey knowledge.

You believing that Goose will score 20 at any point in his career is another perfect example of the comment I made regarding forum fans.

I wrote "on pace". But that's just my opinion.

Archived