Willie Mitchell Hit on J. Toews

rickshaw

If you haven't seen this, here ya go.

Toews may want to beat the crap out of his teammate for making this pass though.

As clean an open ice body check as you will ever see, and no hit to the head or leaving the feet.

I ask again. What is "distance traveled" in charging? From the penalty box door to the middle of the big logo. Not far enough?

And if this hit is so clean, why did the Hawks respond like it was so dirty?

I ask again. What is "distance traveled" in charging? From the penalty box door to the middle of the big logo. Not far enough?

Because you're supposed to stick up for your team mates?

Def great hit. Hope Toews is ok, have him in my SS fantasy league. He didn't return in the game.

Another great hit, from the previous night, Atlanta @ Montreal.... also clean.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=u6R6q6ehkaE

Clean, except the Hab was driven head-first into the boards. And, again, the Habs respond like it's dirty. I don't get it.

Because you're supposed to stick up for your team mates?

Wrong. Sorry. It's because only the house of cards known as the rule book makes these hits clean. Everyone else recognizes them as filthy attempts to injure. They're sticking up for their teammate, because their teammate just got assaulted. OK, maybe it's also the refs who sanction these hits. The hit on the Hawk was charging -- the one in Montreal boarding.

If you hit anyone hard, especially the captain, you will get attacked. That's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with clean or dirty. It's the culture of the game and it isn't exactly anything new.

If you hit anyone hard, especially the captain, you will get attacked. That's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with clean or dirty. It's the culture of the game and it isn't exactly anything new.

Which makes me wonder...how come in an NFL game a receiver can run a slant pattern, get crushed by a d-back and they both jump up and pat each other on the butt? Does this mean that football players are smarter/manlier than hockey players? If hitting (clean hits, not cheap shots disguised as 'clean') is a part of hockey, how come every time someone knocks an opponent on his a$$, they get jumped? (Please, this is a rhetorical comment - I know it's part of the "culture" of hockey. Sigh....) :rolleyes:

When I saw the thread topic on SabresSpace (without the sub title), I was trying to figure out who Willie Mitchell was and wondering why I hadn't heard that Toews was gay.

As for hit of the year to date, I'd say Kaleta's on Prucha is at least tied (the momentum of Toews skating full speed ahead and unexpectedly hitting a larger player made this look spectacular though).

Because the modern hockey player is soft, that's why.

That was as clean an open ice hit as you will see in hockey.

Toews skated through the neutral zone, head down, not paying attention as he gathered the puck.

He knew better. NHL network even heard him say something along the lines of "F**k, I had my head down" as he stumbled to the bench.

There are other sports for the faint of heart...I'm thinking tennis, track & field, soccer.

Because the modern hockey player is soft, that's why.

That was as clean an open ice hit as you will see in hockey.

Toews skated through the neutral zone, head down, not paying attention as he gathered the puck.

He knew better. NHL network even heard him say something along the lines of "F**k, I had my head down" as he stumbled to the bench.

There are other sports for the faint of heart...I'm thinking tennis, track & field, soccer.

Ahhh, the good old "his head was down" myth. Yes, there are times when a guy literally has his head down looking at the puck/ice, but this wasn't it. I'd love to know how a player is supposed to field a pass coming from one direction while looking at the hit approaching from the exact opposite direction. That's what happened here, He was essentially hung out to dry by his teammate. He either picks up the pass and gets killed, or lets it go, which allows Mitchell to take it the other way. The idea that players can have 360 degree awareness is absurd.

Ahhh, the good old "his head was down" myth. Yes, there are times when a guy literally has his head down looking at the puck/ice, but this wasn't it. I'd love to know how a player is supposed to field a pass coming from one direction while looking at the hit approaching from the exact opposite direction. That's what happened here, He was essentially hung out to dry by his teammate. He either picks up the pass and gets killed, or lets it go, which allows Mitchell to take it the other way. The idea that players can have 360 degree awareness is absurd.

Toews stated something along the lines of..."my head was down". Funny how the myth can speak?

The hung him out to dry myth is the one I worry about.

Who cares about accountibility when you can blame a teammate?

It's true. And the people that blame him for "having his head down" are the same ones who would kill him and label him soft if he missed the pass because he saw Mitchell coming and avoided the hit. We complain a lot on this board about Sabres shying away from contact ... hey at least they have their heads up!!!

I am not saying I have a big problem with this particular hit ... at some point, it IS a contact sport and guys are going to get hurt. I just hate the "he had his head down" excuse that gives guys who do go headhunting a free pass.

Toews stated something along the lines of..."my head was down". Funny how the myth can speak?

The hung him out to dry myth is the one I worry about.

Who cares about accountibility when you can blame a teammate?

It's more a figure of speech than anything. He didn't see the hit, so he said his head was done. I'm sure his idea changed a bit when he saw the replay. And now, I'm not saying he's blaming his teammate, but he definitely played a major role in that hit.

It's true. And the people that blame him for "having his head down" are the same ones who would kill him and label him soft if he missed the pass because he saw Mitchell coming and avoided the hit. We complain a lot on this board about Sabres shying away from contact ... hey at least they have their heads up!!!

I am not saying I have a big problem with this particular hit ... at some point, it IS a contact sport and guys are going to get hurt. I just hate the "he had his head down" excuse that gives guys who do go headhunting a free pass.

Had this been a shot to the head implied by the term "headhunting", I would be in agreement. It was a clean shoulder from a grounded, hard-nosed defense-man blasting a player just gathering the puck around center ice.

What is the problem?

I'm guessing that several posters on this board thought the infamous Campbell hit on Umberger was dirty then?

Fine, you believe what some guy on NHL Network thought he heard and the rest of us can watch the video and use our own eyes.

I don't need to see the 4" video. I had the game on live at home, surround sound blasted on a big ass HD TV...

Toews said it on air, during the game, right after the hit on NHL network.

You could faintly hear the words and read his lips.

Had this been a shot to the head implied by the term "headhunting", I would be in agreement. It was a clean shoulder from a grounded, hard-nosed defense-man blasting a player just gathering the puck around center ice.

What is the problem?

I'm guessing that several posters on this board thought the infamous Campbell hit on Umberger was dirty then?

I never said I have a problem with this hit. I was the first to respond and said it was a great hit ... and yeah, I was a smart ass about the "head up" thing because I think it is a huge problem. You talked about "accountability" on the part of the guy who gets hit ... I just think the guy who does the hitting should be held accountable if he goes to the head and not be able to hide behind "Well, he had his head down ... " Again ... IN GENERAL, not this hit.

I never said I have a problem with this hit. I was the first to respond and said it was a great hit ... and yeah, I was a smart ass about the "head up" thing because I think it is a huge problem. You talked about "accountability" on the part of the guy who gets hit ... I just think the guy who does the hitting should be held accountable if he goes to the head and not be able to hide behind "Well, he had his head down ... " Again ... IN GENERAL, not this hit.

I think the fact that he tried to get up and skate away and then stumbled and fell increased the 'shock and awe' effect.. but that was as clean a hit as you will see in that area of the ice.. he looked like a just-delivered calf trying to find his feet, which is just seemed to anger everyone even more

And yes, Soupy's hit on Humbug was the first thing I thought of too when I saw that last night - back then the Broad Street idiots jumped all the Sabres players on the ice too.

If you haven't seen this, here ya go.

Toews may want to beat the crap out of his teammate for making this pass though.

As clean an open ice body check as you will ever see, and no hit to the head or leaving the feet.

Was watching the game last night... while the pass definitely set him up its possible that Brouwer never saw the guy coming out of the box when he passed it. Toews for sure didn't. In any case I don't think he's going to miss any time. That hit kind of turned the game around for Vancouver. I don't think they scored on their powerplay that resulted from the scrum afterwords but not long after that they got a 4 minute powerplay and netted that one and scored again a few minutes later for the win.

Watch the video a couple times and then try to tell me it was the passers fault, Willie Mitchell's fault, Gary Bettman's fault or anyone else on the ice except Toews. The pass didn't help, but Mitchell just stepped out of the penalty box.

My biggest complaint of the entire event is the officials blew the whistle & stopped the game when Vancouver had possession of the puck and the Sedin's had a 2 on 0 breakaway.

Wrong. Sorry. It's because only the house of cards known as the rule book makes these hits clean. Everyone else recognizes them as filthy attempts to injure. They're sticking up for their teammate, because their teammate just got assaulted. OK, maybe it's also the refs who sanction these hits. The hit on the Hawk was charging -- the one in Montreal boarding.

Mitchell did come from a bit of a distance, but Toews had the puck. Considering that it's Mitchell's job to make sure that Toews doesn't get to skate freely with the puck, and that Mitchell had to skate quickly to get there in time (thus the speed and power in the hit), what should/could he have done differently in this situation?

Agreed that the "his head was down" stuff needs to go, and agreed that charging needs to be redefined.

Watch the video a couple times and then try to tell me it was the passers fault, Willie Mitchell's fault, Gary Bettman's fault or anyone else on the ice except Toews. The pass didn't help, but Mitchell just stepped out of the penalty box.

My biggest complaint of the entire event is the officials blew the whistle & stopped the game when Vancouver had possession of the puck and the Sedin's had a 2 on 0 breakaway.

Fault and blame are the wrong words here, and maybe that's on me since I said his teammate hung him out to dry. Let's change that up a bit. As simply put as possible, Toews was in a lose-lose spot. What exactly was he supposed to do there? It's a completely clean and great hockey play. It's going to happen from time to time where a guy ends up on the wrong side of a few string of circumstances.

I agree,.. with all of it.

A similar play took place with Kaleta (I believe in the Detroit game). He collected the puck, took the hit, AND made the pass. All without getting his bell rung.

Archived