Wayne Gretzky resigns as coach

millbank

Wayne Gretzky Resigns

This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected. Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside.

Wonder what is next for the Great One... ?

Wayne Gretzky Resigns

This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected. Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside.

Wonder what is next for the Great One... ?

I saw that this morning as well.. Isn't the Players union lead position still available ? Has the respect of the players, league and other team owner's :rolleyes: Nawww that's probably crazy talk might make too much sense..

I saw that this morning as well.. Isn't the Players union lead position still available ? Has the respect of the players, league and other team owner's :rolleyes: Nawww that's probably crazy talk might make too much sense..

That makes perfect sense - which is why it probably won't happen. I can't recall Wayne and the Commish ever seeing things eye-to-eye, so.... Well, maybe it could happen!?? :unsure:

I see head of union as far to adversarial for Gretzky, his public persona at least that of a fence sitter. Wonder now given that current commissioner Bettman has accomplished much what owners were wishing for regarding union, the next mission being major network exposure in U.S and strengthening U.S markets, if Gretzky is able to delegate authority, he a logical media and fan known and friendly person, better suited for a better marketing face as Commissioner of NHL than Bettman. Bettman clearly like him or no a bright and tenacious man perhaps not suited as a persona like Gretzky for the work ahead.

I see head of union as far to adversarial for Gretzky, his public persona at least that of a fence sitter. Wonder now given that current commissioner Bettman has accomplished much what owners were wishing for regarding union, the next mission being major network exposure in U.S and strengthening U.S markets, if Gretzky is able to delegate authority, he a logical media and fan known and friendly person, better suited for a better marketing face as Commissioner of NHL than Bettman. Bettman clearly like him or no a bright and tenacious man perhaps not suited as a persona like Gretzky for the work ahead.

Just what I would expect from a Canadian a contrarian approach I say union you say league :rolleyes: , but actually your suggestion is even crazier because it makes more sense. :nana:

Gretzky may very well be frustrated with the league now. "Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans..." - let's not forget that one of those bidders is the NHL.

My money would be on Gretzky going with the union before going with the league right now. However, I think neither is more likely than him stepping away from the NHL altogether for a little bit.

Gretzky may very well be frustrated with the league now. "Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans..." - let's not forget that one of those bidders is the NHL.

My money would be on Gretzky going with the union before going with the league right now. However, I think neither is more likely than him stepping away from the NHL altogether for a little bit.

Gretzky's been a part owner, so that's a conflict of interests that the PA would want to stay away from.

He was a great player and remains the icon of the game. He was a totally forgettable coach. He made more news with his wife's antics than his ability to coach the Coyotes.

Why is there this immediate assumption that great players will make great coaches? Where do the players get this notion in their heads?

I mean, great players barely make decent commentators at times!!

Yeah, Gretzky may be frustrated with the situation with Phoenix. However, here's a possible scenario for all of you: since the Great One was used as a scout for Team Canada for the 2006 Olympics, he may be freeing up his time to do this over the next few months without having his former coaching duties come into conflict.

Think about it. Since Teppo retired, he's now scouting for Team Finland (so far as I know).

He was a great player and remains the icon of the game. He was a totally forgettable coach. He made more news with his wife's antics than his ability to coach the Coyotes.

Much like Michael Jordan. Just because a person was a great player in their sport does not mean they will be a great coach in their sport. Michael Jordan flat out sucked as a coach.

Much like Michael Jordan. Just because a person was a great player in their sport does not mean they will be a great coach in their sport. Michael Jordan flat out sucked as a coach.

Unless I missed a totally forgettable stop somewhere, I don't recall MJ ever serving as head coach anywhere. He's been the director of basketball operations for the Wizards and Bobcats and sucked in those roles, but I don't think he's ever been a coach.

Oh, and a side note - what was Phoenix thinking when they gave 99 the coaching contract they gave him? $6 - 8M/year for what? Building/'Yotes were drowning in red ink.

Unless I missed a totally forgettable stop somewhere, I don't recall MJ ever serving as head coach anywhere. He's been the director of basketball operations for the Wizards and Bobcats and sucked in those roles, but I don't think he's ever been a coach.

Oh, and a side note - what was Phoenix thinking when they gave 99 the coaching contract they gave him? $6 - 8M/year for what? Building/'Yotes were drowning in red ink.

If I remember correctly what I've read recently, the huge contract was put in place in part to buy out Gretzky's ownership share in the team.

If I remember correctly what I've read recently, the huge contract was put in place in part to buy out Gretzky's ownership share in the team.

I'd like to see someone confirm this. I've read a bunch of articles on Gretzky's resignation, and all of them point to his huge contract (with disagreement as to what he was owed for this coming season - I've seen $6M all the way up to $8.5M) but nothing substantial on how it related to his ownership stake.

No More Mr. Nice Guy

Globe and Mail a credible newspaper , from article:

Court filings reveal that Mr. Gretzky and his lawyers spent nearly three years negotiating a complex employment contract with Mr. Moyes, but Mr. Gretzky never signed it.

“I didn’t think the team could be viable under the current agreement with Wayne,” Mr. Shumway said in a deposition.

Mr. Gretzky, who owns a small piece of the Coyotes, has claimed he is owed more than $9-million, largely from unpaid compensation. He had two years remaining on his employment deal and was to receive $6.5-million this season and $8-million next year. He has also claimed to be owed $8-million in deferred salary.

It is unclear if he will receive anything. He has no formal employment contract and has been working under a “deal memo” since 2006.

Several creditors, including the City of Glendale, have argued that Mr. Gretzky’s claim should be thrown out because he is a shareholder not a creditor. Under bankruptcy laws, shareholders typically rank below other creditors and rarely receive any proceeds from a sale of assets.

Court filings show Mr. Gretzky began negotiating a new employment contract in mid-2006, just as Mr. Moyes was in the middle of breaking with business partner Steve Ellman. Mr. Gretzky, who acquired a 1.5-per-cent ownership stake when Mr. Moyes took control, wanted his employment contract personally guaranteed by Mr. Moyes, court filings show. The negotiations dragged on for years as Mr. Gretzky’s lawyers made more demands.

-more to read. A murky situation to say the least.

I'd like to see someone confirm this. I've read a bunch of articles on Gretzky's resignation, and all of them point to his huge contract (with disagreement as to what he was owed for this coming season - I've seen $6M all the way up to $8.5M) but nothing substantial on how it related to his ownership stake.

No More Mr. Nice Guy

Court filings reveal that Mr. Gretzky and his lawyers spent nearly three years negotiating a complex employment contract with Mr. Moyes, but Mr. Gretzky never signed it.

“I didn’t think the team could be viable under the current agreement with Wayne,” Mr. Shumway said in a deposition.

Mr. Gretzky, who owns a small piece of the Coyotes, has claimed he is owed more than $9-million, largely from unpaid compensation. He had two years remaining on his employment deal and was to receive $6.5-million this season and $8-million next year. He has also claimed to be owed $8-million in deferred salary.

It is unclear if he will receive anything. He has no formal employment contract and has been working under a “deal memo” since 2006.

Several creditors, including the City of Glendale, have argued that Mr. Gretzky’s claim should be thrown out because he is a shareholder not a creditor. Under bankruptcy laws, shareholders typically rank below other creditors and rarely receive any proceeds from a sale of assets.

Court filings show Mr. Gretzky began negotiating a new employment contract in mid-2006, just as Mr. Moyes was in the middle of breaking with business partner Steve Ellman. Mr. Gretzky, who acquired a 1.5-per-cent ownership stake when Mr. Moyes took control, wanted his employment contract personally guaranteed by Mr. Moyes, court filings show. The negotiations dragged on for years as Mr. Gretzky’s lawyers made more demands.

Not only was he a bad coach, but he also was a fool. Who works in professional sports without a contract? Answer, The Great One..

No More Mr. Nice Guy

I think it's fair to say that Gretzky is not a businessman by any means, let alone a savvy one. To add insult to injury, he was dealing with Jerry Moyes - the founder/owner of Swift Transportation. As it is, Swift is in serious financial trouble and is pending a possible negative impact rating with the FMCSA.

This was just a bad deal from the get go.

I am in agreement with thanes16: just because you're a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great coach. As much as it pains me to say this, Ken Hitchcock has done a better job coaching than Gretzky ever will.

Archived