another major trade

Guru

Gomez, Pronger and Heatley all traded, but moving Hecht seems to be over Regier's head.

So why not unload Gaustad and use that cap space to sign a center?

Regier has $5.8M wrapped up in Hecht and Gaustad, both of whom are ineffective as 3rd line center.

Regier himself says it's an area of need.

But instead of making the logic move, they'll drag out this charade of Goose as an NHL 3rd line center and Quinn will give the fans green team commercials.

Gomez, Pronger and Heatley all traded, but moving Hecht seems to be over Regier's head.

Regier has $5.8M wrapped up in Hecht and Gaustad, both of whom are ineffective as 3rd line center.

But instead of making the logic move, they'll drag out this charade of Goose as an NHL 3rd line center and Quinn will give the fans green team commercials.

While I'm sure that Hecht and Gaustad are on the same level as Gomez, Pronger, and Heatley, and that teams were clamoring all around Regier to get in on the the "Hecht/Gaustad Sweepstakes", I gotta give Regier credit for holding his ground until he gets "at least" what Gomez, Pronger, and Heatley fetched for their respective teams.

Personally I don't see why we simply couldn't have traded Hecht and Gaustad straight up for any of those players but hey, that's just me.

GO SABRES!!!

As you spend more time on the board you will realize that trades don't help teams. Gomez, Pronger and Heatley won't make their teams better. The Sens dumping a player who didn't want to be there and getting quality players in return doesn't make them better. If those teams wanted to get better they should have signed Steve Montador and other 4th and 5th liners. That's how you build on the successful back to back 10th place finishes.

What a bunch of haters on here this morning.

I agree, Gaustad is NOT a 3rd line center. He is entertaining as everyone at the rink likes to chant 'GOOSE' when he touches the puck. Yippee. Unfortunately, 'GOOSE', does not inspire the same success that 'BRUUUUCE' used to, and besides standing in the crease of opposing teams, he really has little to no value.

I would love to see a Peca or a Moore brought back for the 3rd line center role and not only bring some scoring touch, but a little toughness, grit, and leadership is sorely needed.

Well, that and winning some faceoffs would be cool too.

Maybe we should think about what Miller/Vanek/Roy/Pominville (The Core), some of the good young NHL players (Butler, Stafford, Sekera) and prospects (Kennedy, Myers, Gerbe) could bring in a trade. You can't sell from an empty wagon. Vanek's a guy whose situation begged for a trade. Coach for Life suppresses the ice time of the only true offensive star the Sabres have, while the team goes begging for goals. Vanek doesn't seem happy, and who could blame him? No doubt the Sabres needed a shakeup. I think this is where we see Regier as too patient, too conservative and too in love with his non-playoff team.

The Sens dumping a player who didn't want to be there and getting quality players in return doesn't make them better.

So -- you think Ottawa improved its team with that trade?

Maybe we should think about what Miller/Vanek/Roy/Pominville (The Core), some of the good young NHL players (Butler, Stafford, Sekera) and prospects (Kennedy, Myers, Gerbe) could bring in a trade. You can't sell from an empty wagon. Vanek's a guy whose situation begged for a trade. Coach for Life suppresses the ice time of the only true offensive star the Sabres have, while the team goes begging for goals. Vanek doesn't seem happy, and who could blame him? No doubt the Sabres needed a shakeup. I think this is where we see Regier as too patient, too conservative and too in love with his non-playoff team.

And you think the Sabres would improve by firing Lindy and trading Vanek?

Quite a marketplace of ideas this morning.

I think statistically NO, in terms of points however if he was becoming a distraction in the locker room and or fueding w/coach and management then yes "the team" may have actually improved. I think a team effort can take you farther in the long run then just a superstar's effort will.

Ah sun's shining outside, Hockey camp has begun and football starts today.... It's Great to be alive ... Let the bickering begin...

No one should expect Regier to make any large splash through a trade before the deadline. We could go through another ten game losing streak that takes us from 6th to 11th place,and Regier would just tell us to be patient. There banking on Hecht returing to form and additional offense on the blue line to come from Butler.

I wouldn't hold much hope for Tallinder to be sent out of town until the deadline,at the earliest,either. Hell, we would be lucky if he went by then. The way Regier works,Tallinder will be here until the offseason.

Haven't had that second cup of coffee I see. But if you're going to put ideas in my mouth, you didn't do badly with the idea of firing Ruff. His time has come and gone. No need to cover old ground again. Just consider one nugget from today's Snooze. Ruff said if Vanek's an elite player to start the season again (just 30 goals in 24 games, no pressure, Tom; edit: or 24 goals in 30 games!), he'll get elite ice time.

Of course the Sabres could improve if they make a good trade involving any of those players I mentioned! D'oh. That's why you trade. To get better. Do you feel Vanek would bring little in return?

While I agree that Regier needs to be more aggressive in making trades, I am not sure what three NHL all-stars being traded have to do with Hecht who is now making more than he should and who is near impossible to trade? Also, I don't like Gaustad's more passive play the last year or two, but him playing the role of third line center is the least of this teams problem. What do you want out of your third line center, that you are not getting from Gaustad? He should be a good defensive forward who can contribute with the occasional goal. Sounds like Gaustad to me.

Heatley didn't want to be there. They picked up a couple of guys who can put the puck in the net. If the change of scenery gets Cheechoo game turned around it would go from a good trade to a great trade.

And please, let's not pretend that if the Sabres would have traded for either of the players from San Jose many here on this board would posting with their Sabre at full mast telling everyone who would read what a great GM Regier is. Let's not down play the quality the Sens got in return. It's hard for some to believe but trades can actually help a team. Maybe because it's been so long since one has helped the Sabres it would explain why so many fail to recognize.

Why would we want top trade or unload the Goose? He come to play every night and plays his heart out , he give us grit and size up front. If some of our other big contract forwards would put in the effort every game that Goose does, we be a much better team. And if we ever make the playoffs again you need guys like him.

What a bunch of haters on here this morning.

I agree, Gaustad is NOT a 3rd line center. He is entertaining as everyone at the rink likes to chant 'GOOSE' when he touches the puck. Yippee. Unfortunately, 'GOOSE', does not inspire the same success that 'BRUUUUCE' used to, and besides standing in the crease of opposing teams, he really has little to no value.

I would love to see a Peca or a Moore brought back for the 3rd line center role and not only bring some scoring touch, but a little toughness, grit, and leadership is sorely needed.

Well, that and winning some faceoffs would be cool too.

100%

You hit the nail right on the head, I think Gaustad has become a fan favorite more through marketing than through his play and he really has no business on the PP unless there are injuries and they need to fall back on him.

While I agree that Regier needs to be more aggressive in making trades, I am not sure what three NHL all-stars being traded have to do with Hecht who is now making more than he should and who is near impossible to trade? Also, I don't like Gaustad's more passive play the last year or two, but him playing the role of third line center is the least of this teams problem. What do you want out of your third line center, that you are not getting from Gaustad? He should be a good defensive forward who can contribute with the occasional goal. Sounds like Gaustad to me.

I disagree I think 3rd line center is one of this team's biggest holes. Gaustad should be on the wing or on the 4th line. He gets way too much ice for a player of his ability. He really shouldn't be playing center at all.

Why would we want top trade or unload the Goose? He come to play every night and plays his heart out , he give us grit and size up front. If some of our other big contract forwards would put in the effort every game that Goose does, we be a much better team. And if we ever make the playoffs again you need guys like him.

If our big contract players produced on Goose's level this team would be in the basement.

And as far as the playoffs in 25 career games Gaustad hasn't scored a single goal. Like I said they have done a great marketing job selling Goose.

Take your blinders off, Goose isn't anything special. If anything he's just as inconsistent as Stafford, especially last season. Goose, like most of the team, did not bring it every night. He's Adam Mair with a slightly better scoring touch. I would definitely like to see more out of Goose on the ice this year.

I doubt Vanek will ever be traded. Gaustad maybe, Hecht maybe. Are any teams even LOOKING at them? Have any teams inquired about them at all? And WHO could Regier get for them that would improve the team? Questions, questions, questions.

The main reason they'll have a hard time trading some of these players is that Ruff and Regier overestimated their abilities putting them on contracts they can't live up to.

Hecht and Gaustad being two good examples.

Gaustad would have been a good player at 1 to 1.2 million in a 4th line role.

The main reason they'll have a hard time trading some of these players is that Ruff and Regier overestimated their abilities putting them on contracts they can't live up to.

So, which is it? Does Darcy suck because he overvalued them and gave them more money than are worth, making them untradeable, or because he failed to "make the logical move" and trade them? In order to trade a player, you either need to find somebody who thinks that the player is worth more than his contract -- hard to do if you give him a contract that he isn't worth -- or you have to give that person enough additional value to make up for it. I understand having a problem with Hecht's contract, which can be blamed on Darcy, but I don't then also get mad that he can't move him. The problem is that market for even a rebounding Hecht has dropped off, so even a GM who thought his contract was good two years ago and is optimistic about his chance of returning to form wouldn't take him now without being paid (picks, prospects, etc.) If Darcy had moved Hecht without giving up a whole lot of value or taking on someone else's big problem, it would have been impressive.

So, which is it? Does Darcy suck because he overvalued them and gave them more money than are worth, making them untradeable, or because he failed to "make the logical move" and trade them? In order to trade a player, you either need to find somebody who thinks that the player is worth more than his contract -- hard to do if you give him a contract that he isn't worth -- or you have to give that person enough additional value to make up for it. I understand having a problem with Hecht's contract, which can be blamed on Darcy, but I don't then also get mad that he can't move him. The problem is that market for even a rebounding Hecht has dropped off, so even a GM who thought his contract was good two years ago and is optimistic about his chance of returning to form wouldn't take him now without being paid (picks, prospects, etc.) If Darcy had moved Hecht without giving up a whole lot of value or taking on someone else's big problem, it would have been impressive.

You are asking which is it, but I never said it was either or, it's both.

Clearly from what I have said, he has sh*t the bed twice.

Once in overvaluing both these players, and again by then failing to solve the logjam he and Ruff created.

He certainly will have a hard time trading Hecht so the logical step is to move Gaustad and open up a spot for a true center, scroll up to my original post and you'll see that I said just that.

Trading Vanek or Miller, is this even a serious thread? This team has shown to be able to be one of the elite teams if you provide it's core with some help. When Drury and Briere were here, we were as close to unstoppable as they came. They don't need to trade the core. They need to add to it. Trading Goose would just be stupid. While i agree with DarkSabre, he really isn't anything special but nobody views him as that around the league. He would get a very little return. His value to the Sabres is far greater then the value we would receive if we had traded him. Leadership on and off the ice alone makes him more valuable then what we could get in a trade for him.

The Sabres need to add to it's core and the time is running out. Soon, Bryon, Gerbe and Ennis will all be knocking on the door to make it full time on the NHL squad, and those combined with Derek Roy, makes for a very short and small team. I know Gerbe and Ennis play with an edge and play larger then what their size is, but that is just too many small players. All four have value right now and if packaged in the right deal, could land something nice.

They added toughness this past summer but they still lack an attack. I know, for the most part we have a easy time scoring on some of the weaker teams and the total goals stat is inflated, but when we play in a big game or against a good team, when they struggle offensively in the first 5 minutes, you can just tell it's gonna be a very long night on the scoreboard. How many times did we get like 3-4 shots only in a period? Many.

Who can replace him?

You might have a point.

Who could they bring in that could improve on Goose's career high of 12 goals in one season?

Yeah that would be tough to replace alright, good point!

Yep we have a irreplaceable player in Guastad, Stanley cup here we come.

Archived