Who was the big fish that got away?

SDS

Barasso? Johansson?

we all kjnow about picking Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy, but who was actually a Sabre at one point, but we traded him away so they could achieve a great career?

Barasso? Johansson?

we all kjnow about picking Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy, but who was actually a Sabre at one point, but we traded him away so they could achieve a great career?

Depends on how you define "big fish". There were a few other Sabres that got away that played pretty well for other teams. They include Ray Sheppard, Corey Sarich, Keith Carney, Uwe Krupp. Keith Ballard will probably join that group.

I suppose Rolosen could also be included in the group, but he changed his style after playing in Buffalo, so he wasn't really the same goalie for the Sabres that he is for the Wild.

I purposefully left Turgeon off the list, as I think he had already made a name for himself prior to being traded. I'm sure I'm missing some that others might put on the list (McNab, Sutton, or Puppa perhaps), but the Sabres haven't been fleeced too often. And they have been known to fleece someone else on a few occasions. (Dom from Chicago for essentially Ruuttu and a draft pick (that turned into Daze) being far and away the most notable.)

Guest Dan from north Buffalo

Patrick Roy was in the Sabres organization early in his career. I think that might have been the biggest fish to get away. Also Hasek won a stanley cup after he left, that was BIG!

Patrick Roy was in the Sabres organization early in his career. I think that might have been the biggest fish to get away. Also Hasek won a stanley cup after he left, that was BIG!

You sure you're not thinking of DEREK Roy?

If he was in the Buffalo organization, it must have been VERY early in his career as he was DRAFTED by Montreal. (Where's that D'oh smiley when you need it?)

I know Roy was drafted by the Canadiens, but I can't find any indication that he was ever in the Sabres organization.

Patrick Roy

That would be because he wasn't.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at, but being new to the board, I didn't want to sound like a jerk in one of my first 10 posts... :D

Uwe Krupp turned out to be a pretty good player I think he played with Colorado?

Philippe Boucher has made quite a career for himself

Corey Sarich and Sean O'donnell seamed to turn out pretty good

5 years from now we might be saying Keith Ballard was huge!

Gees thats all defenceman?

Yeah, that was what I was getting at, but being new to the board, I didn't want to sound like a jerk in one of my first 10 posts... :D

Well, you have six more tries....

(Just kidding.) :P

Welcome!

That might just about cover it. It's interesting to see that despite the conventional wisdom that the Sabres have been a "farm team" for the rest of the NHL and have had to let their best young players go because they can't afford them, the players they have traded in general haven't done much elsewhere, especially in recent years. Looking at the approximately 35 players Darcy Regier has traded over the years, for every Keith Ballard or Corey Sarich, there are three or four Alexei Tezikovs, Mike Wilsons and Kamil Piroses.

Archived