Same ticket prices = Same team

FearTheReaper

As per Wgr http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Individual-Ti...he-Same/4890454

Obviously if they were going to make signifcant changes to the team,changes that would make the team instantly better,the prices would be raised. The fact that the prices are the same tells me that this is not going to happen.

This is the team. This is "building from within" . Too bad building from within also entails a false sense of hope.

A hope that players that can return to form. That young players can step in and fill voids veteran's should fill. A hope that every player stays healthy,otherwise the season expectations become altered(see 2009 trade deadline). And a hope that a young group of core players can mature into the players that once were leading this team.

Here are the minor changes-

Spacek out : Montador in. ( I feel this makes the team worse,as now there is almost no offense on the d line)

Max out : Gerbe or Kennedy in ( I feel the team doesn't improve or become worse by this "move"')

Meanwhile,Hecht and Tallinder remain on the team. Eating away a combined 7.05 mil in salary this season. And to think, that money could be spent on players such as Brooks Laich at 2.1 mil. Or on Marc-Andre Bergeron at an estimated 3.5 mil.

We still need size in the forward ranks. And another proven defenseman to even think of becoming more competitive than last season. I dont forsee a trade that would remove any of our deadweight guys. Let alone a trade that would actually improve this team. Regier will probably contest that he was looking for trade but couldn't pull the trigger.

We sacrificed Bernier's size for Rivet's grit on the back end and it did little to the makeup of the team last season. Now this off season we sacrifice Spacek's offesnse for Montador's slighly improved d. Does that make us better? Why couldn't we keep Beriner and still obtain Rivet? Why couldn't we resign Spacek and still get Montador? Its maddening.

I was hoping there would be a brass or tin tiered game.

I think titanium would fit quite well. Of course that would mean prices twice the amount of platinum games. But their probably saving their next set of tier games for when they acctually decide to run this team seriously.

Obviously if they were going to make signifcant changes to the team,changes that would make the team instantly better,the prices would be raised. The fact that the prices are the same tells me that this is not going to happen.

OK, so by that logic, if they had raised prices, we can only assume you would have been praising them because it would be a signal changes were coming? Somehow I doubt it. You'd have posted the exact same complaints except the top would have been "How can they raise prices for the same team?!?!?"

That's not to say that your complaints are way off base, but it's a real reach to use keeping ticket prices the same as a springboard to beat the dead horse.

OK, so by that logic, if they had raised prices, we can only assume you would have been praising them because it would be a signal changes were coming? Somehow I doubt it. You'd have posted the exact same complaints except the top would have been "How can they raise prices for the same team?!?!?"

That's not to say that your complaints are way off base, but it's a real reach to use keeping ticket prices the same as a springboard to beat the dead horse.

The "horse" isn't dead. It's alive and well in the offices of the HSBC.

I've been arguing for a while that ticket prices in Buffalo are too low. Near the bottom of the league, I think. I know I'll hear about how poor Buffalo is, but are poor folks buying hockey tickets? All you need in a fairly large hockey-mad market are 18,000+ customers. Let me ask it this way. How much are the strip steaks at Buffalo Chop House? 44 bucks. How can Buffalo afford that? Why aren't the steaks 10 bucks, in line with the local economy?

I'd also like to see the Sabres be a pioneer in the area of selling virtual season tickets to their vast diaspora of fans.

Obviously if they were going to make signifcant changes to the team,changes that would make the team instantly better,the prices would be raised. The fact that the prices are the same tells me that this is not going to happen....

Who kidding who? My seasons went up 20% over the last two seasons. Still "fairly" cheap mind you.

They made less games platinum this year, having not sold out all of them from last year.

I've been arguing for a while that ticket prices in Buffalo are too low. Near the bottom of the league, I think. I know I'll hear about how poor Buffalo is, but are poor folks buying hockey tickets? All you need in a fairly large hockey-mad market are 18,000+ customers. Let me ask it this way. How much are the strip steaks at Buffalo Chop House? 44 bucks. How can Buffalo afford that? Why aren't the steaks 10 bucks, in line with the local economy?

I'd also like to see the Sabres be a pioneer in the area of selling virtual season tickets to their vast diaspora of fans.

This is a great idea. I am surprised all the major sports leagues haven't gone this way. I think the NHL would make a lot more money if they allowed the purchasing of a single team on the Center Ice Package. I really don't want to spend $150- $200 dollars for hundreds of games I'll never watch. I would pay $30 -$40 bucks just for the North Eastern Division team's games. Maybe more for the Eastern Conference. They could even charge more for a inter-conference package.

This is a great idea. I am surprised all the major sports leagues haven't gone this way. I think the NHL would make a lot more money if they allowed the purchasing of a single team on the Center Ice Package. I really don't want to spend $150- $200 dollars for hundreds of games I'll never watch. I would pay $30 -$40 bucks just for the North Eastern Division team's games. Maybe more for the Eastern Conference. They could even charge more for a inter-conference package.

I think the NFL, MLB and NBA should get on board with this as well. I am not renewing my Sunday Ticket package this year, mainly due to the price ($280 in one shot or an extra $56 tacked on to your next five bills) and I just can't reconcile that in my budget right now. (It would be even worse if I had hi-def and wanted to watch the games in hi-def.) I would be much more amenable to ordering the Ticket if I could just order the Bills for $40-$50, but I can't do nearly $300 for the season.

I think the NFL, MLB and NBA should get on board with this as well. I am not renewing my Sunday Ticket package this year, mainly due to the price ($280 in one shot or an extra $56 tacked on to your next five bills) and I just can't reconcile that in my budget right now. (It would be even worse if I had hi-def and wanted to watch the games in hi-def.) I would be much more amenable to ordering the Ticket if I could just order the Bills for $40-$50, but I can't do nearly $300 for the season.

My guess is that they would lose money hand over fist on that deal.

For every subscriber that only gets their team, you need to find 5 more to make up the lost revenue... (using your numbers)

HIGHLY unlikely.

My guess is that they would lose money hand over fist on that deal.

For every subscriber that only gets their team, you need to find 5 more to make up the lost revenue... (using your numbers)

HIGHLY unlikely.

Don't know where I saw it but I was under the impression that DirecTV already loses money hand over fist with the Sunday Ticket package. That may or may not be the case, but in my case they've lost an entire $280 package. At least if they offered a smaller or individual package they might make something off me.

Obtuse. Does the chop house need to sell 18,600 steaks per night that it's open?

Don't know where I saw it but I was under the impression that DirecTV already loses money hand over fist with the Sunday Ticket package. That may or may not be the case, but in my case they've lost an entire $280 package. At least if they offered a smaller or individual package they might make something off me.

you are missing the point. I bet if they offered a smaller package in the dollar value you suggested - some very large portion of the current subscribers would downgrade. I bet anywhere from 60-80%... they would need to find a tremendous numbers of new subscribers to make up for all the downgrades.

you are missing the point. I bet if they offered a smaller package in the dollar value you suggested - some very large portion of the current subscribers would downgrade. I bet anywhere from 60-80%... they would need to find a tremendous numbers of new subscribers to make up for all the downgrades.

No, I'm not missing the point. That is a very real concern, and someone would have to do a lot of due diligence to see if it is even feasible. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how many people would downgrade or what kind of price break it would take to get someone to stay with a full plan versus a partial one. The numbers I tossed out in my reply to Deluca's post were just off-the-cuff guestimates.

To me this is part mindless speculation and part venting, because we have no idea what DirecTV's retention and attrition rates are and what price points (for both the full ST package and a partial package) constitute break-even points for DirecTV and a perceived as good value and keep current full-package subscribers versus downgrading to partial packages, and because I am frustrated that the way things have worked out in the economy the last couple years, we aren't in a position to afford the ST package that we (for the most part) really enjoy.

Any idea how many Center Ice subscribers we are talking about? I would think it's between 50k & 100k. If the NHL could grow that number they could make up for the initial lost revenue with increased subscribers which is also a selling point to potential advertisers. Right now package only sells to the hardcore fan who can afford the high price. In the long run it may be more beneficial.

Obtuse. Does the chop house need to sell 18,600 steaks per night that it's open?
Your question is so impertinent as to make my mind impervious to it.

PA's point's not obtuse, nor is freeman's question impertinent.

what i will say is this: there is a good amount of art and even guesswork involved in getting any team's ticket inventory to move at the right price. this is actually an area where i have confidence in quinn - i think he's sharp when it comes to stuff like that.

apropos of freeman's point, another thing to consider: if the chop house isn't moving enough steaks because they're over-priced, they can immediately tweak their menu and make some special promotion offers on the fly - not so much with the sabres.

finally, you two: ssmessage.wav

"No! They didn't blow the whole thing up. The took the first steps into evolving into the team they are going to be. They had a nice run, they defined who they want the core of this team to be and they are building a solid team with young talent while being responsible financially.

Every franchise makes mistakes or makes decisions that in hindsight they would do differently. Even the Stanley Cup Champs will look back at this season and ask themselves what they can do better.

What teams can the Sabres catch? All of them. There isn't one team in the East that is far and away better than any other team. With Sekera and Weber, I expect the Sabres blue line to be stronger and tougher. I am interested to see what moves are made in the forward ranks. This should be a interesting off season for the Sabres. They should have a strong draft and they have chips to play if they want to make some changes.

As far as "respected national media". I put more faith into the opinions of some on this board then I do any media. Those on this board who follow the team on a daily basis are more in tune with what the Sabres are trying to do. Most modern day media tends to be lazy. They sit home and watch Center Ice and think they know what going on with the Sabres. "

Guess who my ***squirrel*** Master is.

No, I'm not missing the point. That is a very real concern, and someone would have to do a lot of due diligence to see if it is even feasible. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how many people would downgrade or what kind of price break it would take to get someone to stay with a full plan versus a partial one. The numbers I tossed out in my reply to Deluca's post were just off-the-cuff guestimates.

To me this is part mindless speculation and part venting, because we have no idea what DirecTV's retention and attrition rates are and what price points (for both the full ST package and a partial package) constitute break-even points for DirecTV and a perceived as good value and keep current full-package subscribers versus downgrading to partial packages, and because I am frustrated that the way things have worked out in the economy the last couple years, we aren't in a position to afford the ST package that we (for the most part) really enjoy.

Well, put it this way - do you consider the NFL inept at making money? Or DirecTV for that matter? Because that would be what you are saying...

Chances are what is good for YOUR pocket book is bad for theirs. I can guarantee this option has been studied, with actual numbers and focus groups, and if they aren't doing it - then that means they wouldn't be making more money. My guess, and it is only a guess, they would lose big time.

Well, put it this way - do you consider the NFL inept at making money? Or DirecTV for that matter? Because that would be what you are saying...

Chances are what is good for YOUR pocket book is bad for theirs. I can guarantee this option has been studied, with actual numbers and focus groups, and if they aren't doing it - then that means they wouldn't be making more money. My guess, and it is only a guess, they would lose big time.

Well that's not what I'm saying at all. If that's the conclusion you've reached, it's incorrect, and it's a little ridiculous. I know the NFL is great at making money. Perhaps I should have prefaced my original reply with the caveat that it would be great for the consumers/subscribers if they had a partial package.

Archived