Stafford & Mancari

San Diego Sabres Fan

It appears that Drew Stafford and Mark Mancari are the last of the Sabres RFA's, what's the hold up? They need Mancari's size up front, replacing Gerbe for Max works, if they end up resigning both of these guys I see the lines looking like this.

LW Center RW

1st line Vanek Connolly Pommiville

2nd Line MacArthur Roy Stafford

3rd Line Hecht Gaustad Gerbe

4th Line Mair Mancari Kaleta

Odd man out

Matt Ellis

Roy on the first line, they need another playmaking center, trade Hecht and move Kennedy up. Not sure about Mac and Stafford on the same line, I think that is a recipe for a disaster. Stafford might be playing musical chairs with Ellis. Not sure, but I don't like that second line, nor choices of center on the third line. Can you say 12th place in the East!

It appears that Drew Stafford and Mark Mancari are the last of the Sabres RFA's, what's the hold up? They need Mancari's size up front, replacing Gerbe for Max works, if they end up resigning both of these guys I see the lines looking like this.

LW Center RW

1st line Vanek Connolly Pommiville

2nd Line MacArthur Roy Stafford

3rd Line Hecht Gaustad Gerbe

4th Line Mair Mancari Kaleta

Odd man out

Matt Ellis

You missed Paille. With Gerbe or, more likely, Kennedy coming up, I don't see a spot for Mark in the NHL. I'd expect to see:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Kennedy-Gaustad

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

Alt: Ellis

That will depend on Kennedy's showing at camp. I also don't know how Kennedy is on faceoffs, but having Goose on that line allows him to take important draws.

You missed Paille. With Gerbe or, more likely, Kennedy coming up, I don't see a spot for Mark in the NHL. I'd expect to see:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Kennedy-Gaustad

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

That will depend on Kennedy's showing at camp. I also don't know how Kennedy is on faceoffs, but having Goose on that line allows him to take important draws.

Whew... much better line-up. I forgot about Paille and how Pommer likes to play with Roy. Connolly Stafford Vanek could be interesting.

In general, Mark turned down his two-way qualifying offer, so either he wants more money or a one-way deal. I doubt the Sabres feel compelled to give him either, right now.

And, by the way, they need his size specifically in the top six, not any line. I don't believe that the Sabres feel that he would crack the top six. What they really need is someone in MacArthur's slot with a physical presence. Stafford and Vanek aren't super physical, but more so than, say, Pominville. That second line needs someone to do the hard work in the corners. Hecht used to do that, but he didn't show it last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Zherdev just got awarded $3.9MM per year in arbitration. Holy mackarel.

Last year:

Zherdev 23-35-58, 16:50 avg ice time, 6'2", 197, age 24, RW

Stafford 20-25-45, 15:38 avg ice time, 6'1", 202, age 23, RW

Zherdev's numbers are better, but Stafford is in the neighborhood.

Zherdev just got awarded $3.9MM per year in arbitration. Holy mackarel.

Last year:

Zherdev 23-35-58, 16:50 avg ice time, 6'2", 197, age 24, RW

Stafford 20-25-45, 15:38 avg ice time, 6'1", 202, age 23, RW

Zherdev's numbers are better, but Stafford is in the neighborhood.

I stopped reading right before the ice times. I think past decisions have shown that the arbitrators look at nothing but the point production. But does that really matter with Stafford anyway? I really wonder if he has any leverage at all. I really can't see anyone throwing an offer sheet in his direction. At this point, I'm starting to think that he may end up accepting a 1 year deal so he can go to arbitration in the future.

I stopped reading right before the ice times. I think past decisions have shown that the arbitrators look at nothing but the point production. But does that really matter with Stafford anyway? I really wonder if he has any leverage at all. I really can't see anyone throwing an offer sheet in his direction. At this point, I'm starting to think that he may end up accepting a 1 year deal so he can go to arbitration in the future.

If he did that, would he still be able to be "RFA'd"? or does he move to a different class with his age/years?

I agree that he doesn't have much leverage, except that I think the Sabres, having been burned by the 2-year deal they gave Soupy (which ended right when he was eligible for UFA), will want to sign him to a longer-term deal that will eat up a couple of his UFA years. If that's correct, that gives him some leverage. It's hard to see him agreeing to a 4-year deal for much less than $3MM per year.

BTW: is he eligible for arbitration next summer, and then UFA the summer after that?

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Kennedy-Gaustad

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

You know, looking at that top 6 on paper (or the internet), really causes one to shudder at how undersized that top 6 really is.

Can we say: "Fragile"?

You know, looking at that top 6 on paper (or the internet), really causes one to shudder at how undersized that top 6 really is.

So our predicted season starting lineup is this???

Vanek - Connolly - Stafford (providing he gets resigned)

LW to be named (MacArthur, Gerbe or Kennedy) + Roy + Pominville

Hecht - Gaustad + whoever doesn't make 2nd line LW

Paille - Mair - Kaleta

Reserve: Ellis

What is the opinion on Kennedy making the team over Gerbe? To me, seems like they could both do with another full season in AAA.

Are we all in agreement that this lineup has little or no improvement from last couple of years? We'd better hope someone (Gerbe or Kennedy) blows the competition away in camp and emerges as a legitimate NHL starter and the only other hope is that everyone has great seasons or it's going to be a long year.

By the way, what happened to Andrew Peters? Is he definitely gone? Are we going without an enforcer? Too bad we couldn't get a true goon to play 4th line and at least have that to round out the lineup - unfortunately very few goons can skate and put in the minutes necessary to stick as a regular.

Our defense hopefully stayed at par by replacing Spacek with Montador.

By the way, what happened to Andrew Peters? Is he definitely gone? Are we going without an enforcer? Too bad we couldn't get a true goon to play 4th line and at least have that to round out the lineup - unfortunately very few goons can skate and put in the minutes necessary to stick as a regular.

You should really read this thread about McCormick, our latest acquisition.

I agree that he doesn't have much leverage, except that I think the Sabres, having been burned by the 2-year deal they gave Soupy (which ended right when he was eligible for UFA), will want to sign him to a longer-term deal that will eat up a couple of his UFA years. If that's correct, that gives him some leverage. It's hard to see him agreeing to a 4-year deal for much less than $3MM per year.

BTW: is he eligible for arbitration next summer, and then UFA the summer after that?

If he does sign a one year deal, he will be eligible for arbitration next year. 4 years is the longest time anyone would have to wait to be eligible. He won't reach UFA status until 2012, but the arbitration eligibility would definitely get him much more leverage next year. Those awards have been steep and it looks like most teams are very anxious to avoid going that route whenever possible.

If he does sign a one year deal, he will be eligible for arbitration next year. 4 years is the longest time anyone would have to wait to be eligible. He won't reach UFA status until 2012, but the arbitration eligibility would definitely get him much more leverage next year. Those awards have been steep and it looks like most teams are very anxious to avoid going that route whenever possible.

So DR is probably offering 5 years, 20 million and Staff wants more money or less years?

Arbitration scares DR so he's got to get by that. Plus he doesn't want to get bent over like he did with BC so he takes a few years into UFA status.

I don't see how he does it/afford it. With under 5 million in cap space, not spending over their 'budget', having Paille, Kennedy, and then Gerbe, et al coming up in the next years.

Wait, Lydman and Hank are gone, there's 6 million. Start staff at 3 mill, then 500 more each year, done.

So DR is probably offering 5 years, 20 million and Staff wants more money or less years?

Arbitration scares DR so he's got to get by that. Plus he doesn't want to get bent over like he did with BC so he takes a few years into UFA status.

I don't see how he does it/afford it. With under 5 million in cap space, not spending over their 'budget', having Paille, Kennedy, and then Gerbe, et al coming up in the next years.

Wait, Lydman and Hank are gone, there's 6 million. Start staff at 3 mill, then 500 more each year, done.

I won't even try to guess what either side wants, but arbitration can't be a major concern for Darcy right now. That's not an issue until next year. They control his rights for three more seasons, so at this moment, the Sabres are holding most of the chips. Obviously they'd like to lock him in now at a decent rate, but who knows what either side thinks that is.

They might be fragile but they aren't really that "undersized."

Connolly 6'1" 199

Vanek 6'2" 205

Stafford 6'2" 202

Pominville 6'0" 186

Mac 6'1" 195

Roy 5'9" 188

Archived