Stafford & Mancari

San Diego Sabres Fan

Look at Plekanec, Callahan, Grabovski, Zajac. All in the ballpark in numbers and salaries.

Now, go look at Briere's numbers from his first seasons and compare them to Stafford. Very similiar.

Another tidbit, Hudler. Gets an arby award of 2 years 5.75 million yesterday, but took a one year deal for 2 million with Dynamo. WTF?

Not sure where you saw your numbers for Hudler.

TSN link

"Hudler recently signed a $10-million, two-year deal with Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Kontinental Hockey League, where he will play next season."

So DR is probably offering 5 years, 20 million and Staff wants more money or less years?
Andrei Kostitsyn, essentially identical numbers, $3.25 million per year.
Look at Plekanec, Callahan, Grabovski, Zajac. All in the ballpark in numbers and salaries.

i'm confused.

the notion that darcy might want to sign stafford for 5/$20MM made me queasy.

then in response to my post (not sure why it didn't attach to the multiquote) and shrader's, you cite plekanec's deal (1/$2.75), callahan's (2/$4.6 (a $2.3 hit)), grabovski's (3/$8.7 (a $2.9 hit)), and zajac's (4/$15.5 (a $3.8 hit)) as in the ballpark. i assume you meant they're in the ballpark of kostitsyn's deal (3/$9.75 (a $3.25 hit)). grabovski's in the same neighborhood as kostityin's, but the other deals are horses of a different color.

sorry. it's august. help a brother out.

Now, go look at Briere's numbers from his first seasons and compare them to Stafford. Very similiar.

i don't get this one either.

Brier:

Year Team GP G A Pts

1997-98 PHO 5 1 0 1

1998-99 PHO 64 8 14 22

1999-00 PHO 13 1 1 2

2000-01 PHO 30 11 4 15

2001-02 PHO 78 32 28 60

2002-03 PHO 68 17 29 46

2002-03 BUF 14 7 5 12

Stafford

Year Team GP G A Pts

2006-07 BUF 41 13 14 27

2007-08 BUF 64 16 22 38

2008-09 BUF 79 20 25 45

i'm confused.

the notion that darcy might want to sign stafford for 5/$20MM made me queasy.

then in response to my post (not sure why it didn't attach to the multiquote) and shrader's, you cite plekanec's deal (1/$2.75), callahan's (2/$4.6 (a $2.3 hit)), grabovski's (3/$8.7 (a $2.9 hit)), and zajac's (4/$15.5 (a $3.8 hit)) as in the ballpark. i assume you meant they're in the ballpark of kostitsyn's deal (3/$9.75 (a $3.25 hit)). grabovski's in the same neighborhood as kostityin's, but the other deals are horses of a different color.

sorry. it's august. help a brother out.

Without looking it up, I'm assuming she brought these up these players becuase they have similar stats.

For type of numbers they compare to a "Stafford". I wasn't really comparing him to Kostitsyn deal. (or at least I didn't think I was).

With Briere, he didn't do much his first three years in the league. Staff has done more and IMHO can only get better over the next four or five (like Briere did). After that, he, much like Briere, may need to be put out to pasture.

Without looking it up, I'm assuming she brought these up these players becuase they have similar stats.
For type of numbers they compare to a "Stafford". I wasn't really comparing him to Kostitsyn deal. (or at least I didn't think I was).

so their stats compare to stafford's, but the #s associated with their deals are all over the road? :unsure:

it is august, innit?

With Briere, he didn't do much his first three years in the league.

true, that.

Staff has done more

true, that.

and IMHO can only get better over the next four or five

hmm. i see a significant chance that stafford charts more toward the mediocrity that only a smug and self-satisfied jock can deliver. (remember mouse potatoes? i was waiting for him to threaten us with wedgies.)

(like Briere did)

i think briere's a very different case history. he's a smallish guy who was getting stronger before the lockout (when he arrived, i remember hearing about his then-new training regimen with a quebec weightlifting champ) and then just exploded when the league went to a touch-free game.

After that, he, much like Briere, may need to be put out to pasture.

i disagree. briere's a victim of the denis savard syndrome -- i.e., little guys who rely on their quickness and burst and whose careers cannot be sustained into the player's mid-30s. stafford's not that sort of player.

Not sure where you saw your numbers for Hudler.

TSN link

"Hudler recently signed a $10-million, two-year deal with Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Kontinental Hockey League, where he will play next season."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/offseason/europe

can't get your link to work

Fixed my link. Try it again.

i disagree. briere's a victim of the denis savard syndrome -- i.e., little guys who rely on their quickness and burst and whose careers cannot be sustained into the player's mid-30s. stafford's not that sort of player.

So are you saying that you think Stafford may have more upside than Briere and signing him now for the 5 years may be a "Vanek" deal?

So are you saying that you think Stafford may have more upside than Briere

i do not think that stafford has more upside than briere (e.g., i don't think stafford will ever be a ppg guy like briere was at his peak); stafford probably stands to have a longer career.

and signing him now for the 5 years may be a "Vanek" deal?

far from it - when cheese suggested darcy might be looking to get stafford for 5 years, i looked for the puke emoticon. in my ideal world, we'd sign him for 2/~$5MM or, less ideal, 3/~$8.75. i think the guy still has a lot to prove.

i do not think that stafford has more upside than briere (e.g., i don't think stafford will ever be a ppg guy like briere was at his peak); stafford probably stands to have a longer career.

far from it - when cheese suggested darcy might be looking to get stafford for 5 years, i looked for the puke emoticon. in my ideal world, we'd sign him for 2/~$5MM or, less ideal, 3/~$8.75. i think the guy still has a lot to prove.

If Stafford stands in front of the net and gets some tips from Vanek on how to tip that puck then he could be a very good ppg.

Back to the Rangers walking away from Zherdev: they traded Fedor Tyutin to Columbus for Zherdev before last season. So they had Zherdev for one year. Meanwhile, Tyutin was the Jackets' #1 defenseman and led the team in ice time. And Columbus was #9 in the NHL in fewest goals against.

In other words: that trade was yet another bozo move by Sather.

Archived