Sabres' apparently sign Joe DiPenta

tom webster

Depth signing. Because he didn't play in the NHL last year, played only 23 NHL games the year before and has played in more than 320 NHL/AHL games, he qualifies as a Veteran Minor League player, as defined by section 50.9(g) of the CBA. He, therefore, is exempt from the re-entry waivers process.

So just off of the top of my head, the defensemen currently lined up for Portland:

Brennan

Scheistel

Persson

DiPenta

Kostka

Gragnani (will he finally be moved up front permanently?)

Generous

Weber (possibly)

So when we pair that up with the possibles for the Sabres roster:

Rivet

Lydman

Tallinder

Butler

Montador

Sekera

Paetsch

Myers (possibly)

That's a lot of bodies. Like Tom Webster keeps saying, some kind of change is coming.

AWESOME!!! WAY TO GO DARCY!!

THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT THE SABRES NEEDED TO GET EM OVER THE HUMP AND INTO THE PLAYOFFS. I'VE HAD THIS GUY ON MY RADAR FROM DAY ONE! SO GLAD DARCY AND I THINK ALIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SABRES GONNA WIN THAT CUP!!!!

Depth signing. Because he didn't play in the NHL last year, played only 23 NHL games the year before and has played in more than 320 NHL/AHL games, he qualifies as a Veteran Minor League player, as defined by section 50.9(g) of the CBA. He, therefore, is exempt from the re-entry waivers process.

Nice.

Things have a funny way of working out. If he scores the SCGWG, it certainly will be!

Joe Dipenta couldn't score the SCGWG if every player in the NHL changed their name to Joe Dipenta.

Is this really the only level of player Regier can attract? Does Regier have a sign in his office that reads 'Lower Expectations Will Reduce the Chance of Disappointment'?

Sabres sign defenseman, DiPenta, to one-year contract

July 12, 2009

Portland, ME ? The Buffalo Sabres continue to add grit to their blueline, yesterday, when they signed defenseman Joe DiPenta to one-year contract.

DiPenta, 30, spent last season in the Swedish Elite League with Frolunda where scored one goal, six assists for seven points in 47 games.

Prior to heading to Sweden, he spent three seasons (2005-2008) with the Anaheim Ducks, former AHL affiliate of the Portland Pirates, where he won the Stanley Cup in 2007. DiPenta has scored six goals, 17 assists in 174 NHL games with Atlanta and Anaheim.

Read the rest of this entry ?

So just off of the top of my head, the defensemen currently lined up for Portland:

Brennan

Scheistel

Persson

DiPenta

Kostka

Generous

Weber (possibly)

Rivet

Lydman

Tallinder

Butler

Montador

Sekera

Paetsch

Myers (possibly)

That's a lot of bodies. Like Tom Webster keeps saying, some kind of change is coming.

I think the number of blueliners in the system(along with injuries) are why Card and Funk were sent packing. It is puzzling to me why the FO continues to select defensemen in the draft(2 of there first four picks last month) when there were almost as many blueliners at the prospects camp as there were forwards. I agree that Gragnani should be moved to forward permanently to help with the log jam.

That being said, the DiPenta(or other vet) signing was much needed as most of the vets from last years Portland team have moved on and hopefully the Sabres FO has learned from two years ago that you can't field an AHL team without veteran players.

It is puzzling to me why the FO continues to select defensemen in the draft(2 of there first four picks last month) when there were almost as many blueliners at the prospects camp as there were forwards.

Count the number of elite NHL defensemen. Then count the number of elite NHL forwards. Now you know why the FO keeps selecting defensemen.

Brennan

Scheistel

Persson

DiPenta

Kostka

Generous

Weber (possibly)

Rivet

Lydman

Tallinder

Butler

Montador

Sekera

Paetsch

Myers (possibly)

What does that tell you?

TRADE COMING!

My guess Tallinder or Lydman.

• 4 weeks later...

Joe DiPenta will be writing a season long blog for The Hockey News. I wonder if he will be the #7 d-men this season and not Nathan Paetsch? Not sure why he'd agree to write a blog for THN about his experience as a Sabres d-men if he pretty much knew he'd be headed to Portland...

Anyways, link- http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27451-Joe-DiPentas-Blog-To-Sweden-and-back.html

Joe DiPenta will be writing a season long blog for The Hockey News. I wonder if he will be the #7 d-men this season and not Nathan Paetsch? Not sure why he'd agree to write a blog for THN about his experience as a Sabres d-men if he pretty much knew he'd be headed to Portland...

Anyways, link- http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27451-Joe-DiPentas-Blog-To-Sweden-and-back.html

He obviously signed with the Sabres because he has a thing for cobblestone streets.

Archived