Spacek to Montreal

Two or less

Good for Jaro, terrible signing by Montreal. What do you expect when you have 20 roster spots to fill on July 1st? Jaro is not worth more than a 1 or 2 year deal max, and he certainly does not justify a raise.

Okay, I'm going to start banging the Tallinder and pick to Colorado for Liles drum now!

I'm sure he'll have a nice little spike in scoring. Montreal always seems to put up big numbers from their powerplay pointmen.

yup.. like the time when Goose blew by ol' cement-skates Schneider

So, which offensive defenseman are available on the market not named Tyler Myers? The Sabres will need someone to replace Spacek's production and like I've said before, while I like Myers, I don't want that offense being replaced by a rookie. So who's left? Well, Eklund has Koistinen signed in Florida, but we never know if that's true. Derek Morris is available. Adrain Aucoin is a UFA this year as well. Jordan Leopold has still not signed with Florida, so I guess he's available as well. Obviously, we don't know who's available on the trade market, but there might be some good cheaper options on the UFA market. Anyone know? I can't believe the Sabres will simply replace Spacek's offense with Tyler Myers, Sekera, and Nathan Paetsch. Darcy's got to be better than that, I hope.

So, which offensive defenseman are available on the market not named Tyler Myers? The Sabres will need someone to replace Spacek's production and like I've said before, while I like Myers, I don't want that offense being replaced by a rookie. So who's left? Well, Eklund has Koistinen signed in Florida, but we never know if that's true. Derek Morris is available. Adrain Aucoin is a UFA this year as well. Jordan Leopold has still not signed with Florida, so I guess he's available as well. Obviously, we don't know who's available on the trade market, but there might be some good cheaper options on the UFA market. Anyone know? I can't believe the Sabres will simply replace Spacek's offense with Tyler Myers, Sekera, and Nathan Paetsch. Darcy's got to be better than that, I hope.

shiit in one hand wish in the other see what fills up first. :sick:

Honestly, offense from the defense is the least of my worries at this point. If and when Myers arrives, I want him settling in and not thinking he has to provide offense too. With Connolly and/or Pommer playing the point on the PP, they eat up a lot of points that would go to defensemen on other teams. Sekera can be expected to chip in a bit more, Rivet too if he is healthy ... Butler too if he is playing every night. I know what you are saying but given the breakdowns in their own end the last two years, I say fix that and any offense is a bonus.

Honestly, offense from the defense is the least of my worries at this point. If and when Myers arrives, I want him settling in and not thinking he has to provide offense too. With Connolly and/or Pommer playing the point on the PP, they eat up a lot of points that would go to defensemen on other teams. Sekera can be expected to chip in a bit more, Rivet too if he is healthy ... Butler too if he is playing every night. I know what you are saying but given the breakdowns in their own end the last two years, I say fix that and any offense is a bonus.

It shouldn't be. I agree the first job of a defenseman is to play well in the defensive zone and help prevent the puck from going into the net. But, you need defenseman who can make a good clearing/breakout pass to the forwards to create a rush the other way (something Teppo used to be very good at). You need defenseman who can put the puck on net in the offensive zone and through traffic. That is critical in terms of helping your forwards get points and score goals. The Sabres got very little offense out of their defenseman and the only real threat was Spacek, who also happened to be pretty good in the defensive zone. Signing Montador does not replace Spacek's offense. You need to score goals to win games. And you need help from your defenseman in order to do that.

It shouldn't be. I agree the first job of a defenseman is to play well in the defensive zone and help prevent the puck from going into the net. But, you need defenseman who can make a good clearing/breakout pass to the forwards to create a rush the other way (something Teppo used to be very good at). You need defenseman who can put the puck on net in the offensive zone and through traffic. That is critical in terms of helping your forwards get points and score goals. The Sabres got very little offense out of their defenseman and the only real threat was Spacek, who also happened to be pretty good in the defensive zone. Signing Montador does not replace Spacek's offense. You need to score goals to win games. And you need help from your defenseman in order to do that.

I'm not saying they should be chained to the crossbar and not allowed past center ice. But this team has bigger issues. In theory I of course agree with what you are saying, and I'd love them to make another move to address what you are saying. But this particular team has a budget and we know they are going to make only so many moves, and they needed another physical presence who will take care of their own end first. Sekera has the potential to be what you are talking about. So does Butler. What they don't have among the young guys was someone who will play a real physical game. Myers could be that guy but they can't count him every night this season. If Butler and Sekera take another step in development, the offense will not drop off that much. To me, it's a better bet than hoping all of a sudden the others will start playing physical and signing someone just for offense.

Archived