Spacek to Montreal

Two or less

fair point. i would settle for someone with a fluttering snapshot who can figure out a way to get the puck through traffic.

I'd settle for real pointmen that can get the shot through. I am soooooo done with Pominville on the point.

Darcey's comments;

-- They are attempting to find another puck-moving defenseman.

-- They think a lot of trades that aren't there now will open up once free agency is complete.

Seems like he is hoping Montador is Teppo's replacement.

One more thing I'd throw out here. With the Leafs acquiring a bunch of rough and tough players, the power play is going to be even more important than before. See their acquisition of Komisarek, May, Exelby, etc. Burke is going to building a physical thuglike team that will get a lot of penalties. To beat that team, you need size and grit, and a great powerplay. This why losing Spacek is even more of a problem than we thought. The Leafs are going to get a ton of penalties this year and the Sabres play them 6 times. The Sabres need to acquire someone who can QB the PP and bring a hard shot from the point on the PP. Spacek and Kotalik did it. Mancari, if he plays full time in the NHL is one guy who might replace Kotalik's game and production, but he's not a great player. The Sabres need to acquire a defenseman who can bring it like Spacek to be effective on the PP especially within the division. By the way, I expect Neil to sign in Toronto as well. The Sabres need to build a PP to beat the division.

One more thing I'd throw out here. With the Leafs acquiring a bunch of rough and tough players, the power play is going to be even more important than before. See their acquisition of Komisarek, May, Exelby, etc. Burke is going to building a physical thuglike team that will get a lot of penalties. To beat that team, you need size and grit, and a great powerplay. This why losing Spacek is even more of a problem than we thought. The Leafs are going to get a ton of penalties this year and the Sabres play them 6 times. The Sabres need to acquire someone who can QB the PP and bring a hard shot from the point on the PP. Spacek and Kotalik did it. Mancari, if he plays full time in the NHL is one guy who might replace Kotalik's game and production, but he's not a great player. The Sabres need to acquire a defenseman who can bring it like Spacek to be effective on the PP especially within the division. By the way, I expect Neil to sign in Toronto as well. The Sabres need to build a PP to beat the division.

Well the good news and bad news is this....Montador's numbers even strength were about identical to Spacho's - Montador 78 gp 4-16-20 to Spacho's 80 gp 4-19-23 of course Montador isn't going to be playing as much on the PP or PK.... but it is really Teppo that's getting replaced here. That's the RH shot.

Well the good news and bad news is this....Montador's numbers even strength were about identical to Spacho's - Montador 78 gp 4-16-20 to Spacho's 80 gp 4-19-23 of course Montador isn't going to be playing as much on the PP or PK.... but it is really Teppo that's getting replaced here. That's the RH shot.

interesting. wish i'd seen this before i whinged in the montador pinned thread that the spacek/montador swap was less than ideal.

do we see the team trying to acquire a third-tier puck-moving d-man via trade? (i will say "third" because spacek's arguably a second-tier talent in that regard, and we did not have the appetite to sign him.) or will LQ's edict of "success from within" dictate that the team look to sekera to step up?

interesting. wish i'd seen this before i whinged in the montador pinned thread that the spacek/montador swap was less than ideal.

do we see the team trying to acquire a third-tier puck-moving d-man via trade? (i will say "third" because spacek's arguably a second-tier talent in that regard, and we did not have the appetite to sign him.) or will LQ's edict of "success from within" dictate that the team look to sekera to step up?

Or Meyers. The Sabres are shaping up to be a very interesting team in 2011. A quiet offseason will turn 09-10 into a rebuilding year. I'm not saying that Regier isn't going to make any more significant moves, but if it turns out that way, next season's success criteria will be based on how much the Sabres young defensemen progress.

Two ways you could go here......you could go with a guy like Kuba.....who still has plenty of years left and could be a bargain.

More offense than Tallinder and just as physical (joking)....he could be a real bargain and a nice guy for the point.

Or take a chance on somebody like Boucher.....who is long in the tooth with health issues.

Or go with a guy like McKee with a short contract and take a wait and see with the development of the youngsters.

Or Meyers. The Sabres are shaping up to be a very interesting team in 2011. A quiet offseason will turn 09-10 into a rebuilding year. I'm not saying that Regier isn't going to make any more significant moves, but if it turns out that way, next season's success criteria will be based on how much the Sabres young defensemen progress.

Great - let's write off another year in the Sabres' history to "rebuilding". So, I wonder how teams like Anaheim and Tampa Bay can go from expansion teams to Stanley Cup champs in approximately the same number of years that Darcy and Lindy have been at the Sabres' helm? (OK, this is a rhetorical question; I know how the teams were built, I'm just saying....) It's really beginning to irk me that there are so many teams that came into the league after the Sabres who have won the Cup and here we are, still talking about "rebuilding". Building a Stanley Cup-caliber team is tough; doing it exclusively through the draft and the occasional inexpensive free agent signing is nigh onto impossible. If the Sabres continue on the current couse, we can expect the Cup about the same time that the first aliens land in 2039....... :ph34r:

Great - let's write off another year in the Sabres' history to "rebuilding". So, I wonder how teams like Anaheim and Tampa Bay can go from expansion teams to Stanley Cup champs in approximately the same number of years that Darcy and Lindy have been at the Sabres' helm? (OK, this is a rhetorical question; I know how the teams were built, I'm just saying....) It's really beginning to irk me that there are so many teams that came into the league after the Sabres who have won the Cup and here we are, still talking about "rebuilding". Building a Stanley Cup-caliber team is tough; doing it exclusively through the draft and the occasional inexpensive free agent signing is nigh onto impossible. If the Sabres continue on the current couse, we can expect the Cup about the same time that the first aliens land in 2039....... :ph34r:

Ditto, that is the point I am trying to make on the other Spacek thread. I couldn't agree more and Spacek will be a greater loss to the Sabres than addition to Montreal.

Ditto, that is the point I am trying to make on the other Spacek thread. I couldn't agree more and Spacek will be a greater loss to the Sabres than addition to Montreal.

Do you really think that losing Spacek is the missing link that will keep them from competing for the Cup? keeping Spacek at the price you suggest in the other thread might make them a little better this season but we all know this team is not competing for the Cup this season and that $5million/year deal you

are talking about on the other thread hurts their chances next year and the year after.

So, which offensive defenseman are available on the market not named Tyler Myers? The Sabres will need someone to replace Spacek's production and like I've said before, while I like Myers, I don't want that offense being replaced by a rookie. So who's left? Well, Eklund has Koistinen signed in Florida, but we never know if that's true. Derek Morris is available. Adrain Aucoin is a UFA this year as well. Jordan Leopold has still not signed with Florida, so I guess he's available as well. Obviously, we don't know who's available on the trade market, but there might be some good cheaper options on the UFA market. Anyone know? I can't believe the Sabres will simply replace Spacek's offense with Tyler Myers, Sekera, and Nathan Paetsch. Darcy's got to be better than that, I hope.

It looks like slim pickings. Perhaps Bergeron from Minny? Leopold might not be a bad option depending on the price and term. I just don't see us going after any of the names that are available. As far as puck movers I don't see anyone who I'd want playing a ton of minutes. Hopefully, there is a trade in the works that can fill this hole.

Archived