2010 Winter Classic

Mbossy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4270968

The NHL is hoping to double down on the success of its Winter Classic by planning a second outdoor game for Jan. 1, 2010, according to multiple league sources.

The back end of the outdoor doubleheader would be hosted by the Flames in Calgary's McMahon Stadium, the site of the opening and closing ceremonies for the 1988 Winter Olympics. The opponent is unknown but figures to be one of the other five Canadian-based franchises.

While there has been no official announcement, the first half of the Winter Classic twin bill likely will be hosted by the Boston Bruins at historic Fenway Park. Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals are rumored to be the Bruins' opponent.

IMO, the more hockey the better!

not that it matters, but i'd have thought the rangers would have made a better opponent. alas, must have either sidney or alex in the premier event of the winter.

as for the flames game, it would be cool to finally see toronto in one of these deals.

Some people think the NHL is beating a dead horse by making it 2 games but it makes a lot of sense. NHL can not get away with 1 Canadian winter classic because America will just not care. And Canada has been desperate for the game. Calgary against either Edmonton or Vancouver is a neat idea. And in 2011 i heard Toronto/Montreal might be the Canadian matchup.

Trenton, NJ (Sports Network) - The NHL's third Winter Classic will be played between the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins at Fenway Park on January 1, 2010.

It is being reported by the Trentonian that the league was trying to push for a Washington/Boston matchup at Fenway in order to feature two-time Hart Trophy winner Alex Ovechkin. However, NBC, who will broadcast the game, wanted the Flyers so as to draw a better television audience.

Trenton, NJ (Sports Network) - The NHL's third Winter Classic will be played between the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins at Fenway Park on January 1, 2010.

It is being reported by the Trentonian that the league was trying to push for a Washington/Boston matchup at Fenway in order to feature two-time Hart Trophy winner Alex Ovechkin. However, NBC, who will broadcast the game, wanted the Flyers so as to draw a better television audience.

Imagine that the beltway crowd doesn't watch TV. :rolleyes: .. go figure

Any who I like the idea if it promotes the game...

maybe NBC could hire LQ to work with them on promoting the game. He could change the NBC logo to a set of elephant nuts and get rid of the quality shows. That would help ratings. Of course us lemmings wouild still be eating it up.

Who is Emery going to take on in that game? Chara?

maybe NBC could hire LQ to work with them on promoting the game. He could change the NBC logo to a set of elephant nuts and get rid of the quality shows. That would help ratings. Of course us lemmings wouild still be eating it up.

Elephant nuts! E I E I O.

Whoa. Lived in DC for seven years, and we definitely watched TV. C-Span, MacNeil-Lehrer, great stuff. C-Span2's Babes of the Library of Congress Cafeteria was always an awesome show.

Hockey on TV? No. Actually, those folks didn't watch hockey live, as I've mentioned about a thousand times. Freaking bandwagoners.

Anyway, I still hope there's one in Calgary. I've been to Boston a few times; it's an ok city, a little on the dirty side (sorry, shrader), but ok. Actually, it's great, if you want your barista to explain German literary theory, but it's still a little dirty. Calgary, I've never seen.

Party at shrader's house if it's only the one game in Boston.

Oh, and shrader, yeah, you're buying the beer, too.

New Years Party at shrader's???

I'll bring the noise makers if someone else brings that confetti that you keep finding places for at least 10 years.

Ink calls those "body art." DeLuca calls them "cling-ons."

Boston's best rival is Montreal, but I guess they want to spread the game around. The Habs already played one outdoors.

PTR

Whoa. Lived in DC for seven years, and we definitely watched TV. C-Span, MacNeil-Lehrer, great stuff. C-Span2's Babes of the Library of Congress Cafeteria was always an awesome show.

Hockey on TV? No. Actually, those folks didn't watch hockey live, as I've mentioned about a thousand times. Freaking bandwagoners.

Anyway, I still hope there's one in Calgary. I've been to Boston a few times; it's an ok city, a little on the dirty side (sorry, shrader), but ok. Actually, it's great, if you want your barista to explain German literary theory, but it's still a little dirty. Calgary, I've never seen.

Party at shrader's house if it's only the one game in Boston.

Oh, and shrader, yeah, you're buying the beer, too.

Why apologize? I'm only here for the job. There might be another potential lure for the Boston event though. There's been a lot of talk around here of them wanting to get full use out of the rink while it's up. There's a strong possibility of a BU-BC game. No one's confirming anything yet, but BCs coach didn't exactly deny it at an event yesterday.

Here's the relevant text, with my criticisms...

There will not be a second NHL outdoor game in Calgary on January 1, 2010.

Dammit. And shrader, we're invading.

The NHL's competition committee met today in Montreal and that was one of a number of issues that was dealt with.

What the hell does this mean?

While there won't be a second outdoor game to follow up the currently scheduled New Year's Day game at Boston's Fenway Park, there is likely to be a second special event in a Canadian city.

The Olympics is a special event. That, likely, will be in Vancouver.

Sources say that event is possibly a game at Montreal's Olympic Stadium to celebrate the Canadiens' 100th anniversary.

It's a shame that the NHL has ignored the Canadiens' anniversary until now. Why won't the league do something to celebrate it? They should put an All-Star Game there, or a draft, or something.

Archived