Pittsburgh fan arrested over post

ROC Sabres

This is some crazy sh!t

Don't know if it iwas mentioned in the playoff discussion but wow. Be careful what you say on here. Big brother is watching.

Pittsburgh fan arrest over Ovechkin death threat

Regardless of what was said and when it was said, threatening to kill anyone and posting on the Internet is serious business.

I don't care how retroactively remorseful that 17 year-old is. He's going to jail, regardless of what First Amendment invocation he and his lawyer attempt to use in court.

Regardless of what was said and when it was said, threatening to kill anyone and posting on the Internet is serious business.

I don't care how retroactively remorseful that 17 year-old is. He's going to jail, regardless of what First Amendment invocation he and his lawyer attempt to use in court.

pretty sure no charges were ever filed, and nobody is going to jail. anyone who took the threat seriously needs to take a chill pill imo. you can throw all this "YOU HAVE TO TAKE DEATH THREATS SERIOUSLY" #%^$#! around but come on it's a PENGUINS FANSITE MESSAGE BOARD during a PLAYOFF SERIES with rival team WASHINGTON. it's called passion.

Like i said, i didn't know if it was made mention of or not (looked over the threads briefly) so my bad on the late post but still, I had to say something because that's insane.

ROC, it did happen quite a while ago (note it was Ovechkin, not Franzen, right?), but no worries. It's not like there's a current thread discussing this--there isn't.

XC, betcha a burger that the kid gets no time.

Jack, HEY YOU MAY BE RIGHT BUT WOW HOW MANY ENERGY DRINKS CAN ONE CONSUME IN A SINGLE DAY?

Be careful what you wish for. Some day someone might consider preaching eternal damnation as a threat of physical violence and preachers will be sitting next to 17 year old internet posters in jail :rolleyes:

There's no way they send a 17 year old to jail over an internet death threat. And there is no reason to do so either. People say things they don't mean when they are angry and venting. In our criminal justice system, words are meaningless. Only action is punishable.

There's no way they send a 17 year old to jail over an internet death threat. And there is no reason to do so either. People say things they don't mean when they are angry and venting. In our criminal justice system, words are meaningless. Only action is punishable.

Given your major at RIT, I'll take your word for it.

Still, it is pause for concern.

Be careful what you wish for. Some day someone might consider preaching eternal damnation as a threat of physical violence and preachers will be sitting next to 17 year old internet posters in jail :rolleyes:

Are you wishing for that?

Guest Sloth

If someone made a death threat to the President, they'd be arrested, charged, and found guilty in a heart beat. Our government would not care if it was a post on the internet.

As a side note, I do not think the 17 year old should be punished. Action is the only that should be punishable, not words.

I couldn't care less. The point is that it is ridiculous to think a 17 year kid should do jail time for anything posted on a message board.There are far too many people in this country with their panties bunched.

It is hard to imagine that a DA would prosecute this.

Let's see, a Pittsburgh fan in front of a Pittsburgh grand jury.... :rolleyes:

Does Yinz all think da defendant wanted to do anything but support da Penquins and do yinz think he rilly wanted to keel da guy from Roosha? I don't think so.

Does Yinz all think da defendant wanted to do anything but support da Penquins and do yinz think he rilly wanted to keel da guy from Roosha? I don't think so.

They should check out the Flyers message boards. Half of Philadelphia would be in jail.

If someone made a death threat to the President, they'd be arrested, charged, and found guilty in a heart beat. Our government would not care if it was a post on the internet.

As a side note, I do not think the 17 year old should be punished. Action is the only that should be punishable, not words.

Tell that to all the guys in prison who texted naughty words to adult male cops pretending to be 13 year old girls.

Thats pretty close. but you should substitute Da Gwins for penguins.

Hates crimes?

Finally out on probation, huh?

Nice empty-netter!

No seriously a lot of these guys you hear about are doing much more time than the guys who actually rape kids! It's crazy. Dateline NBC politicized this issue so much, the DAs around the country, who have to get elected after all, jumped right on it.

Nice empty-netter!

No seriously a lot of these guys you hear about are doing much more time than the guys who actually rape kids! It's crazy. Dateline NBC politicized this issue so much, the DAs around the country, who have to get elected after all, jumped right on it.

And then there's the whole idiotic sexting craze where kids are being given the lifetime sex offender label. The law has to catch up to technology eventually, but it does make you wonder about the people who have been and will continue to be screwed over until that happens.

As for the Pittsburgh kid, they really need to come up with some kind of "you're an idiot!" treatment to educate these people. Maybe they should be forced to read every single post over on TSW and then they'll be driven away from the internet.

Hates crimes?

Nope. You have to commit a separate offense first for it to be considered a hate crime. If that separate crime is deemed to have been done with regards to racial issues, etc., then the offender can also be charged with a hate crime on top of the initial charge.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate an online version of the PA penal code so I only have the NY code to work from, and there are no statutes in the NY penal code that allow a person to be charged for a crime related to threatening wordage. Only physical threats of physical violence are considered an offense; it's the same reason you can't attack someone physically out of self defense if they say to you "I'm going to kill you" without taking a step towards acting upon that threat. If this kid had threatened to kill Ovie and then went out and purchased a hand gun illegally, then you could charge him with a crime, because he has taken that step towards acting upon his threat.

The most that could be done is Ovechkin would have to file a suit in civil court for an order of protection. Beyond that you really can't pin anything on him.

Nope. You have to commit a separate offense first for it to be considered a hate crime. If that separate crime is deemed to have been done with regards to racial issues, etc., then the offender can also be charged with a hate crime on top of the initial charge.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate an online version of the PA penal code so I only have the NY code to work from, and there are no statutes in the NY penal code that allow a person to be charged for a crime related to threatening wordage. Only physical threats of physical violence are considered an offense; it's the same reason you can't attack someone physically out of self defense if they say to you "I'm going to kill you" without taking a step towards acting upon that threat. If this kid had threatened to kill Ovie and then went out and purchased a hand gun illegally, then you could charge him with a crime, because he has taken that step towards acting upon his threat.

The most that could be done is Ovechkin would have to file a suit in civil court for an order of protection. Beyond that you really can't pin anything on him.

I think they could charge him with terroristic threats, probably wouldn't stick. Usually you see a terroristic threats charge being brought when you have addition charges such as assault/battery etc.

Archived