Shero's moves in Pitt

X. Benedict

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/6/15/90958...ey-cup-champion

Incumbents (the nine pre-Shero acquisitions): Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, Sergei Gonchar, Kris Letang, Brooks Orpik, Maxime Talbot, Rob Scuderi, Tyler Kennedy

Other transactions (adding the other 13):

24-Jun-06 Drafted Jordan Staal second overall in the 2006 entry draft in Vancouver.

04-Jul-06 Named Andre Savard assistant coach; signed defenceman Mark Eaton, who had been with the Nashville Predators, to a two-year contract.

15-Jul-06 Named Chuck Fletcher assistant general manager and Ed Johnston senior advisor of hockey operations.

02-Jul-07 Signed right wing Petr Sykora, who had been with the Edmonton Oilers.

26-Feb-08 Acquired right wing Marian Hossa and left wing Pascal Dupuis from the Atlanta Thrashers for centres Erik Christensen and Angelo Esposito, right wing Colby Armstrong and a 2008 first-round pick; acquired defenceman Hal Gill from the Toronto Maple Leafs for a 2008 second-round pick and a 2009 fifth-round pick

04-Jul-08 Signed left wing Ruslan Fedotenko and right wing Miroslav Satan to one-year contracts

05-Jul-08 Signed left wing Matt Cooke to a two-year contract.

04-Aug-08 Named Dan Bylsma head coach of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

19-Nov-08 Acquired defenceman Philippe Boucher from the Dallas Stars for defenceman Darryl Sydor.

18-Jan-09 Acquired goaltender Mathieu Garon from the Edmonton Oilers for goaltender Dany Sabourin, centre Ryan Stone and a 2011 fourth-round pick.

15-Feb-09 Fired coach Michel Therrien; named Dan Bylsma as interim coach.

26-Feb-09 Acquired left wings Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for defenceman Ryan Whitney.

04-Mar-09 Claimed right wing Craig Adams off waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks; acquired centre Bill Guerin from the New York Islanders for a conditional draft pick.

28-Apr-09 Removed interim tag from Dan Bylsma's title and named him coach and agreed on a multi-year contract.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/6/15/90958...ey-cup-champion

Shero added 13 players to the core.....I'm wondering if this was exceptional GMing or was the core that good?

if you go back and look at the Pens drafts... geez loiuse...

Crosby- 1

Fluery - 1

Malkin - 2

Staal - 2

Whitney - 5 (now gone)

Orpik - 18

That's just insane. If you are bad enough, and you make the right selections, then you set yourself up to be able to "add the right guys" to your core of elite players.

What do we have?

Vanek - 5

Stafford - 13

the rest of our 1st rounders were crap or haven't yet contributed. And none of them, save Vanek, were in the top 5.

The Penguins just won the Stanley Cup in a final series where Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin scored two goals. This was more than two superstars carrying a team to the Cup. There must have been some seriously good support from down the roster and some seriously good coaching.

The Penguins just won the Stanley Cup in a final series where Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin scored two goals. This was more than two superstars carrying a team to the Cup. There must have been some seriously good support from down the roster and some seriously good coaching.

It's a lot like all of Drury's playoff goals with Colorado. The other team is too busy with the Sakics and Forsbergs of the roster. And Malkin still lead them in points in the series, so he was still producing.

It's a lot like all of Drury's playoff goals with Colorado. The other team is too busy with the Sakics and Forsbergs of the roster. And Malkin still lead them in points in the series, so he was still producing.

That third line in Pittsburgh is hard to shut out - if you are matching Pitts top lines.

And very much the same reason we were good for two years - Nobody had enough defensive guys to shut down 3 scoring lines.

And very much the same reason we were good for two years - Nobody had enough defensive guys to shut down 3 scoring lines.

Exactly. We don't have the quality in the top lines and the third. We can put together two decent lines, but not three.

How good of a team would we be right now if Vanek-Roy-Max (even the circa '06-07 versions) were still our third line because we have better players on our top two lines? Even if we manage to pick up another scoring-line left wing, our best third line now might be Hecht/MacArthur-Guastad-Kaleta.

LOL theres more new topics on Pittsburgh then their is for Buffalo. Jeez. Their not the first team to win the cup before the Sabres, and not the last either.

No, but it still gauls me that there are teams that came into the league well after Buffalo that have already won a Cup. Carolina? Please! Anaheim? WTF? Tampa Bay? I may be ill..... :bag:

^^ don't act like an idiot.... we have like 5 threads on the Pens. Def could have kept them within a few threads. Just 2 maybe. Not 5. Afterall, this is a Buffalo Sabres forum.

Just talking hockey. I thought some here might think it was interesting, after all by posting it here it is a commentary on the Sabres.

Just talking hockey. I thought some here might think it was interesting, after all by posting it here it is a commentary on the Sabres.

Don't get me wrong, and honestly, i didn't really mean to post it in your thread, i just had to pick a thread. City of champs, zigomanis, sid the kid and then this one, for a minute i thought i came to the wrong forum.... lol

I guess it's the fact everyone is praising Pittsburgh yet they were fighting for the 8th seed for a while with the Sabres. At the deadline i think they were like 10th place. They are far from perfect, but people starting to make it sound like they are gods team.

Exactly. We don't have the quality in the top lines and the third. We can put together two decent lines, but not three.

How good of a team would we be right now if Vanek-Roy-Max (even the circa '06-07 versions) were still our third line because we have better players on our top two lines? Even if we manage to pick up another scoring-line left wing, our best third line now might be Hecht/MacArthur-Guastad-Kaleta.

Correcto-mundo! Until the third line starts scoring and giving the other teams' coaches headaches, we're going to remain non-playoff contenders

Don't get me wrong, and honestly, i didn't really mean to post it in your thread, i just had to pick a thread. City of champs, zigomanis, sid the kid and then this one, for a minute i thought i came to the wrong forum.... lol

I guess it's the fact everyone is praising Pittsburgh yet they were fighting for the 8th seed for a while with the Sabres. At the deadline i think they were like 10th place. They are far from perfect, but people starting to make it sound like they are gods team.

difference is they made changes throughout the year to improve themselves, including at the deadline.

See:

19-Nov-08 Acquired defenceman Philippe Boucher from the Dallas Stars for defenceman Darryl Sydor.

18-Jan-09 Acquired goaltender Mathieu Garon from the Edmonton Oilers for goaltender Dany Sabourin, centre Ryan Stone and a 2011 fourth-round pick.

15-Feb-09 Fired coach Michel Therrien; named Dan Bylsma as interim coach.

26-Feb-09 Acquired left wings Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for defenceman Ryan Whitney.

04-Mar-09 Claimed right wing Craig Adams off waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks; acquired centre Bill Guerin from the New York Islanders for a conditional draft pick.

28-Apr-09 Removed interim tag from Dan Bylsma's title and named him coach and agreed on a multi-year contract.

they may not be perfect (though I'd argue they're about as close as it gets) but they're much much closer than Buffalo

That is why it is so important to look at them they were in the same spot. A few moves were made and they won a cup. Its not as hard as LQ and DR make it out to be. They gave Shero the $$ to make the moves with no one standing over his shoulder telling him yes or no.

That is why it is so important to look at them they were in the same spot. A few moves were made and they won a cup. Its not as hard as LQ and DR make it out to be. They gave Shero the $ to make the moves with no one standing over his shoulder telling him yes or no.

I think you're onto something. It's early, and my mind is still sharp, so I trust my judgment here. Plus, I just got my sponge bath and it has relaxed me to no end. This new PCA Troy is awesome!

Anyway... when we had the thread about what it would take for the Sabres to win a Cup, my thought was that it will take losing the small market mentality, the bottom-line-first focus. I think we're in the same ballpark here. It's going to take an attitude adjustment. The Sabres might talk the talk about the goal being to win a Cup, but I don't think they really believe their rhetoric. It's a comment for public consumption.

When the "brain trust" at the arena, starting with Golisano, decides it's going to win a Cup -- when something snaps in their fat, ego-swollen heads, when they realize they might be a few million short on their deathbeds but it won't matter because they will have given a gift to Buffalo that never will be forgotten, they will be LEGEND -- we'll be in better shape to do it. The task will still seem hard.

I'm sure a lot of people reading this will understand the idea of some impossible goal in life, an unfinished task, a personal Achilles Heel that held you back for years. And then you just slayed it. Quitting smoking maybe. Or drinking. Facing a personal demon of some sort. And when it was done, you asked yourself, why did that take 19 years to do?

Maybe when TG is playing "tennis" with The Grunter, he'll have an MI, fend off the Stu Grimson and decide what he wants on his tombstone is STANLEY CUP OWNER and not DISCOUNTHEADSTONES.COM.

That is why it is so important to look at them they were in the same spot. A few moves were made and they won a cup. Its not as hard as LQ and DR make it out to be. They gave Shero the $$ to make the moves with no one standing over his shoulder telling him yes or no.

Seriously? :blink:

I looked through that listed of acquisitions... who the hell are they again?

If they were contributors, it is because they were cogs in a machine that featured 87, 71, 11, and 1. You honestly think Guerin and Kunitz makes us cup contenders?

We are missing the high end talent, not the cogs...

If they were contributors, it is because they were cogs in a machine that featured 87, 71, 11, and 1. You honestly think Guerin and Kunitz makes us cup contenders?

I'm with you on this one. Futility built that team..

Even Edmonton in the Dynasty found core players after the second round.

Messier, Kurri, Anderson...

I can't think of a team with a more fortuitous high draft history than the Pens this decade.

I'm with you on this one.

Correct.

Fedatanko for one was a very important piece in the cup run. You conviently left him out. <_< as you also left out Adams, Gill and Cooke.

Once again you show what facts support your argument while leaving out the ones that don't.

Are you really telling me that Guerin didn't make the Pens a much improved team?

I'm with you on this one. Futility built that team..

Even Edmonton in the Dynasty found core players after the second round.

Messier, Kurri, Anderson...

I can't think of a team with a more fortuitous high draft history than the Pens this decade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have Fleury in the minors the year he was drafted (2003) because they "didn't want/couldn't afford" to pay him while the team floundered? The next year they get Malkin with the second pick. The following year then win the lottery and get Crosby. That's 1-2-1 in successive years with the 2 being the year that Ovechkin AND Malkin were available. It's almost unfair...

Archived