You're Darcy Regier, It's The Offseason...

sabreskings3623

Well, what players would you trade(and for who)? What free-agents would you pursue? Who would you draft at #13 overall in the 2009 NHL Entry draft, or do you trade up? What current Sabres do you re-sign?

Trades

- Jochen Hecht to WSH for a 2009 4th Rounder

- Henrik Tallinder to ATL for a 2009 5th Rounder

- RW Jason Pominville, LW Daniel Paille, 2010 1st to OTT for L/RW Dany Heatley

Free-Agency Signings(Who I'd target, not saying I'd sign them all)

- D Marc-Andre Bergeron(3 Years/$2.2 mil per)(Puck mover, wicked slapshot, can hit hard, replaces Spacek)

- LW Travis Moen(2 Years/$1.1 mil per)(Gritty winger, who fights, hits, and PKs)

- D Kurtis Foster(2 Years/$1.6 mil per)

- RW/C Nik Antropov(3 Years/$2.3 mil per)

- D Francios Beauchamin(3 Years/$3.1 per)

- D Rob Scuderi(2 Years/$1.8 per)

- RW Mike Knuble(1 Year/$1.8 per)(Leadership, still good for 20+ goals)

* Players in bold are most realistic options.

2009/2010 Sabres

Vanek-Connolly-Heatley

Knuble-Roy-Stafford

Kennedy-Gaustad-Kaleta

Moen-Mair/Gerbe-Mancari

Butler-Rivet

Bergeron-Myers

Sekera-Lydman

Miller

Lalime

I really like what you did with the team. The first two lines are very formidable.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres take a strong run at Heatley. Sadly, I don't see that in the cards though.

Knuble and Bergeron would be two very wise and realistic pick ups.

I really like what you did with the team. The first two lines are very formidable.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres take a strong run at Heatley. Sadly, I don't see that in the cards though.

Knuble and Bergeron would be two very wise and realistic pick ups.

Thanks. While I doubt the Sabres take a run at Heatley, and I doubt the Senators would even talk trade with the Sabres, especially about a player like Heatley, we should at least try.

No doubt.

The thought of a Vanek / Connolly / Heatley line makes me drool. Two certified 40-50 goal scoring snipers with an elite playmaker in the middle. It would be a fearsome line.

Heatley would be a substantial step up from Pommers; he's bigger, faster and an elite goal scorer. I love Pommer's character and work ethic, but I'd be more than willing to surrender him to Ottawa for an elite player like Dany Heatley.

As far as the other lines you proposed:

I really like the 2nd line. Knuble / Roy / Stafford is an excellent mix of size, speed and skill. Knuble is a big, gritty guy and would be able to open up many opportunities for Roy and Stafford. His presence in front of the net would be undeniable. Also, as you said, he's got veteran leadership, something this team desperately needs.

Im not entirely sure about the 3rd or 4th lines though. Im not sold that Mancari's feet are fast enough for the NHL. I'd like to see the Sabres keep Ellis, and possibly even utilize Paetsch as a winger in the 4th line. I felt in the final games of the seasons, Paetsch and Ellis injected a ton of energy into the lineup. Those are two very, very hungry players. I'd be weary of utilizing too many of our younger AHL level players in the 3rd or 4th line; the 3rd and 4th lines shouldn't be lesser scoring lines, they should be grind lines. Id rather have older veterans willing to hit, block shots and go to the net than young unproven players.

The thought of a Vanek / Connolly / Heatley line makes me drool.

Just don't let Heatley drive!

Regier is going to do what he does best. Nothing. He is going to sit back while the other teams in the division get stronger and than have a press conference complaining how the free agent market is out of whack and follow up with the same old excuses.

The Sabre game plan is in place and will remain as status quo is still in place. The Sabres will do as little as possible and try to sell the same overvalued "home grown" talent to the fans.

Yup, more than likely.

But a guy can dream cant he? :thumbsup:

Damn. Dany Heatley. A 40-50 goal scorer, signed long term contract with an annual cap hit of 7.5 mill per season. He's legit.

I would hate Heatley as a Sabres much like I hate Lynch as a Bill.

Tough crowd around here in the off season. I would love to have Heatley. I don't care if the player is a pedofile as long as he can play hockey. I want a cup. Lets get one before we start bitching and moaning about who we want or don't want on the team based on their personal lives.

no disrespect sabresking, but I think it goes a tad too far into fantasy land when you go so far as to select not only the players to be traded, but the trading PARTNERS is laughable and truly make believe.

That being said, I would let Afinogenov walk. Tallinder wants out so I would try to trade him for something. Numminen will probably not be brought back or will retire. I would actually let go of Lalime and if his attitude is right, bring back Biron as #2 behind Miller.

I'm not as sour on Hecht as alot are on this site, as before Quinn got his claws on the roster he was on the #1 line of a Stanley Cup Divisional Finals team (alas, I still mourn for Briere and DuMont). Since the roster has been pruned of the best fruits, Hecht has noticeable suffered. I like his two-way play and intangibles too much.

Besides that, I can't say too much as to who I would like or who I would not. Given the Sabres recent track record of not paying for talent, I could not see someone like Heatley or any other Tier 1 free agent (Bouwmeester, etc) in Buffalo. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as I believe that this is truly an offseason of opportunity for the Sabres if they are PROACTIVE and not REACTIVE as they have been for the past 2-3 offseasons.

Teams like San Jose have openly exposed their roster after their exit from this years playoffs as up for trade. Some real good, big bangers who can score over there.

Eric Cole is interesting.

Chicago and Philly are cash strapped, and may have some young talent that is just emerging for the taking.

Other than that, I have no idea.

I would say that need to get rid of 2-3 really mediocre guys who have grown stale, and get the right 5 bigger, tougher TALENTED dudes spread around on D and on offense and they should be in the playoffs again.

Who those guys are and where we get them from? I am too unfamiliar with everyone else's roster to know.

But I can point to the successful clubs (like Detroit or Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and San Jose), and say 'I want 1 of those for the Sabres!'.

Biron's not going to settle for backup money.

Hecht is a mystery to me. Just seemed to lose his entire nose for the puck overnight.

I always questioned the broken hand a bit. But then again, if that was a major issue, I would've expected to hear about some post-season surgery by this point.

Archived