You're Darcy Regier, It's The Offseason...

sabreskings3623

Making $7.5 million a year and complaining about it after killing someone is punishment? Why have I not suffered this kind of punishment? I haven't even killed anybody, either. Honestly, I couldn't care less whether he played for Ottawa, Atlanta, Los Angeles, or anywhere else. The fact is he killed a man driving wrecklessly and is making $7.5 million a year. He knew what he was doing, whether it was an accident or not or whether it was his friend or not. Call me old fashioned, but I think if you kill a person not in self defense, you should go to jail. The Craig MacTavish and Heatley comparison was kind of a joke, I wasn't actually being too serious about it. Either way, I still don't think a guilty conscience is punishment.

He plead guilty to the charges and was sentenced to probation. But the big thing is that Snyder's family has forgiven him and that's where the whole thing should end. Searching around a bit, I'm seeing stories that say they asked for leniency in his sentencing. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, he was punished enough. Let's not forget that Snyder was in the car too and is also somewhat at fault here.

Darcy has a lot of work to do this off season if the team is going to improve to make the playoffs.If i had control the team would completely be reshaped.

Starting wth defense tallinder, numminen, and paestch would all be gone. Numminen will most likely retire or testthe free agent waters. Tallinder wants out supposedlyand ruff has lost all confideceand patience with him. I think tallinder could be used as some good trade bait to allow buffalo to add a gritty winger to the team. I was thinking a guy such a travis moen, or helm from detroit. Paestch is just lost in the shuffle, he can play decent at wing but doesn't have a scoring touch and at defense he is nowhere near physical enough. The key would be resigning jaro spacek, which i would offer a three year 10MM deal to him. if he accepts then great, but if he decides to leave i would try to acquire the services of kronwall or bergereon, as both are young and skilled players. ideally my defensive line up would look like this next year. Trying to acquire Boumeister is just not gonna happen as he will get around 6 million a season wherever he signs.

Rivet/Butler

Spacek/Sekera Kronwall/Sekera Bergeron/Sekera

Lydman/Weber

At goalie we are pretty much set,except i would look to replace lalime, a guy like ty conklin or manny legacy would be a solid back up choice. A draft pick and minor leaguer would probably acquire one of these two guys.

On the offensive end there is a lot of questions. The core guys like vanek, pominville, roy, connolly are safe in my book. Max is the first guy i look to get rid of. He doesn't have much trade value so possibly trading him for a late 4th or 5th round pick would probably be a good acquistion. I would definitely like to resign stafford and kaleta to long term deals. kaleta will be an effective 4th liner who has the ability to score 5-7 goals a season. and stafford showed he has the scoring touch but also showed how inconsistent he can be. I would kaleta a 3 year 4.5MM contact and stafford a 3 year 6.5MM contract. Hecht is not safe at all as i would use him for trade material, i would try to possibly work a trade of hecht, mair, macarthur for jp Dumont. this way we add another scorer withn a decent contract that we could afford to pay. Andrew peters aka watse of space is gone and mancari is called up to play on the 4th line. I think gerbe is a imminent call up and would fit in well on the third line.I forgot to mention the re signing of dominic moore, i think he has a lot of upside and great passion for the game. He can also have a scorers touch with some grit as well 2 year/ 4.5MM contact

Here are the lines i see next season

Vanek/Connolly/Pominville

Dumont/Roy/Stafford

Gerbe/ Moore/Gaustad

Mancari/Ellis/Kaleta

Lets face t the sabres can't afford superstars right now because of some bad contacts we have on the team. Playerslke roy and pomnville had a bad 08-09 campaign but i see themselves redeeming themselves this year. i still think roy is a 90 pt guy is heplays consistently which he didn't do last season. Pomiville is a gritty playmaker, but the scoring touch will come aroud again i think he'sgood for 25 goals and 50 assists next year. The guy that is thekey is tim connolly if he stays healthy and plays in at least 70 games he could rack up to 95 pts this guy is a star! Vanke could and should crack 50 goals. if guys like gerbe and moore could add 15 goals and 30 assists it would be a great year for them. Consistent play is what the team needs and this roster could provide it

Well Ek must have read your post he just bumped this to an E3

Lmao, he reads many of my posts on other forums too, and then boom, some of the stuff I proposed is magically on Hockeybuzz. While I know Darcy Regier will not make a trade like that for Heatley, it's what I would do. And, I did forget about re-signing Ellis in my OP.

I'm not too sure about what Darcy should do in the free agent market or trades. I think he needs to be active on draft weekend. I think there are teams who would like a guy like Hecht or Tallinder, guys who have experience and do have the talent but just wasn't used last season. If we can unload those contracts somehow, even for mid-round picks, i think Sabres will be able to package a prospect or some current guys for a good player.

But i'm more concerned with the draft right now. I'm still really torn between Zach Kassian or Ryan Ellis. I'm not sure who could be better long term. Kassian would be great if he does turn into a Lucic type player, but Ellis, i mean, a smart, defensivly sound Brian Campbell would be great too... i mean the defense for the future would be pretty unreal with Myers, Butler, Ellis, Sekera and Weber for years to come. If both are on the board, i don't know who i'd want. Kassian is the obvious pick because of the much needed grit, but we need grit now, and well, Kassian won't have much impact for 2 maybe 3 years. Not saying Ellis would but maybe getting grit in the market makes more sense then drafting grit over a guy like Ellis.

A guy who i am starting to love in this draft is Chris Kreider. He's been a early 2nd/late 1st round guy for a while but he's been climbing the draft board. He's a hard working American kid. Skating wise he's one of the best in this draft. He plays a hard hitting game as well. Best comparison i found for Kreider is a Corey Perry from the Ducks. If the guy who Sabres want at #13 isn't there, i hope we can trade down a bit and pick him up. He's committed to Boston College.

Archived