94% renewal of season tickets

Two or less

Cheering for a team isn't the same as dropping a couple grand on a sub-par product.

Just because I'm a fan of American cars doesn't mean I would be inclined to buy a new one at the moment.

I fail to see what the Sabres have done so far this off season to earn that money. 94% renewal? Why should management even worry about fielding a better team this year, they've already made their money.

I half expect LQ to come out when it hits 95% and say "well, we've completed the rest of our top to bottom review."

If the Sabres were as good as your new favorites Blackhawks, or a team like Detroit, where they are consistantly good and have talent everywhere, our management would raise tickets way up. And then people would complain.

If Sabres drew 12k people per game and rumors started floating of the team moving or whatever, we'd complain about the lack of a fan base.

When we pack our arena, people complain and call our fans stupid.

It's just madness if you ask me. Maybe majority of the fans are not stupid, but a minority of the fans, are?

And shrader is right on. Teams like Pittsburgh and Hawks, went to hell and back. They had much more bad times then we had. If Sabres ever got as bad as those teams, a few of the people on this message forum wouldn't be around anymore. Just a fact of life.

Why not? It works for a lot of franchises, several of which are making strong runs at the Cup as we speak.

I'm sure we can point out just as many teams that never bounce back, or at least take a very long time. The long term sucking is a sign of major problems beyond just having a low level of talent. It shouldn't take 10 years to rebuild a team like it did in Chicago.

Why not? It works for a lot of franchises, several of which are making strong runs at the Cup as we speak.

I'm not sure how this happened, maybe it's the lack of sleep lately, but I agree with you. I envy some of the teams that bottomed out and ended up with some really great players as a result. The Sabres haven't been at rock bottom since 02-03. They couldn't even bottom out long enough to build teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago have.

I'm not sure how this happened, maybe it's the lack of sleep lately, but I agree with you. I envy some of the teams that bottomed out and ended up with some really great players as a result. The Sabres haven't been at rock bottom since 02-03. They couldn't even bottom out long enough to build teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago have.

we suck so bad we can't even succeed at failing. :ph34r:

I understand the point you're making. But i think it's easier to look back and say "man, last 7 years really resulted in nothing, wish we hit rock bottom and had some high picks" then looking forward into the future and saying "i wouldn't mind next 4-5 years being bottom loser and getting high picks. Being at the bottom doesn't always mean results. Many teams who had top picks failed to make the right choices... Atlanta comes to mind (Stefan among others), NYR (Lundmark, Brendl, Jussiman) and the LA Kings, who have build a great offense in the previous 5-6 years, but their goalies and defense has been a joke until recently where they have put a lot of effort on defense.

We "bottomed out" yet never drafted any higher than 5th overall. Again, the team could've fallen further. As for Pittsburgh, they just happened to suck at just the right time... twice! How many teams can say that? They were able to be the worst in the season leading up to Mario Lemieux's entrance into the draft and another that featured Ovechkin and Malkin. Not only that, then the fact that they didn't quite suck enough to get the first overall pick in any year, except the year they "lost" the lottery for in the Ovechkin-Malkin draft, leads to them winning the Crosby lottery. Pure luck.

My tickets are in the 300's. I'm not sure I would move down, was on a list for them and turned them down once I sat there. I can see the whole game, the play develop, yell my ass off without someone getting annoyed, start chants, much more fun than sitting with the stiff shirts in the 100's or 200's. (Most of those it seems are owned or given away by business people).

As for the cost, meh, tix are $28 or so a seat, $1,128 a year, payable in three installments during the summer. I sell 4-5 games and make half that money back. If you split with someone you'll see about 3 games a month for $500.

As for the no shows last year, I'd say it's the "Why go there and spend another $100 on beer, food, etc to watch"?

I was talking with some guys at the last game who had tickets for like 25 years. One of the three wasn't renewing. He said it was a decision based on getting bored than not liking the Sabres. I'd imagine after 25 years and no Cup things do get boring.

I'd expect a big part of the high renewal rate is the variable ticket pricing. That and the way how the internet makes it very easy to sell tix. You can sell tix to TO at ~50% of face value and still make some serious cake. I'd expect that there are a lot of people like Dwight Drane that buy the tix to make money off them.

Though I'm not one who holds tix to make money off them, I'm still kicking myself for not buying an extra pair in the front row behind the glass back in '05. That would easily have paid for my current tix for several seasons.

I really doubt I will ever get rid of my tix, nor do I expect to "upgrade". I've been in the same seat since the day the rink opened. The couple that have the pair to the right of mine have been there since the 2nd season. And since the lockout, the rest of the seats have been filled by "regulars" as well. Which is good, it used to get mildly annoying having fans cheering for the visitors sitting next to me. Although the last time a Loaf fan had the tix next to mine, it was a chick wearing a (short bus) helmet. That was entertaining. There's something not quite right when someone wears a helmet in the 300's.

Why do they do this?... Because BUFFALO LOVES HOCKEY! Every year Buffalo ranks in the top three in tv ratings for the SCFs(usually third, only behind the two teams' cities that are playing, but sometimes even beating them :blink: ). For the past two years, maybe more, we (I say we because even after 15 years I consider myself a Buffalonian and not a New Jersian) have led the ratings for the All Star game as well. I can't fault our love of hockey, but I can fault our(myself included) unfounded attachment to players and [cough]coaches.

I wish the same 94% would send in a big FU attached to their check. Being transplanted myself; I would usually pony up for ice level seats around the holidays or whenever I am in town. I didnt do it this season and dont plan on it next season either right now. Besides the crappy product, the after-market tickets available were way overpriced from the "season ticket-holders" gambling on selling seats to re-coupe. <_<

We "bottomed out" yet never drafted any higher than 5th overall. Again, the team could've fallen further. As for Pittsburgh, they just happened to suck at just the right time... twice! How many teams can say that? They were able to be the worst in the season leading up to Mario Lemieux's entrance into the draft and another that featured Ovechkin and Malkin. Not only that, then the fact that they didn't quite suck enough to get the first overall pick in any year, except the year they "lost" the lottery for in the Ovechkin-Malkin draft, leads to them winning the Crosby lottery. Pure luck.

If i'm not mistaken they also drafted Fleury with number 1 overall pick..ANd they were only a few points away from drafting Ovechkin instead of Malkin..There is something to be said about having a top pick for 3 yrs in a row..

If i'm not mistaken they also drafted Fleury with number 1 overall pick..ANd they were only a few points away from drafting Ovechkin instead of Malkin..There is something to be said about having a top pick for 3 yrs in a row..

They traded with Florida to get the 1st overall pick they used on Fleury. And they weren't a few points away from drafting Ovechkin. They finished dead last (and many suggested that they intentionally tanked it down the stretch) but Washington won the lottery that year, bumping them up over Pittsburgh to the top pick. I'd settle for that "consolation prize" anyday.

I probably should be careful what I wish for. Can you imagine Ruff coaching a Crosby or Ovechkin?

They traded with Florida to get the 1st overall pick they used on Fleury. And they weren't a few points away from drafting Ovechkin. They finished dead last (and many suggested that they intentionally tanked it down the stretch) but Washington won the lottery that year, bumping them up over Pittsburgh to the top pick. I'd settle for that "consolation prize" anyday.

They swapped the 3rd overall for the 1st I forgot.....Malkin as a consolation prize is just that a consolation prize..Can you imagine how good the Pens would be if they had Crosby and Ovechkin..LOL..My god they would be the modern day version of the Oilers of the 80's..Its just my opinion but I would take Ovechkin over Crosby any day..Not to mention any other player in hockey...The two of them would be unstoppable..

They swapped the 3rd overall for the 1st I forgot.....Malkin as a consolation prize is just that a consolation prize..Can you imagine how good the Pens would be if they had Crosby and Ovechkin..LOL..My god they would be the modern day version of the Oilers of the 80's..Its just my opinion but I would take Ovechkin over Crosby any day..Not to mention any other player in hockey...The two of them would be unstoppable..

They more than likely wouldn't have won the draft lottery for Crosby if they had wound up with Ovechkins first overall the year before. If they had picked first, they would've had one less ball in the draft lottery. Sure, they still could've won, but I doubt it.

And you know what? Now that I think of it, I'm just going to assume that we would've won the Crosby pick instead if Pittsburgh hadn't been "screwed" out of the Ovechkin pick. CONSPIRACY!

They more than likely wouldn't have won the draft lottery for Crosby if they had wound up with Ovechkins first overall the year before. If they had picked first, they would've had one less ball in the draft lottery. Sure, they still could've won, but I doubt it.

And you know what? Now that I think of it, I'm just going to assume that we would've won the Crosby pick instead if Pittsburgh hadn't been "screwed" out of the Ovechkin pick. CONSPIRACY!

I really thought we had a great shot of getting Crosby..I agree Conspiracy

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=lebrun_pierre

Very interesting. It's good for the Sabres. So much for all the people saying that their attendance will drop like a rock this season....

It may be good for the Sabres, it's not for the fans who are tired of this team missing the playoffs. The Sabres will spin these figures into the fans being behind the direction the team is on. Much like the Bills will do. All this will lead to is '2009-10 Team Status Quo'.

I renewed. I'm not an idiot. I like being at the game. I'm a fan. I know how hard it is to get tickets. You let those seats go and you have a long wait to get back in. Yeah, another year of poor hockey might change my mind, but for now, I'm renewed and hope the Sabres are too.

As a minipack holder, I have a little more flexibility than a season ticket holder, since I can pick and choose how many games I want to go to. When the team looks really bad, I can select as few as 5 games a year. During the winter though, it is one of the more exciting things to do for my entertainment dollar so I usually end up going to most weekend games that aren't gold or platinum priced. Two years ago, they stopped accepting new mini-pack holders so I feel really lucky to be in my situation and will probably never give up my mini-pack status as long as they keep the same ticket business model. Because I only go to a handful of games a year, I can afford to sit in the 100 level II area where the Sabres shoot twice. I really appreciate the fact that the Sabres don't have the entire building based on season tickets like in Toronto, and leave a few thousand for people like me to get the mini-pack which allows me the right to get playoff tickets ahead of those people who just buy single games. I have to say, even though we didn't make the finals in those two playoff years when we went to the conference finals, I couldn't have been more entertained or excited being in that building for those games. I felt like I got my money's worth. I did not go to the Cup games in '98 since my job situation was much different compared to a couple years after that, but I would be interested to know how fans feel about comparing the two playoff years in the mid-2000's to that year.

I do feel let down by upper management though since then, that they didn't have the foresight to keep that winning team together better and I only blame Tom/Larry and not Darcy because I believe it came down to not the policy of negotiating during the season and their lack of foresight in terms of knowing that the cap would go up and they would have to spend more money to keep their players. They have started spending lately, but it's almost like closing the barn door after the cows have left (or is it horses?)

Archived