[OT] CULTURE

Buffalo Fan

It seems like there are bad vibes coming from Buffalo Bills personel and coaches to players...I finally watched that interview that TO gave to Canadien TV, and I get the impression that people were selling him on the idea of greener pastures in Canada.

I have to say, that if I were in management, or (gasp) even ownership, I would demand that our culture, our talk, our behavior would be about BEING a Buffalo Bill...The same holds true for the Sabres...facts are facts regarding finances, but as long as we are here, everyone better be G- Damn positive about being here. Wishy washy-ness reduces everything...fan support, negotiating postion, respect, etc.

Damn-it people, we are still the B-U-F-F-A-L-O Bills and Sabres...NO ONE HAS LEFT YET! I'm sick of answering friends' questions about, "how do you feel about the Bills going to Toronto?"....F---, they haven't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is obviously the offseason, as no-one has posted in over 24 hours beside me, but man, I'm pissed!

So; what you think about Greek yogurt?

Did you notice how high in sugar many store bought yogurts are?

Greek yogurt could have set the benchmark for the future of the industry. The creaminess factor combined with Organic marketing is a deadly combination IMO. :thumbsup:

Other favorites I like are Dannons' fruit on the bottom and I used to like yoplait.

Greek yogurt could have set the benchmark for the future of the industry. The creaminess factor combined with Organic marketing is a deadly combination IMO. :thumbsup:

Other favorites I like are Dannons' fruit on the bottom and I used to like yoplait.

I don't care for fruit on the bottom yogurt at all. It gets all chunky.

Hey, how come boysenberry isn't really used for anything besides yogurt?

A better question is, why are loganberries only found in soda?

I don't think that's a better question at all. You just can't answer the boysenberry question, you yogurt poseur. This is an attempt at a cover-up.

I don't think that's a better question at all. You just can't answer the boysenberry question, you yogurt poseur. This is an attempt at a cover-up.

Okay, boysenberries are alot more prevelant on the west coast IMO. I believe most mass produced yogurts come from Minnesota dairy areas, could be the connection. I have not come across a tremendous amount of applications for the hybrid berry. In theory, the boysenberry can be used in pies, jellies and any other variable the the ordinary raspberry or blackberry is used.

Back to boysenberries in yogurt; it is quite possible that yogurt is only the mere vehicle to bring the boysenberry its 15 minutes of fame.

Okay, boysenberries are alot more prevelant on the west coast IMO. I believe most mass produced yogurts come from Minnesota dairy areas, could be the connection. I have not come across a tremendous amount of applications for the hybrid berry. In theory, the boysenberry can be used in pies, jellies and any other variable the the ordinary raspberry or blackberry is used.

Back to boysenberries in yogurt; it is quite possible that yogurt is only the mere vehicle to bring the boysenberry its 15 minutes of fame.

See, whaler, when you apply yourself, you can do anything. You even can explain the boysenberry. And, just 'cause I appreciate your efforts, I'll answer your loganberry question.

The loganberry didn't originally occur in nature; it's a hybrid. Basically (and if you watch the first Bill and Ted movie, you'll see what I mean), this guy named Ted "Theodore" Logan went back in time, to ancient Greece, where he talked to Socrates and grabbed a load of his bitter herbs and berries. Not satisfied with the taste, he sent those berries through space-time (via a phone booth) to his ascendant, one James Harvey Logan. THAT Logan fused a bunch of ancient Greek herbs and, especially, berries, into the loganberry that you know today. (James Harvey Logan is not nearly as famous as his descendant, but he does have a wikipedia page. Actually, so do I, so I guess that's not saying much.)

So, anyway, after Ted "Theodore" Logan beamed that berry back to the 1880s, his great-great-whatever-uncle James shipped it to the Niagara Frontier, via George Carlin, who was in charge of the aforementioned phone booth, and who actually was a courier in the 1880s. (This explains why, even at age 40, Carlin looked like he was 80. You try bringing loganberries across a continent.)

Loganberries were used as a foodstuff for a short time, but they do have mild diarrheic effects, known as "Logan's Runs." As a result, people who wanted to live past the age of 30 avoided foods that contained the berry. Two Canadian brothers, however, were able to discover a beverage use for the loganberry. And that's the soft drink that we know today.

See, whaler, when you apply yourself, you can do anything. You even can explain the boysenberry. And, just 'cause I appreciate your efforts, I'll answer your loganberry question.

The loganberry didn't originally occur in nature; it's a hybrid. Basically (and if you watch the first Bill and Ted movie, you'll see what I mean), this guy named Ted "Theodore" Logan went back in time, to ancient Greece, where he talked to Socrates and grabbed a load of his bitter herbs and berries. Not satisfied with the taste, he sent those berries through space-time (via a phone booth) to his ascendant, one James Harvey Logan. THAT Logan fused a bunch of ancient Greek herbs and, especially, berries, into the loganberry that you know today. (James Harvey Logan is not nearly as famous as his descendant, but he does have a wikipedia page. Actually, so do I, so I guess that's not saying much.)

So, anyway, after Ted "Theodore" Logan beamed that berry back to the 1880s, his great-great-whatever-uncle James shipped it to the Niagara Frontier, via George Carlin, who was in charge of the aforementioned phone booth, and who actually was a courier in the 1880s. (This explains why, even at age 40, Carlin looked like he was 80. You try bringing loganberries across a continent.)

Loganberries were used as a foodstuff for a short time, but they do have mild diarrheic effects, known as "Logan's Runs." As a result, people who wanted to live past the age of 30 avoided foods that contained the berry. Two Canadian brothers, however, were able to discover a beverage use for the loganberry. And that's the soft drink that we know today.

To answer my own question, I couldve just looked it up :wallbash: but thanks for the yarn :thumbsup: Not sure where you pulled half of that info, balderdash!!!

FYI, I am blaming you for hijacking the thread.

Uses

Loganberries may be eaten without preparation as well as used as an ingredient in jams, pies, crumbles, fruit syrups and country wines. Loganberries, in common with other blackberry/raspberry hybrids, can be used interchangeably with raspberries or blackberries in most recipes. English Sherry Trifle are best with Loganberries, as their juice (or syrup in case of tinned berries) combines well with the Sherry wine.

A use common to Southern Ontario, Canada, and Western New York, USA, is Loganberry Juice. While the Loganberry is primarily harvested in the Western United States, growers there were unaware that a niche market existed for a Loganberry-derived drink to the east. According to local lore, the loganberry drink was developed by entrepreneurs in the late 1800s at Crystal Beach, a local summertime resort, and one time amusement park, in Southern Ontario. The drink continued to be served at the amusement park and is still produced there. The most popular commercial version is 'Aunt Rosie's', which is commonly enjoyed in Western New York. 'Aunt Rosie's' is distributed by the local Pepsi-Cola bottling operation out of Buffalo, and is found in local restaurants and establishments. A smaller, more local version of Loganberry juice is available to locals in New York's Capital District, under the name of PJ's Crystal Beach Loganberry Juice, available in Sparkling and Diet. Loganberries may also be purchased in their syrup form in local supermarkets for use at home. Loganberry is now offered at Mighty Taco fast food restaurants in Western New York by Johnnie Ryan Beverages [1], a local pop maker from Niagara Falls, NY. They use only pure cane sugar in contrast to high fructose corn syrup which is typically found as a sweetener in most pop or soda.

At the end of the day, I think boysenberries (Pacific NW) and loganberries (California) are the same thing!!!!

Boysenberry is one of the six different syrups they bring you at IHOP.

THIS is what I was looking for. A good effort. Some mucking and grinding in the corners. Diving in front of a 60-foot slapper. The stuff that makes the difference between winning and losing. Team Strike Force, you are like the Jim Schoenfeld of berries and syrups; truly an example for all of us to follow.

"Logan's Runs"

:lol:

I miss Crystal Beach. Before it came in fancy cans, that was the only place I knew of where you could get Loganberry. Running down the sides of one of those mixing bins that you knew had a dirty sock sitting on the bottom, but you just didn't care, because where else were you going to go to get Loganberry.

Boysenberry is one of the six different syrups they bring you at IHOP.

Anyone ever been to an Elmers restaurant on the west coast? They had an awesome German pancake with powdered sugar and lemon, kinda like a funnel cake for breakfast.

They didnt have the boysenberries on the menu, but did have theMarionberry. Check out the Marionberry pedigree section (rubus ameniacus)

Anyone ever been to an Elmers restaurant on the west coast? They had an awesome German pancake with powdered sugar and lemon, kinda like a funnel cake for breakfast.

They didnt have the boysenberries on the menu, but did have theMarionberry. Check out the Marionberry pedigree section (rubus ameniacus)

Don't forget about the Marionbarry as well. It's mostly found in hotel rooms alongside piles of crack cocaine.

Archived