Should The Sabres Make a UFA Splash This Summer?

VansTheMans

Should The Sabres Sign a Big UFA?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Sign a Big UFA?

• Yes - Offense
    • Yes - Defense
    • No - Sabres Should Pursue Trades To Better The Team
    • No - Leave Roster Intact One More Season

Having failed to make the playoffs two seasons in a row, are the Sabres due for a new injection of top tier talent?

This poll isn't so much to discuss WILL the Sabres sign a big name UFA (as there is most likely a slim chance it will happen under current ownership), but rather SHOULD they go after a big name UFA. This poll also assumes that cap space would be cleared to bring in a big name UFA.

Are big name UFA's typically worth investing in? Do most teams find success in their signings, or regret?

If you believe the Sabres should look into signing a UFA this summer, what position is needed most? A defenseman or forward?

Any names in particular? What current Sabres would you be willing to trade away to make room for the expected salary of the UFA?

If you voted NO, why do you feel this way? Should the Sabres avoid big name signings and instead focus on mid level trades to better themselves? Or should the roster remain largely untouched for another go?

I'd just like to see the pulse of the board regarding this possibility.

I didn't vote because I don't think Regier knows how to make a "splash". To make a splash we need to have a GM that knows the meaning of agression. Regier's M.O. is to sit back and let deals fall to him. When they don't, he comes out with that bewildered look talking about he was shocked at the direction the market took.

Status Quo is the game plan. Another year without playoffs will be the results.

I believe the Sabres should begin to focus on their defense; start from the back end, and work their way out. We have an All-Star goalie in Ryan Miller. The next step in rebuilding the team should be refocusing the defense. They should do this by both a large UFA signing and through various crafty trades.

Ive begun to really contemplate signing Jay Bouwmeester (if Florida fails to retain him). He has the potential to be a true Norris caliber defenseman, and is only 24 years old. He's fast, smart with the puck and would be an excellent breakout dman for the team. He is a power play quarterback, but isn't a slouch in terms of his defensive capabilities: at 6-4 and 212lbs, he's a force to reckon with on the ice. If the Sabres were looking to reorganize their defense corps, this is one opportunity they should really explore. If he could be had for the 6 million dollar range, he may be worth signing to an extensive long term deal.

To make room for Bouwmeester, Id like to see the Sabres deal Connolly to Columbus for Rostislav Klelsa. Klesla has one year and 2.25 million left on his contract. This trade would bring a true bruiser to the Buffalo blue line, and hopefully provide greater protection for Miller. At 6-3 and 220 pounds, he could clear the front of the net. This trade would also save the Sabres 2.25 million dollars a year in salary space (Connolly's 4.5 minus Klesla's 2.25). Columbus expressed great interest in Connolly near the trade deadline, as they've been dreaming of a playmaking center to pair with Rick Nash. This trade would remove a finesse player from the offense, shake up the locker room(break up the "brat pack") and provide a monstrous dman at the blue line.

To continue reworking the defense corp, the Sabres should look into trading Tallinder. As we've all witnessed this season, he is past his prime here in Buffalo and is practically begging to be traded. I believe Tallinder still has a good deal of trade value as a top four dman. To make up for the departure of TC at center, the Sabres need to look into packaging Tallinder and another forward to obtain a capable center. Packaging Tallinder with tantalizing trade bait Drew Stafford would allow the Sabres to obtain a pretty damned good replacement for TC. The true question is what player should the Sabres attempt to get via trade? It wouldn't be an all-star, nor a highly paid player (something the Sabres could not afford after signing Bouwmeester). A young player on the cusp, or a veteran that could be had for cheap would be the most viable option. Vancouver's Ryan Kesler would be a good option. He wouldn't bring any sort of veteran leadership to the table (something I think the offense desperately needs), but he is a gritty playmaking center on the cusp of breaking out. Perhaps Daymond Langkow from Calgary is a viable option? Im not sure who the Sabres should go after; Darcy would need to work his magic in this one, but I'm confident that Tallinder and Stafford would fetch a sizable return.

So, by signing Bouwmeester and trading TC for Klesla, I believe the Sabres' defense would be greatly improved.

Tallinder would be dealt with a forward (Stafford, MacArthur, or Hecht) to fetch a decent center.

Our Defense would then look like this:

Bouwmeester

Rivet

Klesla

Lydman

Butler

Sekera

Paetsch

Weber

It'd be nice if in a few years Myers matured and full filled our expectations. Could you imagine both Myers and Bouwmeester on the same roster? :thumbsup: It'd be a sight to see.

I didn't vote because I don't think Regier knows how to make a "splash". To make a splash we need to have a GM that knows the meaning of agression. Regier's M.O. is to sit back and let deals fall to him. When they don't, he comes out with that bewildered look talking about he was shocked at the direction the market took.

Yes, but do you think they SHOULD make a "splash"?

I believe the Sabres should begin to focus on their defense; start from the back end, and work their way out. We have an All-Star goalie in Ryan Miller. The next step in rebuilding the team should be refocusing the defense. They should do this by both a large UFA signing and through various crafty trades.

Ive begun to really contemplate signing Jay Bouwmeester (if Florida fails to retain him). He has the potential to be a true Norris caliber defenseman, and is only 24 years old. He's fast, smart with the puck and would be an excellent breakout dman for the team. He is a power play quarterback, but isn't a slouch in terms of his defensive capabilities: at 6-4 and 212lbs, he's a force to reckon with on the ice. If the Sabres were looking to reorganize their defense corps, this is one opportunity they should really explore. If he could be had for the 6 million dollar range, he may be worth signing to an extensive long term deal.

To make room for Bouwmeester, Id like to see the Sabres deal Connolly to Columbus for Rostislav Klelsa. Klesla has one year and 2.25 million left on his contract. This trade would bring a true bruiser to the Buffalo blue line, and hopefully provide greater protection for Miller. At 6-3 and 220 pounds, he could clear the front of the net. This trade would also save the Sabres 2.25 million dollars a year in salary space (Connolly's 4.5 minus Klesla's 2.25). Columbus expressed great interest in Connolly near the trade deadline, as they've been dreaming of a playmaking center to pair with Rick Nash. This trade would remove a finesse player from the offense, shake up the locker room(break up the "brat pack") and provide a monstrous dman at the blue line.

To continue reworking the defense corp, the Sabres should look into trading Tallinder. As we've all witnessed this season, he is past his prime here in Buffalo and is practically begging to be traded. I believe Tallinder still has a good deal of trade value as a top four dman. To make up for the departure of TC at center, the Sabres need to look into packaging Tallinder and another forward to obtain a capable center. Packaging Tallinder with tantalizing trade bait Drew Stafford would allow the Sabres to obtain a pretty damned good replacement for TC. The true question is what player should the Sabres attempt to get via trade? It wouldn't be an all-star, nor a highly paid player (something the Sabres could not afford after signing Bouwmeester). A young player on the cusp, or a veteran that could be had for cheap would be the most viable option. Vancouver's Ryan Kesler would be a good option. He wouldn't bring any sort of veteran leadership to the table (something I think the offense desperately needs), but he is a gritty playmaking center on the cusp of breaking out. Perhaps Daymond Langkow from Calgary is a viable option? Im not sure who the Sabres should go after; Darcy would need to work his magic in this one, but I'm confident that Tallinder and Stafford would fetch a sizable return.

So, by signing Bouwmeester and trading TC for Klesla, I believe the Sabres' defense would be greatly improved.

Tallinder would be dealt with a forward (Stafford, MacArthur, or Hecht) to fetch a decent center.

Bouwmeester

Rivet

Klesla

Lydman

Butler

Sekera

Paetsch

Weber

It'd be nice if in a few years Myers matured and full filled our expectations. Could you imagine both Myers and Bouwmeester on the same roster? :thumbsup: It'd be a sight to see.

That post was longer than the Sabres "thorough evaluation". There was definitely more care and thought put into it. :wallbash:

Sign Dominic Moore!!!!!! :thumbsup:

/sarcasm off:

IF we could trade Jochen Hecht why wouldn't you sign Dominic Moore? First, I'll point out that I think the chances of takers on Hecht would be slim to none. However, if you could Moore brings the same style play that Hecht does. He's even an upgrade from Hecht at center because he will win faceoffs. Besides, if Moore was asking for around $2 million per year from the leafs he would be cheaper in comparison to Hecht's $3.5 million/year.

Unfortunately, I think we are stuck with Hecht. If we could find any team in the league that would take on his contract, I would ship him out immediately for picks. Massive salary dump.

However, if we are unable to trade him, it wouldn't be the end of the world. He may bounce back next season and provide a solid 50 point season.

I didn't pick an answer because I think we have to make some trades, but also dabble in free agency. No huge signings, but find a cagey veteran or two, and maybe some young muscle on D. We definitely need to ship out some finesse but not all of it.

I want a team more like Columbus, who is giving it all they have against Detroit. But with some of the scoring talent we have. Keep a few of our finesse guys around, but ship out the extra and get some more grinders with heart, and we have the heart Columbus has but with some scoring upside. That to me, would be ideal.

Bouwmeester

Rivet

Klesla

Lydman

Butler

Sekera

Paetsch

Weber

Just ran the numbers on my proposal:

The total cap hit for an entire team built around what I described above would be just above 56 million dollars.

Here is the breakdown of actual numbers of the team I proposed above (nhlnumbers.com). RFA's + trade acquisitions/UFA I indicate in bold, and give a prediction on their renewed signing cost:

Offense

Vanek 6.4

Roy 3.5

Hecht 3.8

Goose 2.5

Paille 1.35

Pommers 4.5

Mair .775

Kaleta .775 (Currently Kaleta makes .500, I assume he gets a modest bump up to .775)

Ellis .500 (Currently Ellis makes .475. If he remains on the team, I assume he gets a modest bump to .500)

MacArthur 1.0 (Currently makes .5, modest bump to 1.0. Similar to Paille).

Gerbe .85

Kennedy .635

Paetsch 1.0 (make him a regular forward instead of dman)

Kesler 1.75 (Obtained from Tallinder + Stafford trade)

So for 14 forwards, you'd be looking at: 29.33 for an offense. This assumes Peters, Moore and Maxi walk. This also assumes we trade Connolly + Stafford for Ryan Kesler.

Lines: Organize the Sabres into two scoring lines, two grind lines.

Vanek Roy Gerbe

Hecht Kesler Pommers

Paille Goose Kaleta

Mair Ellis Paetsch (inject him as a forward)

Kennedy + MacArthur as scratches.

Defense

Bouwmeester 6.5 (I would assume 6.5 for 6+ years would lock Jay up in the free agency)

Klesla 2.25

Rivet 3.5

Lydman 3.150

Sekera 1.5 (Currently makes .659, I assume a modest bump up to 1.5 next season, with his pay increasing a bit each year under a staggered contract)

Butler .5

Weber .5

Gragnani .564

8 Defensemen for 18.264 million. This assumes that Spacek walks, we trade Tallinder with Stafford, and that Teppo retires.

Lines:

Bouwmeester/Lydman

Klesla/Sekera

Rivet/Butler

Weber as scratch.

Goalies

Miller 6.25

Lalime 1.0

Enroth .635

Goalies for 7.885

Team total of 55.479.

Final Thoughts:

On top of all these changes, the Sabres could also look into:

-Dumping Hecht would have to be explored intensely, as that would take the total down to a respectable 51.675, a doable number for this Sabres team under current ownership.

-Trading Lydman away for picks and bringing up Weber full time would also save the team 3.150 million.

-Dumping both Hecht and Lydman for picks, the Sabres would shed nearly 7 million in cap space, bringing the total team cap to 48.525.

Dumping either Hecht or Lydman could be realistic ventures for the Sabres to undertake. Either one would save the Sabres over 3 million dollars in space. If possible, both could/should be traded for picks, leaving the Sabres with about 7.5 in cap space (assuming the cap stays at 56 million). With 7.5 in cap space, the Sabres could sign a cheap veteran UFA forward in the offseason (Mike Knuble, Peter Sykora, etc).

If the Sabres didn't bring on a huge acquisition like Bouwmeester, then they would have AMPLE room to sign on a couple veteran forwards.

Any thoughts on the post? Its something Ive been contemplating for a few days now.

It's fantasy hockey. To expect the Sabres to make one significant move may be unrealistic. Making multiple moves to improve the club is dreaming. I guess as fans that is all we have left.

Until the Sabres prove they are willing to join the NHL and take a serious look at themselves and drastically change how they go about their business I wouldn't and don't expect anything this off-season. I don't foresee any players coming to the Sabres from outside the organization unless they are low cost low risk rentals.

Let's trade Tallinder and Hecht first to get some cap space and then i'd go and try to bring back Dominic Moore at a much greater discount then what he was rumored to be asking Toronto for. Then see how much money they have to figure out a bigger move. No doubt about it though, this team needs help.

Let's trade Tallinder and Hecht first to get some cap space and then i'd go and try to bring back Dominic Moore at a much greater discount then what he was rumored to be asking Toronto for. Then see how much money they have to figure out a bigger move. No doubt about it though, this team needs help.

Moore seemed to fit right in. Which is why signing him is a huge mistake. He's not physical or offensively talented, the Sabres have enough of those players. It's time to break the mold of the Buffalo Sabre type player and go in a new direction.

I like Derek Roy, watched him in junior hockey over 200 games. Was pleased when he was drafted by Sabres and hoped he would learn and grow and at this point be much further along in his development. It does not appear in Buffalo at least he more than a good solid second line player, nothing necessarily wrong with that , but hoped he would grow and be groomed as next captain.

I wonder if dangling him out in market with Enroth for instance and just see what can be had for these two. Frankly if they think Enroth a can't miss prospect, then put Miller in mix. Leafs at this point seem to need a goalie and more skill up front, perhaps a Derek Roy and Enroth would reap , the Leafs first round pick. Would be nice for the Sabres to this year have two fairly high first round picks. It would open a number of options.

Nice job on your analysis but I'm afraid I have to agree with Deluca on the wishful thinking aspect of it with this FO managment.

The biggest problem I'm having with formulating my fantasy plan is Lindy's late season statement "I'm not sure what the identity of this team is". The player plan needs to be executed with the style of play we are going to employ/execute in mind.

That said any plan is not hurt by and I like the idea of solid, minute gobbling, PP QB, 2 way defenseman to start that build around.

Moore seemed to fit right in. Which is why signing him is a huge mistake. He's not physical or offensively talented, the Sabres have enough of those players. It's time to break the mold of the Buffalo Sabre type player and go in a new direction.

Ding ding ding !!!

I like what you've done. I still think we need to get tougher on offense though. MacArthur or one more of the finesse guys needs to go, because I'm still not afraid of that lineup.

Yea, I think it'll be very important for the Sabres to remove at least 2 soft finesse forwards this offseason, and replace them with bigger, grittier players that have some heart.

The more and more I think Mike Knuble, the more I like the thought of him being on the team.

It's fantasy hockey. To expect the Sabres to make one significant move may be unrealistic. Making multiple moves to improve the club is dreaming. I guess as fans that is all we have left.

Until the Sabres prove they are willing to join the NHL and take a serious look at themselves and drastically change how they go about their business I wouldn't and don't expect anything this off-season. I don't foresee any players coming to the Sabres from outside the organization unless they are low cost low risk rentals.

I definitely agree my proposal to bring Bouwmeester to the Sabres is clearly fantasy, I just wanted to prove that it indeed could be done. My proposal would represent a "breaking of the mold", one that I would support.

Signing a huge UFA like Bouwmeester isn't completely necessary though; the Sabres could begin a shift to a new identity through multiple small to mid level trades and a couple of small UFA signings (which is their most likely course of action).

At the very least, Id like to see the Sabres:

-Trade TC while his trade value is high. I continue to believe the Blue Jackets would give up Klesla for TC, a move that would greatly improve the Sabres blueline.

-Trade Tallinder

-Trade one other forward (MacArthur, Hecht, Stafford)

-Sign at least one veteran forward in UFA (Ex. Mike Knuble). There are several standout vets available this summer in UFA, many which could be signed for cheap.

-Obtain a younger, gritty player from the Tallinder/Stafford trade(Ex. Ryan Kesler from Vancouver)

I feel that would be an excellent start at changing the dynamics of the team. After making such moves, the Sabres could determine whether or not Spacek + Moore would be worth resigning.

The only thing that concerns me is that the Sabres are still very weak at center. If Connolly is traded, and Moore walks, Buffalo would have to make it a top priority to make sure they obtain a center via trade of Tallinder + one of our other forwards.

Yea, I think it'll be very important for the Sabres to remove at least 2 soft finesse forwards this offseason, and replace them with bigger, grittier players that have some heart.

The more and more I think Mike Knuble, the more I like the thought of him being on the team.

I definitely agree my proposal to bring Bouwmeester to the Sabres is clearly fantasy, I just wanted to prove that it indeed could be done. My proposal would represent a "breaking of the mold", one that I would support.

Signing a huge UFA like Bouwmeester isn't completely necessary though; the Sabres could begin a shift to a new identity through multiple small to mid level trades and a couple of small UFA signings (which is their most likely course of action).

At the very least, Id like to see the Sabres:

-Trade TC while his trade value is high. I continue to believe the Blue Jackets would give up Klesla for TC, a move that would greatly improve the Sabres blueline.

-Trade Tallinder

-Trade one other forward (MacArthur, Hecht, Stafford)

-Sign at least one veteran forward in UFA (Ex. Mike Knuble). There are several standout vets available this summer in UFA, many which could be signed for cheap.

-Obtain a younger, gritty player from the Tallinder/Stafford trade(Ex. Ryan Kesler from Vancouver)

I feel that would be an excellent start at changing the dynamics of the team. After making such moves, the Sabres could determine whether or not Spacek + Moore would be worth resigning.

The only thing that concerns me is that the Sabres are still very weak at center. If Connolly is traded, and Moore walks, Buffalo would have to make it a top priority to make sure they obtain a center via trade of Tallinder + one of our other forwards.

Even with Ruff and Regier being retained and assumptions being made that big changes are on the way, I've given up on expecting major changes from this crew. The Sabres will hope that Myers is ready next year, they will promote Gerbe and Kennedy and sign one mid level FA. Anything more extensive than this would be a surprise in my eyes.

The Sabres will not trade Connolly. I can't believe people are even suggesting it. lol Do people even watch the games? Let's be a bit more realistic in these posts. Connolly is here to stay, if people like it, or not.

The one player I think they'd be willing to trade for a grinder who has a lot of offensive upside is Clarke MacArthur. Besides him, i doubt they deal any impact players. Hecht, Tallinder or even Lydman could be gone for picks if we find a fool.

I feel that failing to ship out one of the major core players will result in more of the same; this team needs a shake up in the most desperate way.

If Regier fails to make some critical moves this summer, the Sabres will struggle to make the post season.

Which essentially is the same thing as saying that you're bad at your job, when a big part of it is anticipating the market.

I think they *should* do something, even if it's a TO-type deal to get the fans excited. Signing a high-profile defenseman would be ideal and possibly show the rest of the league they're serious.

What they'll more likely do is sign a few under-the-radar guys while getting rid of the dead weight.

Archived