Rene Robert calls out LQ and TG

frisky

He said it was a telephone conversation last week. Given that Robert obviously wanted to get his story out there allows me to infer that he called Bucky but I ma not sure I see what difference it makes. If Bucky sought out Robert it would have been at the suggestion of someone who didn't want to go on record. I would guess that to be Dudley, but that is just an educated guess.

By the way, Bucky's reputation is far different then your opinion of him.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it may tend to incriminate me :rolleyes:

However I will say this whole thing reeks "pathetic" like some damn soap opera instead of a well run FO and business and not just in Bflo. :angry:

I am very interested in listening to WGR at 3:00. The afternoon guys have a relationship with Quinn and I wonder if they plan on blowing off Robert's comments in a attempt to defend their friend. I think Robert is much like Joe D. Ex-player with a pretty honest view of the team. The only difference between the two is the station's relationship with the Sabres compared to the Bills. I am interested on how they play it.

Is Quinn going to on be right at 3?

I don't think he meant that he'll be on the radio, but curious to see if they take the company line at 3.

That is correct.

It is obvious to everyone, that out of the top four in the organization TG, LQ, DR and LR, that Larry Quinn is the least qualified for his job. Yet, you don't hear two words about it on WGR. It is a bit hypocritical considering they have no problem with leveling the same criticism on the Bills.

Excerpt:

As team president in '90s, Quinn involved himself in hockey decisions. Now, his role is certainly less visible, if not less influential. You'll hear hints of Quinn's input on hockey decisions - for example, in a radio interview last summer, he acknowledged that he had talked to goaltender Dominik Hasek about possibly returning to the Sabres - but not much more.

"Back then, he wanted to be the hockey guy," says Jim Kelley, hockey writer for ESPN.com and a formerly a Buffalo News columnist. "Now he appears much more cautious in that regard."

Excerpt:

As team president in '90s, Quinn involved himself in hockey decisions. Now, his role is certainly less visible, if not less influential. You'll hear hints of Quinn's input on hockey decisions - for example, in a radio interview last summer, he acknowledged that he had talked to goaltender Dominik Hasek about possibly returning to the Sabres - but not much more.

"Back then, he wanted to be the hockey guy," says Jim Kelley, hockey writer for ESPN.com and a formerly a Buffalo News columnist. "Now he appears much more cautious in that regard."

Should note that the article is from 2004. After getting used and dumped by the Rigas' I'd expect him to be more cautious, back then. Now, not so much. Especially with owning a piece of the organ-eye-zation.

Should note that the article is from 2004. After getting used and dumped by the Rigas' I'd expect him to be more cautious, back then. Now, not so much. Especially with owning a piece of the organ-eye-zation.

Good point. The article also talks about LQ not micromanaging into every detail of the team, even game night arena presentation. Yet I think Larry took credit for picking out the goal song the Sabres played for a while last season. Not gonna look it up, sorry nfreeman.

I am very interested in listening to WGR at 3:00. The afternoon guys have a relationship with Quinn and I wonder if they plan on blowing off Robert's comments in a attempt to defend their friend. I think Robert is much like Joe D. Ex-player with a pretty honest view of the team. The only difference between the two is the station's relationship with the Sabres compared to the Bills. I am interested on how they play it.

You haven't been listening recently if you think they are going to be soft on them. Both Schoop and the Bulldog have been pushing for major changes and they both said what the team really needs is some "men" on the team. However, they both feel that when Quinn and Reiger are on the show that they deserve to be treated with respect and they will never "ambush" them on the air.

You haven't been listening recently if you think they are going to be soft on them. Both Schoop and the Bulldog have been pushing for major changes and they both said what the team really needs is some "men" on the team. However, they both feel that when Quinn and Reiger are on the show that they deserve to be treated with respect and they will never "ambush" them on the air.

Why is asking tough questions a "ambush?" What is the point of having them on?

I've heard a lot talk regarding Ruff in the afternoons. I don't remember Quinn's qualifications coming into question. I hear a lot of defending, not too many questions.

I've heard a lot talk regarding Ruff in the afternoons. I don't remember Quinn's qualifications coming into question. I hear a lot of defending, not too many questions.

Which is exactly what they did by way of questioning the credibility of Robert.

Which is exactly what they did by way of questioning the credibility of Robert.

I could almost guarantee if it were a former Bill he would have been on the air.

I was glad that Jerry Sullivan was able to keep the conversation on point despite Mike's best attempts to steer the conversation into another direction. Mike tried to make the conversation about the paper vs the radio station. Sullivan was able to hammer home the point of Quinn being out of his league and how much the Sabres are hurting from not having a team President with a hockey back ground.

I don't even know if Golisano remembers that he owns a hockey team. If he did, and he cared, I can't imagine he would accept status quo as a game plan for 2009-10.

I could almost guarantee if it were a former Bill he would have been on the air.

I was glad that Jerry Sullivan was able to keep the conversation on point despite Mike's best attempts to steer the conversation into another direction. Mike tried to make the conversation about the paper vs the radio station. Sullivan was able to hammer home the point of Quinn being out of his league and how much the Sabres are hurting from not having a team President with a hockey back ground.

I don't even know if Golisano remembers that he owns a hockey team. If he did, and he cared, I can't imagine he would accept status quo as a game plan for 2009-10.

Quinn doesn't have a 5% stake in WGR does he? Not only was their defending of him annoying yesterday, but wanting to constantly change the subject got down right nauseating.

Quinn doesn't have a 5% stake in WGR does he? Not only was their defending of him annoying yesterday, but wanting to constantly change the subject got down right nauseating.

Agreed. And I will admit, more times then not, i defend WGR because i really enjoy listening to them but yesterday's 3pm show was just plain out embarrassing when they were on the topic of the Sabres. Them defending Quinn the way they were and they way they bashed Rene Robert for having an opinion on the current state of the Sabres were bad.

Agreed. And I will admit, more times then not, i defend WGR because i really enjoy listening to them but yesterday's 3pm show was just plain out embarrassing when they were on the topic of the Sabres. Them defending Quinn the way they were and they way they bashed Rene Robert for having an opinion on the current state of the Sabres were bad.

The more I try to defend their stance on the team the worse I feel about listening to them their opinions are obviously guided due to the 'relationship" that they have with the team.

Archived