Who Should Go?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Go?

• Regier
    • Ruff
    • Both
    • Neither
    • Doesn't matter; ownership is the problem

In a recent Buffalo News blog by one of the hockey guys, my jaw drop when it was estimated that Quinn has a 7-10% ownership stake in the Sabres. I would have guessed 1 or 2%.

I don't know what their sources are, but there are several articles say that the minority owners "reportedly" have the following shares:

Quinn: 8%

DiPofi: 5%

Again, there's nothing backing those up.

Wrong! Neale must go first. I don't know that I can listen to that again next season.

I rather enjoy the awkward silences shared in the announcer's booth after Neale says something that makes RJ cringe and shake his head. :thumbsup:

Excerpts from Ruff's interview Tuesday afternoon. Very, very interesting:

Lindy this morning I heard just a snippet on the radio, you were saying that this team didn?t really know it?s identity, or it lacked it?s identity throughout the year. when I asked the players about that, asked what is the identity of this team, a lot of them said inconsistency.

We haven?t been able to push through offensively. The identity we?re trying to create is a puck-pressure team that plays an up-tempo [style] two men front. That should lead to a lot of pretty good offense. The problem is when you play like that, the mistakes that you make if you don?t convert, show up on the offensive side.

I can mention the Philly game, the Ottawa game, where going into the third period it?s tied and we make the mistake and it goes the other way. We haven?t gotten the reward for playing this up-tempo, puck-pressure game on the offensive side of it. We haven?t been able to lock down some of the situations. Even getting some of the games to overtime where you get that extra point.

The tight games, there are lots of games I can mention where in the third period the game is sitting there and we?ve lost the game. We?ve gone after it, we?ve missed the opportunity to convert on a good offensive situation because of how we play and we?ve given up a real dangerous situation going the other way that gets converted.

Some of it is finish, we haven?t been able to finish, our key guys haven?t finished for us. in the past we?ve been able to be in those situations and be able to run it up. We?re not quite there which has made it tough.

So that?s how it gets lost, the identity gets lost. If somebody were to ask me the identity of the team, I would say I honestly have no idea.

I think that when we went good and were pretty consistent with it, it?s a tough team to play because they are pressuring the puck at all points. When one or two guys start missing assignments and you get goals going in, that?s where the inconsistency comes in. It makes it tough.

Your top two lines, and I?ve talked a lot about our top two lines, have to be your best lines. A game like last night, that didn?t happen again. I thought the [Paul] Gaustad line created the most opportunities, got in really good on the forecheck. The other lines were kind of at a stalemate. They weren?t able to push through and make the difference for us.

Lindy sounds about done with this team. The team seems frustrated, and he seems frustrated as well. Maybe it is time to bring in a whole new coaching staff.

Why don't you include Larry Quinn in the poll? We all blame Regier but he can't go to the bathroom without Quinn's approval. Nothing will change as long as Larry Quinn runs the Sabres.

PTR

Is there any actual proof that this is true, or just speculation from the fans who think they know exactly what Quinn does all day at HSBC?

Can anyone say with a straight face after the win in Carolina that Ruff didn't have the players to make the playoffs? Sure he did. Sure he did.

Yeah but did you listen to Pomminstein between periods? It's all on those players. Something to the effect of "you get down to this point in the season and it's time to start playing with some desperation." THIS POINT? THIS POINT JASON? :censored:

It's not Lindy's fault he's got a bunch of schmucks like Pomminstein who think it's okay to wait till the last 3 games of the season to play like it matters.

I don't care if he scored 2 goals tonight, get rid of him. What he said just clarifies what most of us suspected all season long. That this team is just a bunch of slackers who like to talk.

And talk doesn't get you the playoffs.

F*CK YOU JASON Pomminstein.

Wrong! Neale must go first. I don't know that I can listen to that again next season.

I agree completely. He's bad voodoo. They were much better when Jim Lorentz was there.

While I think changes need to be made, especially with the players, I know nothing is going to happen aside from the UFAs leaving, the RFAs re-signing, and new rookies coming in. I also know that the Sabres management are going to blame the whole thing on Vanek and Miller being injured and therefore hurting their playoff chances. While I believe that to be true to a very large extent, then that means the team did not step up either with replacement scoring or a backup goaltender that could win games while Miller was hurt, which means this goes back on Regier for not providing the talent that could step up and fill in when the two stars on this team got hurt. Just my opinion.

Is there any actual proof that this is true, or just speculation from the fans who think they know exactly what Quinn does all day at HSBC?

I brought this up in another thread awhile back and didn't get a straight response. I have a problem with people blaming Quinn when there's no real proof that this is all his fault.

Everyone had a hand in this. Ruff, Regier and Quinn are at the top and are responsible for the underachieving players that are here. Bucky's recent column quoted Quinn as saying Lindy and Regier are staying for next year. What does that mean to me? Quinn is in charge and is going nowhere along with Ruff and Regier. The players, I believe will change though.

I brought this up in another thread awhile back and didn't get a straight response. I have a problem with people blaming Quinn when there's no real proof that this is all his fault.

Everyone had a hand in this. Ruff, Regier and Quinn are at the top and are responsible for the underachieving players that are here. Bucky's recent column quoted Quinn as saying Lindy and Regier are staying for next year. What does that mean to me? Quinn is in charge and is going nowhere along with Ruff and Regier. The players, I believe will change though.

You're joking right? Did you miss the press conference two years ago when Quinn, with a stunned blank look in his eyes, admitted he "misjudged the situation" in the Drury negitiation? Along with losing our best players, it was Quinn who fired head scout Don Luce so the Sabres can scout by YouTube. Nothing happens without Quinn signing off. People keep blaming Regier but how can you blame a GM when ownership won't let you spend money or negotiate fairly? Players talk and the Sabres are on every players list of franchises to avoid right now.

PTR

I think it says they aren't going to jump and change the front office and coaching staff this offseason, but thats it. I don't think it says anything about an overhaul of the players, and all it says about Quinn is that he is TG's mouthpiece

Was listening to the post game report tonight on WGR.

Seems that for the past few games, the only visibly upset person in the lock room was Ruff. Seems he cares more about the team than the team does itself. What can you do with a bunch of players who fail to show up on a consistent basis? Would a new coaching staff be able to rectify this?

Was listening to the post game report tonight on WGR.

Seems that for the past few games, the only visibly upset person in the lock room was Ruff. Seems he cares more about the team than the team does itself. What can you do with a bunch of players who fail to show up on a consistent basis? Would a new coaching staff be able to rectify this?

To answer your last question, not likely.

The team needs to show that accountability does matter. Someone at the GM level or higher has to go.

The new leader can make his own decision regarding Lindy. I still think Lindy is a very good coach (although having had Hasek, he has never figured out how to properly use his goalies), but if someone higher than him doesn't go, he probably does need to go.

So much love for Ruff LOL... someone please tell me exactly what did he do that's so good???

either way, people that voted Regier should have probably voted for BOTH since more it's highly probable that a new GM would probably want to bring in a new coach. It's easy to blame Regier but i'm not really understanding why so many people love Ruff so much. He's not that good of a coach and it's no surprise why this team doesn't have much 'heart'. I mean every time we play like #%^$#! Ruff quickly puts the blame on the players, never himself. With him it's always the same old song.

Anyone else hear the chants by the fans 3rd period at HSBC yesterday? They were chanting to fire Darcy and Lindy.

:lol: Yeah. That was me. We sat in the 300's and could see Darcy up in the pressbox. At about the 8 minute mark I just let it rip. Dar-cy Dar-cy. Everyone sang along. yeah, I got annoying enough that the ushers came out, Darcy was looking right me, one fan yelled shut-up. I stopped and then the next section over started it up again LOL. He finally had enough and left at around the 4 minute mark.

:lol: Yeah. That was me. We sat in the 300's and could see Darcy up in the pressbox. At about the 8 minute mark I just let it rip. Dar-cy Dar-cy. Everyone sang along. yeah, I got annoying enough that the ushers came out, Darcy was looking right me, one fan yelled shut-up. I stopped and then the next section over started it up again LOL. He finally had enough and left at around the 4 minute mark.

Priceless. :thumbsup:

Fantastico!

I'm sure he left the box because there was a loud mouth in the stands.

Sorry if this is late (been on vacation). IMO, it's obvious why we haven't made the playoffs the past 2 years. Management (and/or ownership) failed to re-sign Drury and/or Briere, and failed to bring in replacements for those two. Constantly recycling players has bit this team in the azz big time! For 2 years in a row, we made to the EC Finals, so we should have tweaked the roster and added the right players to get us to the Stanley Cup, instead we let the right players go away from us.

Management (and/or ownership) failed to re-sign Drury and/or Briere, and failed to bring in replacements for those two.

I hate, hate, HATE the fact that we're still talking about Drury and Briere at this point, but that second part is exactly why. OK, TG tried to apply a logical philosophy to contract signings (short term -> better incentive to perform) that, unfortunately, is not how it is done in this business, so they lost a key piece (or pieces) of the team. It happened; it's the past; lets move forward. He does seems to have realized this mistake and the pendulum has swung the other way, almost too far. However, they still haven't filled the hole that was created. Rivet was a start, but far from sufficient. The are still missing that leader up front, who can grab the team by the sack when things aren't going their way. It will cost money and some of their "potential" assets, but it's necessary for a winning team, so that we can finally forget about the Wonder Twins ... uh, co-Captains.

I hate, hate, HATE the fact that we're still talking about Drury and Briere at this point, but that second part is exactly why. OK, TG tried to apply a logical philosophy to contract signings (short term -> better incentive to perform) that, unfortunately, is not how it is done in this business, so they lost a key piece (or pieces) of the team. It happened; it's the past; lets move forward. He does seems to have realized this mistake and the pendulum has swung the other way, almost too far. However, they still haven't filled the hole that was created. Rivet was a start, but far from sufficient. The are still missing that leader up front, who can grab the team by the sack when things aren't going their way. It will cost money and some of their "potential" assets, but it's necessary for a winning team, so that we can finally forget about the Wonder Twins ... uh, co-Captains.

Yes, the Drury/Briere topic was discussed and drug through the mud a ton of times, but the fact is, since they left the team, we went from the EC finals 2 years in a row to 10th place in the conference 2 years in a row. Yes, we can't change the past, but the mistakes should have been corrected by now. Whether it's Quinn, Regier or both, but someone has failed miserably and should be fired. Look at how fast the Flyers turned their team around, they went from last place to the EC Finals in a year.

Archived