The Sabres are very Generous to the Pirates

wildcat48

The Sabres are very Generous to the Pirates

April 1, 2009

Portland, ME The Portland Pirates defense is starting to build back some valuable depth as they make a final push toward the Calder Cup playoffs.

Matt Generous was signed to an ATO yesterday and was on the ice for the Pirates when they practiced at Portland Ice Arena this morning. Hes also signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Sabres, which will take effect next season.

Read the rest of this entry ?

From Hockey's future:

Generous is a hard working player that gets the most out of his ability. He has a nice shot from the point, and can get around the rink reasonably well. At this point, he does not project as a starting NHL defenseman, but he may find a niche at the pro level based on his intangibles.

Ah, yes, the intangibles. Like PA's posts.

I liked what I saw. He was definitely a presence out there for SLU(t). Moved the puck well and used his body too. He's probably a long shot to ever make it to the NHL, but I'm sure Portland will be happy with him.

Portland could be loaded with new young talent next year with Brennan, Schiestel, Persson, Gogulla, Ennis ( his birthday makes him eligible for those who don't know), Generous, Byron, maybe Orpik and Biega, joining the others. Don't know that any of them are difference makers but they should fill the roster, anyway.

Portland could be loaded with new young talent next year with Brennan, Schiestel, Persson, Gogulla, Ennis ( his birthday makes him eligible for those who don't know), Generous, Byron, maybe Orpik and Biega, joining the others. Don't know that any of them are difference makers but they should fill the roster, anyway.

I don't see Biega leaving. He probably would have already if he wanted to. Harvard players don't typically leave early. Since they don't have scholarships, they're actually there for the education. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has recently left early. I'll have to check the media guides when I get out of work.

But yeah, they're about to get a major infusion of young talent in Portland, specifically on the blue line. I get the impression that the team was lazy about filling those holes a month or two ago, partly because of this.

I don't see Biega leaving. He probably would have already if he wanted to. Harvard players don't typically leave early. Since they don't have scholarships, they're actually there for the education. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has recently left early. I'll have to check the media guides when I get out of work.

But yeah, they're about to get a major infusion of young talent in Portland, specifically on the blue line. I get the impression that the team was lazy about filling those holes a month or two ago, partly because of this.

That is possible as they have to be near the 50 man limit and while I see them dumping Funk and Card I'm sure they weren't in any hurry to do that. Sorry about Biega, I keep thinking he is a senior. I agree that he probably won't be leaving early to play in Portland.

That is possible as they have to be near the 50 man limit and while I see them dumping Funk and Card I'm sure they weren't in any hurry to do that. Sorry about Biega, I keep thinking he is a senior. I agree that he probably won't be leaving early to play in Portland.

What is the 50 man limit?

Archived