Isn't catching the rangers a real option as well?

zevo

We have 1 game in hand on the rangers. If we win that game we are only 3 points back. seems do-able right? Just trying to keep the dream alive! :thumbsup:

Yes, but catching anyone will require that teams already in the top 8 lose a few games. Difficult, but not impossible. The hard part is that all of that is out of Buffalo's control.

IMHO, it's the only option.

Rangers need to continue their slump, and Florida needs to lose some games, while Buffalo pretty much wins their remaining games.

Man, this wouldn't be such a crappy situation if I didn't just know Darcy and Larry the fat-ass Moron are already warming up the excuses :wallbash:

1. Timmy injured at the beginning of the season, no way of seeing that coming.

2. New system. Takes time for the players to adjust. Have adjusted now, of course!!

3. Vanek injured.

4. Miller injured.

To sum up : Bad luck keeps Buffalo out of the playoffs. Will be much better next year, rest assured.

Rangers Remaining Games

Devils@ Rangers tonight On VS BTW

Rangers @ Carolina 04/02

Rangers@Boston 4/04

Montreeal @ Rangers 04/07

Flyers @Rangers 04/09

Rangers@ Flyers 04/12

So 3 at home, three on the road. 5 games agaisn'tthat are above them in the standings, and 4 divisonal games. Only game I do not like is that Canadiens game, and really hate the possibility of a 3 pointer there. No back to baks either

Rangers Remaining Games

Devils@ Rangers tonight On VS BTW

Rangers @ Carolina 04/02

Rangers@Boston 4/04

Montreeal @ Rangers 04/07

Flyers @Rangers 04/09

Rangers@ Flyers 04/12

So 3 at home, three on the road. 5 games agaisn'tthat are above them in the standings, and 4 divisonal games. Only game I do not like is that Canadiens game, and really hate the possibility of a 3 pointer there. No back to baks either

Rangers have 87 points. Supposing the Rangers split these games they'd have 93. The Sabres' schedule is brutal. They'd need 11 out of 14 points to match that and 4 games come against 1st place teams. As a team that's hovered around .500 for most of the season, it's unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

If they can manage to finally beat Atlanta (their game-in-hand on the Rangers and Panthers) to pull within 3 of New York and 1 of Florida, then they will have three teams within reach, of which they will have to pass two. With just seven games left (after Atlanta), passing any of them will be difficult, especially considering their schedule. As TSF said "possible, but unlikely." I'll take that over "not possible" any day, though.

Once again, most important game of the season on Wednesday.

If they can manage to finally beat Atlanta (their game-in-hand on the Rangers and Panthers) to pull within 3 of New York and 1 of Florida, then they will have three teams within reach, of which they will have to pass two. With just seven games left (after Atlanta), passing any of them will be difficult, especially considering their schedule. As TSF said "possible, but unlikely." I'll take that over "not possible" any day, though.

Once again, the latest most important game of the season on Wednesday.

Fixed.

:thumbsup:

IMHO, it's the only option.

Rangers need to continue their slump, and Florida needs to lose some games, while Buffalo pretty much wins their remaining games.

Man, this wouldn't be such a crappy situation if I didn't just know Darcy and Larry the fat-ass Moron are already warming up the excuses :wallbash:

1. Timmy injured at the beginning of the season, no way of seeing that coming.

2. New system. Takes time for the players to adjust. Have adjusted now, of course!!

3. Vanek injured.

4. Miller injured.

To sum up : Bad luck keeps Buffalo out of the playoffs. Will be much better next year, rest assured.

First of all, the last 10 games the Rangers are 6-3-1 and the Sabres are 4-5-1.

Well, the mathematics say the Sabres are toast - no playoffs this year. Pick your excuses.

The Penguins, Hurricanes and Rangers have all played much better than the Sabres down the stretch. They earned it and the Sabres didn't.

As Sabres fans we must face the fact that the team is not good enough to qualify for the playoffs let alone actually have a chance to compete for the Cup.

The players being paid millions of dollars per year who have underperformed are the principal culprits and the management who signed these under-performers are equally responsible for the teams failures.

Some players have stepped up lately which is great to see. But it only makes it all that much more frustrating/head-scratching as to where their games have been most of the year.

Some help from other teams would be great, but as others have said, the Sabres made their own bed.

How many times have the Sabres made this "passion play" in the spring under Ruff? Remember the year after making the finals, they had to make a big push to make the playoffs on the final day. It's more ammo in the case to fire Ruff. Clearly, he has the players to make the playoffs. Look at how they're playing. He just can't get it out of them on a consistent basis.

Trying to stay positive... so this is my current take: Sabres need to do just a little better than FLA these last two weeks, and have one of MTL/NYR just plain blow it. This doesn't necessarily mean they have to get 11 of 14 points.

Our schedule's tough, and that website with the %'s is about right, but there are still a bunch of games to go here!

Also, we've won our last three (including two against FLA/MTL), which I think means these guys might still have some fight/determination in them.....? Sadly I did not get to see the TOR/MTL games... so I ask: does anyone think they showed signs of inspiration over this past weekend?

Some players have stepped up lately which is great to see. But it only makes it all that much more frustrating/head-scratching as to where their games have been most of the year.

Some help from other teams would be great, but as others have said, the Sabres made their own bed.

The core players(Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Pominville, Connolly, Rivet, Lydman, etc..) needed to step up when Miller was out and the teams record was 4-7-2. If they had gone 6-5-2(not unreasonable to believe they could have achieved this) during that same stretch, those 4 points would change how things look right now in a BIG way.

The core players(Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Pominville, Connolly, Rivet, Lydman, etc..) needed to step up when Miller was out and the teams record was 4-7-2. If they had gone 6-5-2(not unreasonable to believe they could have achieved this) during that same stretch, those 4 points would change how things look right now in a BIG way.

You're right, and there's no excuses.

I know Vanek has played with his jaw sewn shut, but still he was quite streaky before getting hurt, after that red hot start of his.

You're right--squandered opportunities. I keep thinking back to being blanked by the Islanders. But I'm not going to dump on Vanek. The guy was scoring goals in every way possible when no one else was on this team was. I have to think the football helmet is having an effect on seeing the puck and his play. And I'm ok with a player not having their A-game 82 games a year--not possible. But for so many to seemingly disappear for stretches all at the same time--sometimes games/sometimes periods...I just don't get it.

I'm down to trying to find consistent positives for the season unfortunately--Miller, Butler, Kaleta, Vanek. Rivet has been average at times but his willingness to scrap has been welcomed and was sorely missed.

I'll miss Jaro if/when they don't bring him back. Always gives an honest effort.

Without immediate help promised from Portland and knowing their inability/unwillingness to make a splash in free agency, I'm afraid we'll be right back here this time next year.

You're right, and there's no excuses.

I know Vanek has played with his jaw sewn shut, but still he was quite streaky before getting hurt, after that red hot start of his.

Vanek has been one of the few to produce anything. My question is what the hell happened to Pominville and Hecht and Connolly?

Everyone in the league realizes that Afinogenov is useless, but the so called "core" of the team was AWOL during the crucial stretch when the team needed someone to step up.

The lack of grit is a big problem for the Sabres. Gaustad,Kaleta and Mair have some, but the defense doesn't scare anyone in the league! You don't have to worry about getting hit from the Sabres defensemen.

Vanek has been one of the few to produce anything. My question is what the hell happened to Pominville and Hecht and Connolly?

Everyone in the league realizes that Afinogenov is useless, but the so called "core" of the team was AWOL during the crucial stretch when the team needed someone to step up.

The lack of grit is a big problem for the Sabres. Gaustad,Kaleta and Mair have some, but the defense doesn't scare anyone in the league! You don't have to worry about getting hit from the Sabres defensemen.

The team knows this and after years of using these euro defensman they are going to the north american style defensman. Unfortunatley it takes time to make the switch. There last one coming through the system is Perrson who they believe will be on the team next year along with Weber..When Tyler Myers matures we will have a pretty solid defense with Butler Weber and Myers..

The team knows this and after years of using these euro defensman they are going to the north american style defensman. Unfortunatley it takes time to make the switch. There last one coming through the system is Perrson who they believe will be on the team next year along with Weber..When Tyler Myers matures we will have a pretty solid defense with Butler Weber and Myers..

I hope they know it. Unfortunately, the Sabres are a couple years late in recognizing it. The league will never allow the small finesse players to skate freely. The need for toughness and size is back in style.

Archived