Harry Neale

Buffalo Fan

When is his contract up? I don't sense he is a real sabres fan. I'd like to see him replaced.

I'd like to see him replaced, too, but whether he's a Sabres fan has nothing to do with it. In fact, I'd hope for an analytical person, who is NOT a Sabres fan, in that spot.

Neale's problem is that he doesn't add anything, and he's got big shoes to fill after Lorenz left.

Guest Sloth

His idea of a new playoff system was a joke! I would be majorly pissed off if the NHL switched to some type of "wild card" round. It'd take away a player's will to play during the season. Eight teams from each conference is enough.

When is his contract up? I don't sense he is a real sabres fan. I'd like to see him replaced.

No coincidence the Sabres started sucking when this guy came onboard. I have despised him from game 1 last year. All he does is read stats and state the obvious? can?t win many games taking 6 straight penalties".

In other words, fire him today!

His idea of a new playoff system was a joke! I would be majorly pissed off if the NHL switched to some type of "wild card" round. It'd take away a player's will to play during the season. Eight teams from each conference is enough.

I didn't hear his idea, but if they went to a wild card round like the NFL, it would result is less teams getting in, not more. #1-3 would be the three division leaders, as usual. #1 and #2 would get the first round bye. #3 would face #6 and #4 would face #5 in the two wild card games. The winners of those plus the two top division leaders would form the four teams in the conference quarter-finals. So, you'd actually have two less teams from each conference than you have now. The biggest problem that I see with that would be the situation that you had last year where one division leader actually has a low record, which would seem unfair that they'd get in ahead of several other teams. In theory, though, they'd get knocked out by the #6 team in that wild card round.

Guest Sloth
I didn't hear his idea, but if they went to a wild card round like the NFL, it would result is less teams getting in, not more. #1-3 would be the three division leaders, as usual. #1 and #2 would get the first round bye. #3 would face #6 and #4 would face #5 in the two wild card games. The winners of those plus the two top division leaders would form the four teams in the conference quarter-finals. So, you'd actually have two less teams from each conference than you have now. The biggest problem that I see with that would be the situation that you had last year where one division leader actually has a low record, which would seem unfair that they'd get in ahead of several other teams. In theory, though, they'd get knocked out by the #6 team in that wild card round.

They mentioned 10 teams being involved w/ this new type of playoff system. I can't remember how the wild card round would be set up. Harry Neal tried to say how it would be more entertaining for people to watch because there would always be a tight race for the last playoff spot. The past 4 seasons, this one included, have been super tight. Just look how the Islanders got into the playoffs in 06/07. The Caps went 9-1 in their final 10 games to sneak into the playoffs last year. Harry Neal was the only one to support the idea last night. They should not make any more changes to the NHL. The only change I would be in support of would be the icing rule. If they switched it to the international rule, it could help prevent injuries.

They mentioned 10 teams being involved w/ this new type of playoff system. I can't remember how the wild card round would be set up. Harry Neal tried to say how it would be more entertaining for people to watch because there would always be a tight race for the last playoff spot. The past 4 seasons, this one included, have been super tight. Just look how the Islanders got into the playoffs in 06/07. The Caps went 9-1 in their final 10 games to sneak into the playoffs last year. Harry Neal was the only one to support the idea last night. They should not make any more changes to the NHL. The only change I would be in support of would be the icing rule. If they switched it to the international rule, it could help prevent injuries.

How many injuries result from icing? They modified the rule this year where players must play the puck when chasing a possible icing. By blowing the whistle as soon as the puck crosses the line, you could be preventing a scoring chance. I remember during the lockout when the Amerks played in Buffalo and that rule was in effect. I thought it slowed down the game.

His idea was to take the top 10 teams in each conference and the 7-10 teams would play a best-of-3 preliminary round (7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9). The winners move on to what we know now as the first round. The reason he wants this was because of the races:

- There would be a fight to be in the top 4 (home ice in round 1)

- A fight to be in the top 6 (avoid the prelim round)

- A race to be in 7-8 (home ice in the prelim round)

- A race to get into the playoffs, period

In addition, it would create more fan interest and more revenue for the owners.

Roby & Rob Ray both disagreed, saying the season is long enough and we don't want the Stanley Cup Finals in July (exaggerating a bit, but the point was made). I also disagree with Harry...enough teams make it as it is and if you're going to do it this way, then the season would have to either start a week earlier or the schedule would have to be compressed a bit to save that week.

For those who follow college hockey, the ECAC used to do it this way, but the prelim round was a single game and they rigged the schedule so that it didn't extend the season.

that is kind of an interesting idea. I agree that already enough teams make it in, but the added races would certainly add an element of interest in the final weeks of the season. I would like it if the top three teams weren't automatically the division winners, it should really be done by points.

that is kind of an interesting idea. I agree that already enough teams make it in, but the added races would certainly add an element of interest in the final weeks of the season. I would like it if the top three teams weren't automatically the division winners, it should really be done by points.

I know where he was going with it, but I just think that enough teams make it right now. Changing the seedings based on points would be about the only thing I'd change.

I think he's gone senile.

I don't think he is senile in the least, he is a Canadian who likes the Canadian teams. It's just a job for him, it seems like he isn't interested in the Sabres. It was evidenced early last year when he became the so called "Sabres color man," who acts like a fill in; bridging the gap until we get a Sabres color guy.

I have noticed this year that they are using Rob Ray much more, which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

I don't think he is senile in the least, he is a Canadian who likes the Canadian teams. It's just a job for him, it seems like he isn't interested in the Sabres. It was evidenced early last year when he became the so called "Sabres color man," who acts like a fill in; bridging the gap until we get a Sabres color guy.

I have noticed this year that they are using Rob Ray much more, which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

How is that much different from the majority of the players?

Harry is simply a hockey person, he not a fan. If he has had a bias over the years it has been towards Vancouver he once coached. He does not have a national bias. Shame really he ending his career where apparently so many people do not appreciate his work. Harry the same man doing Sabre color as Leaf , and national games as part of Hockey night in Canada. If fact its possible he is harder on home team, seemed that way towards Leafs and now to some extend Sabres.

( I am not ragging on those who do not care for him as color man , we all have right of course to enjoy who we wish, and similarly not enjoy. )

Agreed...I think Rob needs to be with the team for the long haul

For me, Harry adds nothing to the game. He reads stats, and has a few cute "old timerisms", but really adds very little at all. I find it amazing that he was Head Coach in this league. And while we all respect Rayzor, he's a marble mouth too. Just states the very obvious, and not particularly well, either. Now RJ, on the other hand, is all-world. I've been loving his game calls since the mid seventies. Just my opinion...

For me, Harry adds nothing to the game. He reads stats, and has a few cute "old timerisms", but really adds very little at all. I find it amazing that he was Head Coach in this league. And while we all respect Rayzor, he's a marble mouth too. Just states the very obvious, and not particularly well, either. Now RJ, on the other hand, is all-world. I've been loving his game calls since the mid seventies. Just my opinion...

Ditto on Rick. But it's becoming apparent to me that Harry's idiocy is rubbing off on Jeanneret. Enough said.

Harry is simply a hockey person, he not a fan. If he has had a bias over the years it has been towards Vancouver he once coached. He does not have a national bias. Shame really he ending his career where apparently so many people do not appreciate his work. Harry the same man doing Sabre color as Leaf , and national games as part of Hockey night in Canada. If fact its possible he is harder on home team, seemed that way towards Leafs and now to some extend Sabres.

( I am not ragging on those who do not care for him as color man , we all have right of course to enjoy who we wish, and similarly not enjoy. )

I think it's a bad mix of not being used right and not sounding "interested" in the hometown team. Regardless of what people say, they DO want to hear SOME homerism in their announcers. Christ, at least get the names right (and the shot distances right :thumbsup: )

Neale is quality. It takes a guy at his level to come in after such a good guy in Jim Lorentz. Granted, I wish he would provide more critique about the play, like Lorentz did, but Harry is entertaining. "Color" guy, indeed...

"And Paille did everything except pull his groin to try and stay on sides"

RJ: They're not booing, they're Drewing.

Neale: If he scores, they'll be drooling.

"8 New signings by the Thrashers, 9 of them are draft picks"

From last season...

"The officials have had more meetings of the mind here than at the United Nations"

"I guess the linesmen don't have to work tomorrow..."

"Mick McGeough is waving his arms so fast, it looks like he is trying to land airplanes."

"His helmet is so big it was made at the Ford plant in Ontario."

Neale is quality. It takes a guy at his level to come in after such a good guy in Jim Lorentz. Granted, I wish he would provide more critique about the play, like Lorentz did, but Harry is entertaining. "Color" guy, indeed...

"And Paille did everything except pull his groin to try and stay on sides"

RJ: They're not booing, they're Drewing.

Neale: If he scores, they'll be drooling.

"8 New signings by the Thrashers, 9 of them are draft picks"

From last season...

"The officials have had more meetings of the mind here than at the United Nations"

"I guess the linesmen don't have to work tomorrow..."

"Mick McGeough is waving his arms so fast, it looks like he is trying to land airplanes."

"His helmet is so big it was made at the Ford plant in Ontario."

He's got his share of witty one-liners. What I want is an analyst. (No, not the kind that's partially paid by my med insurance.) Lorenz analyzed plays and was a great foil to Jeanneret's enthusiasm. MSG isn't HNiC; I want an analyst who will break down the plays and not worry about whether the folks at the pub are chuckling at his latest turn of phrase.

I'd like to see him replaced, too, but whether he's a Sabres fan has nothing to do with it. In fact, I'd hope for an analytical person, who is NOT a Sabres fan, in that spot.

Neale's problem is that he doesn't add anything, and he's got big shoes to fill after Lorenz left.

Lorentz sucked

Archived