Harry Neale

Buffalo Fan

Harry is simply a hockey person, he not a fan. If he has had a bias over the years it has been towards Vancouver he once coached. He does not have a national bias. Shame really he ending his career where apparently so many people do not appreciate his work. Harry the same man doing Sabre color as Leaf , and national games as part of Hockey night in Canada. If fact its possible he is harder on home team, seemed that way towards Leafs and now to some extend Sabres.

( I am not ragging on those who do not care for him as color man , we all have right of course to enjoy who we wish, and similarly not enjoy. )

I've always liked Harry and still do.

He's witty, understated, and somewhat overshadowed by the local legend, which is a kind of irony in itself.

Unlike most playXplay/color teams these days....they are still calling the game.

That doesn't happen in many markets on the US side.

Neale is quality. It takes a guy at his level to come in after such a good guy in Jim Lorentz. Granted, I wish he would provide more critique about the play, like Lorentz did, but Harry is entertaining. "Color" guy, indeed...

"And Paille did everything except pull his groin to try and stay on sides"

RJ: They're not booing, they're Drewing.

Neale: If he scores, they'll be drooling.

"8 New signings by the Thrashers, 9 of them are draft picks"

From last season...

"The officials have had more meetings of the mind here than at the United Nations"

"I guess the linesmen don't have to work tomorrow..."

"Mick McGeough is waving his arms so fast, it looks like he is trying to land airplanes."

"His helmet is so big it was made at the Ford plant in Ontario."

I loved his line on Al Arbor night in New York:

"I have vivid memories of Al in this building, unfortunately they all have his arms in the air"

"And Paille did everything except pull his groin to try and stay on sides"

RJ: They're not booing, they're Drewing.

Neale: If he scores, they'll be drooling.

"8 New signings by the Thrashers, 9 of them are draft picks"

From last season...

"The officials have had more meetings of the mind here than at the United Nations"

"I guess the linesmen don't have to work tomorrow..."

"Mick McGeough is waving his arms so fast, it looks like he is trying to land airplanes."

"His helmet is so big it was made at the Ford plant in Ontario."

He's got his share of witty one-liners.
I've always liked Harry and still do.

He's witty...

I love Neale.

I'm still trying to find this "wit" you guys are talking about. His schtick is bad for an open mic night. He's not funny...at all.

Unlike most playXplay/color teams these days....they are still calling the game.

That doesn't happen in many markets on the US side.

I've noticed this too., especially with the nationally televised games. Almost all color (and bad at that) and very little play by play.

You get the "I had a chance to sit down with blah,blah,blah before the game," and then a 5 minute diatribe while the play goes on.

Harry does have an occasional good line (most of them are awful, dated old man jokes though) and some useful insight but a lot of times he's just pulling out random stats or pinpointing how long a shot was. So I'm not a fan by any means, however as stated I would take him every single time over a Versus commentary team, who go off on tangents constantly and then are rudely interrupted when something happens on the ice that they're forced to acknowledge, like a goal. Then there's all the stupid forced lingo, like the insistence on calling the net a "cage," and the constant reminders about which uniforms the teams are wearing. If you can't recognize the teams without being told they're in the "home blues" 40 times per period then you should be watching something else.

I'm still trying to find this "wit" you guys are talking about. His schtick is bad for an open mic night. He's not funny...at all.

I don't know what I find myself shaking my head at in disbelief more often. The play of the Sabres or the so-called "funnies" Neal is trying to make, well those and his knack for knowing the distance of shots to the foot.

I like Neale. I enjoy that he is not a total homer for the Sabres.

I think what a lot of people are overlooking is the fact that the telecast is for radio and television. RJ has to dominate the play by play because he needs to give the radio audience a good picture. If it was like a normal television broadcast, where the play by play and color guy banter back and forth while play is going on because the viewer can see the action then I think RJ and Neale would do that. I think it is an adjustment for Neale because now he needs to make quick points which mostly are one-liners for him. And truth be told, I find most color guys in every sport to be totally useless. With the advent of replay, most viewers can figure things out for themselves. They mostly just state the obvious.

I like Neale. I enjoy that he is not a total homer for the Sabres.

I think what a lot of people are overlooking is the fact that the telecast is for radio and television. RJ has to dominate the play by play because he needs to give the radio audience a good picture. If it was like a normal television broadcast, where the play by play and color guy banter back and forth while play is going on because the viewer can see the action then I think RJ and Neale would do that. I think it is an adjustment for Neale because now he needs to make quick points which mostly are one-liners for him. And truth be told, I find most color guys in every sport to be totally useless. With the advent of replay, most viewers can figure things out for themselves. They mostly just state the obvious.

Rick would never allow himself to be THAT play by play guy who doesn't call the game. He didn't do it when he was on TV only during Pete Weber's tenure and never will. He has too much respect for the game.

I am so glad you said this - I am with you 1,000%. Not only is he unfunny, but his bad jokes and one-liners are compounded by the countless mistakes he makes identifying the wrong players (...then RJ has to correct him). I have been commenting on this all year in-game. He is just bad, plain & simple.

Harry's fine. Could the real problem be the product on the ice he and RJ have to comment on?

Had a quick talk a while back with Kevin Sylvester. He said when they were on their losing streak he'd be in the locker room saying Come on guys give me something!

The look on his face after the game last night was worth a thousand words.

I don't think he is senile in the least, he is a Canadian who likes the Canadian teams. It's just a job for him, it seems like he isn't interested in the Sabres. It was evidenced early last year when he became the so called "Sabres color man," who acts like a fill in; bridging the gap until we get a Sabres color guy.

I have noticed this year that they are using Rob Ray much more, which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

If I'm not mistaken Harry lives in the US, while Rick lives in Canada...not that that means anything in particular.

I think he's a weak analyst, especially when you consider they're doing a simulcast on radio. Following Lorenz was a near impossible task. I don't think he's evolved at all. With Rick likely retiring soon, they'll need to find a really solid color guy after next year. I can't imagine he'll be back. He seems like a likable chap the Sabres were able to pick up for a low price!

Following Lorenz was a near impossible task.

I don't disagree with you--Lorentz was that good--but here's the problem: If you can't replace Lorentz with a CBC HNiC broadcaster who covered about 20 or so Stanley Cup finals series, well, with whom can you replace Lorentz?

YES, Neale still sux.

We need to find JL, kidnap him, and duct tape him to the seat next to RJ. Scouting parties (to find JL) start in August; spndnchz is bringing the beer, and apparently, the cheese; and PA is going to supervise the project from the Absolut Care facility in Hamburg.

Who's with me?

I don't disagree with you--Lorentz was that good--but here's the problem: If you can't replace Lorentz with a CBC HNiC broadcaster who covered about 20 or so Stanley Cup finals series, well, with whom can you replace Lorentz?

YES, Neale still sux.

We need to find JL, kidnap him, and duct tape him to the seat next to RJ. Scouting parties (to find JL) start in August; spndnchz is bringing the beer, and apparently, the cheese; and PA is going to supervise the project from the Absolut Care facility in Hamburg.

Who's with me?

You had me up until you advised that PA was going to be the Supervisor.... uh, no thanks. Grumpy old men in charge FTL!

Archived