Accountability?

deluca67

If/when this team is eliminated from the playoff race I truly hope their is a level of accountability. Not just the usual verbal "we all need to do our jobs better" bullzhit. I'm hoping for real accountability where changes are made. Changes to the philosophy behind the Sabres current decision making process and changes in those positions charged with making the decisions. 5 out of 7 years without playoffs is a significant amount of failure to justify any and all changes. I post all this fully aware that any hope for accountability is wishful thinking on my part. I unfortunately have this sickening feeling that no amount of failure will have any effect on the love fest other wise known as the Buffalo Sabres front office. TG loves Quinn, Quinn loves Regier, Regier loves Ruff and they all love this sad sack roster of players that have continually proven they have neither the talent nor desire to compete at the NHL higher levels.

Much like when it became apparent that the Bills would retain Jouron I am already losing hope for the following season fearing no changes will be made and status qou will be the overlying theme.

Interesting you post this. Here's an interesting article from the Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/608137.html

It's a Bucky Gleason and given his reporting at the trade deadline, this could be hugely inaccurate, but since he has direct quotes from Larry Quinn, I'd buy it since it would be highly unethical if not illegal for him to make up quotes and attribute them to Larry Quinn. FWIW, don't expect any accountability after this season is over.

Don't know where it'd start. After last night, what level is safe? Is it the players on the ice, the coach, the GM, ownership? They all play a part in it. But it is a trainwreck. They've lost three to Atlanta in similar collapses this year. Factor in losses to Isles and the Ottawa debacles. The good teams have to be asking how they lost to the Sabres. I don't see one move fixing the ills. So where do you start? Luring big free agents has not been their standard operating procedure.Trades are possible but we have a roster of Darcy moves and picks now. Is he the one you want making the moves? Honestly don't know. Right now, I suspect the only changes we'll see is Weber and Gerbe in for Spacek and Max. I don't see that upgrading the team.

Don't know where it'd start. After last night, what level is safe? Is it the players on the ice, the coach, the GM, ownership? They all play a part in it. But it is a trainwreck. They've lost three to Atlanta in similar collapses this year. Factor in losses to Isles and the Ottawa debacles. The good teams have to be asking how they lost to the Sabres. I don't see one move fixing the ills. So where do you start? Luring big free agents has not been their standard operating procedure.Trades are possible but we have a roster of Darcy moves and picks now. Is he the one you want making the moves? Honestly don't know. Right now, I suspect the only changes we'll see is Weber and Gerbe in for Spacek and Max. I don't see that upgrading the team.

God I hope not, but that is essentially what they have done the last two years. They really do need to make some serious changes to the team and I don't think Regier will actually do it. Even if by some slim chance they manage to make the playoffs, this team as constructed will not go anywhere beyond round 1.

It's a Bucky Gleason and given his reporting at the trade deadline, this could be hugely inaccurate, but since he has direct quotes from Larry Quinn, I'd buy it since it would be highly unethical if not illegal for him to make up quotes and attribute them to Larry Quinn. FWIW, don't expect any accountability after this season is over.

I read the column this morning and disagree for the most part. Yes LQ & OSP may have been behind some of the key players getting away, but DR is completely responsible for the makeup of this team which has been a problem for 2 years running and DR has done little to change it.

As far as Lindy goes, as strange as it sounds, sometimes a change is needed despite the quality of the coach.

Bucky also points out that the Sabres have made it to the conference finals 4 times during the DR/LR regime. Whoop de do. They won two rounds in the playoffs and then when they got to the 3rd round, they lost 3 out of 4 times. IMO not making the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years(if it plays out that way) carries much more weight. Also, 2 out of the 4 trips to the conference finals came at the beginning of the regime and had many of the same players from the Nolan era.

Start with the cause........QUINN>

Bucky just won't let it go. He keeps trying to defend himself against what he wrote pre-trade deadline. The more he stirs his sh*t, the more it stinks. Let it go, man. You choked.

That story is the best news I've read in a long time. If he's reporting that DR and LQ (edit: I meant LR) will be back, it must mean they are about to be fired.

The wild card here isn't what LQ thinks, but what OSP thinks. If there are no significant changes in the hockey department, I will have totally misread the guy, and his comments before the season that were tantamount to an ultimatum to make the playoffs, or else. Or else what?

Bucky just won't let it go. He keeps trying to defend himself against what he wrote pre-trade deadline. The more he stirs his sh*t, the more it stinks. Let it go, man. You choked.

That story is the best news I've read in a long time. If he's reporting that DR and LQ will be back, it must mean they are about to be fired.

The wild card here isn't what LQ thinks, but what OSP thinks. If there are no significant changes in the hockey department, I will have totally misread the guy, and his comments before the season that were tantamount to an ultimatum to make the playoffs, or else. Or else what?

Wealthy men hate to be embarrassed. I truly doubt that the hockey department will go unscathed unless OSP has completely removed himself form the decision making process.

A couple of points;

1) DeLuca, you already gave TG an excuse in another thread. If they miss by a couple of points, it will be the Miller injury.

2) Its too early for this thread. I still think it is 50/50 they make the playoffs

3) If you get past the blame part, it is easily assumed that the team wanted to keep Drury and Campbell. Would they have made the playoffs last year with both? How about this year? I think you know where I stand on this issue.

4) Other then Carolina, every other team they are competing with is going to spend over $5 million in actual cash more them them. Was Darcy able to up grade over budget? His last four trades suggest he wasn't.

5) Can you expect Roy, Pominville and Vanek to become better still at closing out games? While you can discuss a variety of problems with this team, better clutch play by those three would have resulted in 5 extra wins conservatively speaking. 8 more points and this team is battling for home ice.

6) Florida blew a two goal lead to Tampa last night. Pittsburgh lost a lead and the game to Ottawa. Montreal lost another game. Buffalo isn't alone in its struggles.

If there was accountablity it would have to start from the ownership..Since he has virtually dissapeared from the planet 2 yrs ago accountablility went out the window..I believe he has alot to do with the on ice failures of this team..IMO he was the one who screwed up the freeagent nightmare of 2 and 3 yrs ago and unless he can fire himself things arent gonna change..They will remain "competitive" and no more..Unless the young players grow up into more than what they are now what you see is what you get...Enjoy.,.....

If there was accountablity it would have to start from the ownership..Since he has virtually dissapeared from the planet 2 yrs ago accountablility went out the window..I believe he has alot to do with the on ice failures of this team..IMO he was the one who screwed up the freeagent nightmare of 2 and 3 yrs ago and unless he can fire himself things arent gonna change..They will remain "competitive" and no more..Unless the young players grow up into more than what they are now what you see is what you get...Enjoy.,.....

It seems that TG has become a silent partner with Quinn playing the role of owner.

Better yet, maybe he finds a buyer that wants to keep the team in Buffalo (i.e. not move them to Canada) and actually wants to win the blasted Stanley Cup. That would actually be a nice change.

Actually.....given the situation...Miller out...Vanek playing back in to shape....dominating a game they should have won...

I would say realistically this team should be about 6 points better.

That's about it. 6 points.

Although hard to watch them dominate a game and lose it....last night came down to two big mistakes.

As hard as that lost point is to stomach it could make quite a difference in the end.

No team really stands out as dominant in this conference or the league.....and more than the Sabres,

this is what the NHL product is looking like given the cap age. 7 teams in the East within 8 points for 5 playoff spots.

Although you may think it is an accountability issue, what you are seeing from the Sabres has much more to do with the league's policy of homogenization than anything extraordinarily bad going wrong with the club.

Actually.....given the situation...Miller out...Vanek playing back in to shape....dominating a game they should have won...

Although hard to watch them dominate a game and lose it....last night came down to two big mistakes.

As hard as that lost point is to stomach it could make quite a difference in the end.

No team really stands out as dominant in this conference or the league.....and more than the Sabres,

this is what the NHL product is looking like given the cap age. 7 teams in the East within 8 points for 5 playoff spots.

Although you may think it is an accountability issue, what you are seeing from the Sabres has much more to do with the league's policy of homogenization than anything extraordinarily bad going wrong with the club.

There has to be some accountability, but I can't even muster the strength to be angry or outraged anymore. I've accepted that without a few "big" changes, this is exactly what we are going to get out of this team - a lot of games where they play poorly, a lot of games where they play well but make a couple bonehead plays to blow the game, with some streaks of good play mixed in.

Must be a glitch with the board lately - I've seen more double posts in the last couple days than I can remember seeing over the last year or so.

I don't disagree that there is more parity due to the cap, but to me that's an easy excuse for making bad decisions with free agents and personnel, and for hanging on to players/giving them more chances longer than they should have. Fact is this team, as it is currently constructed, is exactly where it should be in terms of production - a bubble playoff team who, depending on the rest of the conference, could be as good as high as 6th or as low as 10th in the East.

FWIW - the 6 points you mentioned would put them in 5th place.

I don't disagree that there is more parity due to the cap, but to me that's an easy excuse for making bad decisions with free agents and personnel, and for hanging on to players/giving them more chances longer than they should have. Fact is this team, as it is currently constructed, is exactly where it should be in terms of production - a bubble playoff team who, depending on the rest of the conference, could be as good as high as 6th or as low as 10th in the East.

FWIW - the 6 points you mentioned would put them in 5th place.

I think you say it pretty well, really....

Given that free agency is not going to be their market....and I am extremely glad they stayed away from this 2008 crop...

I forget who I was listening to the other day saying "bust, bust, waived, bust, waived....."

http://www.sportscity.com/NHL/NHL-Free-Age...-Position-2008/

(Except I really wanted them to add Metropolit)

Although I for the most part agree with the personnel moves.......the one that really got away for reasonable money (yes, hat tip to Tom Webster) was JP Dumont.

Given that free agency is not going to be their market....and I am extremely glad they stayed away from this 2008 crop...

I forget who I was listening to the other day saying "bust, bust, waived, bust, waived....."

Although I for the most part agree with the personnel moves.......the one that really got away for reasonable money (yes, hat tip to Tom Webster) was JP Dumont.

XB, thank you for posting that link. Anyone out there, who thinks the Sabres are cheap, who also wants to comment on 39M/6 for Redden? $5M for Blake or $whatever for Foote? How are those teams doing--they're all Cup contenders, right? Should we have nailed down Naslund at $4M per? Or Demitra? How's that Satan contract looking in Pittsburgh--oops, I meant Wilkes-Barre?

There are value guys on that list who aren't Sabres, but that has nothing to do with alleged cheapness. (EDIT) Would we really be happier here with Campbell at $7M/yr or McKee at $4M?

(EDIT) No and no. What's missing is real scouting--but the defenders of video scouting seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, XB's list, together with Drury's on-ice performance this year and Briere's on-La-Z-Boy performance this year, was a great reminder that management sometimes actually knows what it's doing.

EDIT: And of course, there's the logo and the blaring of Ting Ting or whatever over the loudspeakers, which are great reminders that sometimes, management doesn't.

XB, thank you for posting that link. Anyone out there, who thinks the Sabres are cheap, who also wants to comment on 39M/6 for Redden? $5M for Blake or $whatever for Foote? How are those teams doing--they're all Cup contenders, right? Should we have nailed down Naslund at $4M per? Or Demitra? How's that Satan contract looking in Pittsburgh--oops, I meant Wilkes-Barre?

There are value guys on that list who aren't Sabres, but that has nothing to do with alleged cheapness.

That list, together with Drury's on-ice performance this year and Briere's on-La-Z-Boy performance this year, was a great reminder that management sometimes actually knows what it's doing.

Oh no you di'int

For me, it's not about being more or less active in free agency. My issue is more about the guys they've kept versus who they've let go. While it seems the Sabres have learned their lesson and have gotten guys locked up before hitting their UFA year, I still have questions about guys they've locked up long-term and who is still on the roster.

As for that list - there are guys on there who I would have loved to have in Buffalo (and a few I even lobbied for) but not at the contracts they got on the market. I do believe there are always bargains to be found, however, and I think this summer there will be some guys available, either through waivers or trade, as teams try to get under what everyone seems to be in agreement will be a lower salary cap. Whether we'll be active in reshaping the roster or not remains to be seen, but I'd hope that they realize that they can't just rely on the youngsters to not only fill in but be an improvement over what we currently have.

There are value guys on that list who aren't Sabres, but that has nothing to do with alleged cheapness. (EDIT) Would we really be happier here with Campbell at $7M/yr or McKee at $4M?

(EDIT) No and no. What's missing is real scouting--but the defenders of video scouting seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, XB's list, together with Drury's on-ice performance this year and Briere's on-La-Z-Boy performance this year, was a great reminder that management sometimes actually knows what it's doing.

EDIT: And of course, there's the logo and the blaring of Ting Ting or whatever over the loudspeakers, which are great reminders that sometimes, management doesn't.

Of course that ignores the fact that management admits that they wanted to keep Drury and offered Campbell a 6 year contract and gave Jochen Hecht $3.8 million, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

Archived