GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Dominic Moore vs. the Sens this year:

Game 1 - second star, scored a goal

Game 2 - fought Jason Smith

Game 3 - scored a goal, agitated Spezza into spearing him (both penalized)

Game 4 - got an assist, had run-in with Heatley

More often than not, his line was matched up against the Pizza line and he appears to make them mad. They only scored one goal (actually, the big three only assisted on it) while he was on the ice and that was the only goal that Ottawa scored while he was on.

Dominic Moore vs. the Sens this year:

Game 1 - second star, scored a goal

Game 2 - fought Jason Smith

Game 3 - scored a goal, agitated Spezza into spearing him (both penalized)

Game 4 - got an assist, had run-in with Heatley

More often than not, his line was matched up against the Pizza line and he appears to make them mad. They only scored one goal (actually, the big three only assisted on it) while he was on the ice and that was the only goal that Ottawa scored while he was on.

Put him with Kaleta and someone else (dare I say Max, being the back-checker he has been the past two games) and have that line cover the Pizza line.

before y'all get too excited about the game tonight...bear in mind that a visiting team, playing the second of back-to-backs against a rested home team...has a very low win percentage.

Tellquist will have to steal this one.

Fact of the matter is that a post-lockout NHL team has historically required 97 points to absolutely guarantee itself of a playoff spot. Sabres have 73 points with 17 games left, which translates to a 12-5 record needed down the stretch...ignoring OT losses for the sake of simplicity. When you look at the teams we're facing in these remaining 17 games, you can divide them into 3 categories:

A. Likely playoff teams whom the Sabres probably can't catch (6 games):

Boston

Washington

New Jersey

Detroit

Philadelphia X 2

B. Teams fighting with the Sabres for playoff spots (5 games):

Florida X 2

NY Rangers

Carolina

Montreal

C. Teams likely not making the playoffs (6 games):

Atlanta X 2

Toronto X 2

Ottawa X 2

Feel free to ponder all the combination wins/losses needed to make the playoffs, but to me it would seem that the Sabres (and their fans) should be treating every Category 'C' game as a "must win" situation, given how easy/likely it would be to accumulate 5 losses in the Category 'A' and 'B' games.

I like to harken back to the days of KFC's Disgruntled Assistant Manager with IBS Bowl.

John Murphy slipped in the fish the other night when doing the highlights of a Lalime save. "Lalime said gimme back that Filet O' Fish." :)

:sick: Thanks for reminding about those crappy KFC bowls.

Don't these guys get flu shots?

The way they share water bottles on the bench, it's no surprise how easily it spreads.

I imagine they do, but the flu shot is a "best guess" at which strains will be most prevalent each year, so it's not surprising that athletes still get sick, what with all the travel all over the continent and odd hours on road trips and whatnot.

Good news, though - scientists are getting closer to a universal vaccine.

There is no doubt. Our record of making the playoffs while there is a popular fish commercial on tv is impecable...

Let us not forget 2 yrs ago...

"We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning."

They should bring that commercial back for an encore performance once or twice during the year. I actually enjoyed that one for a while (until they started airing it way too much)

Fact of the matter is that a post-lockout NHL team has historically required 97 points to absolutely guarantee itself of a playoff spot.

Since the lockout, no Eastern Conference team with at least 93 points has failed to make the playoffs. Two of the three post-lockout years have seen EC teams with 92 points make the playoffs.

As a side note, Carolina last year and Colorado the year before are the only two teams with at least 43 wins that have failed to make the playoffs. There have been 3 teams with 41 wins and the Islanders two years ago at 40 wins that made the playoffs.

Since the lockout, no Eastern Conference team with at least 93 points has failed to make the playoffs. Two of the three post-lockout years have seen EC teams with 92 points make the playoffs.

As a side note, Carolina last year and Colorado the year before are the only two teams with at least 43 wins that have failed to make the playoffs. There have been 3 teams with 41 wins and the Islanders two years ago at 40 wins that made the playoffs.

I don't know about all of that, but boy, I sure hope the Sabres win tonight. It's fun when they win.

Okay, but last year alone a theoretical EC team with 93 points would have missed the playoffs.

My basic point was that 97 points (or 96 points with at least 44 wins) has been the only historical (since the introduction of the NHL's "no tie" rule) guarantee of making the playoffs. The 06-07 Avalanche finished with 95 points and missed the playoffs; they were the NHL analogy to the NFL's 2008 Patriots who finished 11-5 and also missed the playoffs.

Okay, but last year alone a theoretical EC team with 93 points would have missed the playoffs.

My basic point was that 97 points (or 96 points with at least 44 wins) has been the only historical (since the introduction of the NHL's "no tie" rule) guarantee of making the playoffs. The 06-07 Avalanche finished with 95 points and missed the playoffs; they were the NHL analogy to the NFL's 2008 Patriots who finished 11-5 and also missed the playoffs.

Now you're just reiterating what you said. I wasn't arguing with you, I was just showing a different interpretation. 06-07 was odd, with the top 7 Western Conference teams all topping the century mark in points. I can guarantee you that's not going to happen in the Eastern Conference this year.

These guys have cost us enough -- 5 points in three losses, Vanek for nine games -- time to stop the bleeding against them and take our two points. I've liked the team that I've seen in the past two games. It's defensively sound, offensively clicking and all-round hard to play against. Keep it up.

This is another game-in-hand (against Pitt and Carolina) that we have to take advantage of. It's also an opportunity to pass the idle Rangers and tie the idle Canadiens, both of whom are playing top teams tomorrow that have been struggling as of late. Carolina is playing Tampa and Florida is playing St. Louis tonight. Those teams will likely take care of their "should win" games, because that's what playoff teams do. We have to take care of ours for a change.

before y'all get too excited about the game tonight...bear in mind that a visiting team, playing the second of back-to-backs against a rested home team...has a very low win percentage.

Tellquist will have to steal this one.

Please for the love of god shut down heatley/alfy/spezza!!!We do that, we win! GO SABRES!!!
I don't know about all of that, but boy, I sure hope the Sabres win tonight. It's fun when they win.

Bolded all the best of the rest I agreed with. I am really interested to see how we handle this one, impossible odds, low probability of success but thats why we play them anything can happen..... and when it does, good mojo and momentum follow and thats' exactly what you want to have happen at this time of year :thumbsup: ....

Playing for the right to the prize now Boys, doesn't get any better than that. Do us sabres fans proud. ... GO Buffalo.... Lets just Get R done :chris:

Please get the first goal... It's more fun to watch when that happens...

Am I the only one that loves the Ottawa-Buffalo games but absolutely dreads them too???

Nope , I'm the same don't know what it is about them. Maybe it's the history but I know I hate us losing to them...

Archived