Steve Downie suspended twenty games

millbank

Can't watch it in America.

youtube has it though.

I don't think you can clearly say he was trying to hit the ref either. You can see him look back as if he were trying to play the puck back hard. This could just be a case of the ref getting in the way. If anyone else had done it this wouldn't have gotten them 20 games.

Can't watch it in America.

youtube has it though.

I don't think you can clearly say he was trying to hit the ref either. You can see him look back as if he were trying to play the puck back hard. This could just be a case of the ref getting in the way. If anyone else had done it this wouldn't have gotten them 20 games.

Doh, youtube link has been removed within the last few minutes. I saw it (before it was yanked) and Downie probably got jobbed, unless things were said on-ice.

edit :
provided by d4rksabre :)

I think there is room for appeal on this one. If this is not Steve Downie opinions would be much different. I don't see it as absolutely clear he intended to hit official.

I would like to know the events leading up to that. But if he were indeed jsut trying to win the faceoff... what good would hacking at it do? Sending it flying into your own zone like a dump in? Weird.

what downie did on the faceoff didn't look natural - didn't look remotely like a hockey play, to me.

and there's presumably some history. check this out for starters (the comment is probably the best take):

http://otr.blastmagazine.com/2009/03/02/st...lashes-referee/

Former forward for the Philadelphia Flyers and Tampa Bay Lightning Steve Downie decided to slash a referee in the shin last night during an AHL game.

According to Hershey broadcaster John Walton:

?The two teams came to center ice for the face-off, and Downie stepped into the face-off circle. Linesman (Mike) Hamilton prepared to drop the puck. Instead of trying to win the face-off, Downie took a baseball-like swing with full wind-up and struck Hamilton across the right shin. Watching the replay no less than 20 times myself during the postgame, I was appalled not only at the lack of respect for an official, but the sheer violence from one man to another.?

For this brutal act, Downie received a game misconduct and could face a 20-game suspension for ?physical abuse of an official.?

Comments

2 Responses to ?Steve Downie slashes referee?

b on March 2nd, 2009 7:35 pm

I was at the game Saturday. Everyone in the building saw what happened, yet Norfolk GM Butters has claimed the mantle of propagandist/apologist from that wretched c@nt, Bobby Clarke.

But he would know, he watched the replay ?20 times? in stop frame. Apparently it showed something completely different from what we all saw.

not to argue, i have heard similar takes , but just looking at video I don't see it. I think opinions are more based on who did this than the action itself. Talking heads are all lining up giving the same take.

This is keeping in mind it is most difficult to not keep in mind as to who is doing the action and that past actions do give a person some slack or no, we at times reap what we sow....

what downie did on the faceoff didn't look natural - didn't look remotely like a hockey play, to me.

and there's presumably some history. check this out for starters (the comment is probably the best take):

http://otr.blastmagazine.com/2009/03/02/st...lashes-referee/

Former forward for the Philadelphia Flyers and Tampa Bay Lightning Steve Downie decided to slash a referee in the shin last night during an AHL game.

According to Hershey broadcaster John Walton:

?The two teams came to center ice for the face-off, and Downie stepped into the face-off circle. Linesman (Mike) Hamilton prepared to drop the puck. Instead of trying to win the face-off, Downie took a baseball-like swing with full wind-up and struck Hamilton across the right shin. Watching the replay no less than 20 times myself during the postgame, I was appalled not only at the lack of respect for an official, but the sheer violence from one man to another.?

For this brutal act, Downie received a game misconduct and could face a 20-game suspension for ?physical abuse of an official.?

Comments

2 Responses to ?Steve Downie slashes referee?

b on March 2nd, 2009 7:35 pm

I was at the game Saturday. Everyone in the building saw what happened, yet Norfolk GM Butters has claimed the mantle of propagandist/apologist from that wretched c@nt, Bobby Clarke.

But he would know, he watched the replay ?20 times? in stop frame. Apparently it showed something completely different from what we all saw.

Wow, Ouch..... hard to tell intent though so I agree with a few who say maybe overall tone of the game and some other incidents over the course of the game support the conclusion.

I will say the one fans comment "Rangers should pick him up any day now" made me LOL. :lol:

i don't care how bad the call by any ref or even a ref that baits a player with his mouth, using your stick on another person is small, weak, and criminal. there was no intent to play the puck here - get him out of the game for good.

not to argue
wait, what?! argue away. (just be aware: i may slash you in the shin.)

but just looking at video I don't see it.
it's not the greatest angle or resolution, i admit.

we at times reap what we sow....
absolutely. there's no doubt that who this young guy has shown himself to be has everything to do with the interpreation of what he did and the punishment for it.

there was no intent to play the puck here
that's how i saw it. even if it wasn't totally clear that he meant to hack the linesman, it was clear enough that he wasn't trying to win that draw. and if he's giving his stick a good hard swing without an intent to play the puck, then what's he doing on the dot? swatting flies? <_<

you may slash me in the shin, eh..... :o :lol:

Simply Downie is paying for past deeds and reputation. He is not going to get benefit of doubt . If 99% of players do the same thing this a none issue with folks at worst commenting player must handle stick much more carefully.

Downie clearly a over the top player, a dangerous one to other players and to the game itself for his over the top antics and disrespectful play.

If this video was simply entitled unknown player gets 20 game suspension, opinions would be entirely different. Downie a guy who based on his conduct to date, is a bomb waiting to explode and cause some tragic damage, i suppose one could argue, if he meant to slash official or not, the game better such a player lost his privilege to play game.

Having said all that , just don't see what he did in this video as just means for suspension. Hockey has had its super pests over the years, players that play on the edge , Downie like Sean Avery play not on the edge but over it. If this suspension in my view a wrong one, facilitates either a dangerous player getting help and changing his ways or being removed from game, this suspension for the obvious good.

oh my goodness, you are getting me all mad and huffy and stuff :o ..... :lol: :blush:

(not much on debating just a poor old farmer...)

wait, what?! argue away. (just be aware: i may slash you in the shin.)

it's not the greatest angle or resolution, i admit.

absolutely. there's no doubt that who this young guy has shown himself to be has everything to do with the interpreation of what he did and the punishment for it.

that's how i saw it. even if it wasn't totally clear that he meant to hack the linesman, it was clear enough that he wasn't trying to win that draw. and if he's giving his stick a good hard swing without an intent to play the puck, then what's he doing on the dot? swatting flies? <_<

Archived