What would make the Arena experience better?

spndnchz

Aside from the on-ice play...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be improved, or added?

• mascot
    • music
    • food
    • pad ALL the seats
    • ice-girls
    • ban glass banging
    • larger bathrooms
    • ticket price
    • more prizes/giveaways
    • more beer choices
    • more 'flashy' media

LESS flashy media!

And something has to be done about the food. Seriously. Did Jacobs buy the team or something? With all the great food around here, we have to serve Sportservice stuff (even if it's under another brand name)?

Beer is fine the way it is, for me. I don't drink much of it. But I wouldn't mind a couple more bars at the arena where I can get a decent drink before the game.

And here's one that would just make money for the team: how about a small convenience store? Somewhere to go for Pepcid AC (often needed after eating the Sportservice food), or cold medicine, Kleenex, maybe a better range of feminine products than are offered at guest services, etc. They can charge more than 7-11 does, and they'll make a killing.

They are now serving pizza under the "just pizza" brand name, but the stuff they were making in house in prior years was better IMO. The stuff now tastes like the frozen cardboard crap you can get in tops or wegmans. :thumbdown: Also, get rid of coke products and bring back pepsi! :angry:

One thing you didn't mention which bugs the hell out of me and is common place now at all NBA and NHL games and even more of a joke at Bandits games...the screaming PA announcer. What I wouldn't give to have a Milt Ellis type back behind the mic.

They are now serving pizza under the "just pizza" brand name, but the stuff they were making in house in prior years was better IMO. The stuff now tastes like the frozen cardboard crap you can get in tops or wegmans. :thumbdown: Also, get rid of coke products and bring back pepsi! :angry:

One thing you didn't mention which bugs the hell out of me and is common place now at all NBA and NHL games and even more of a joke at Bandits games...the screaming PA announcer. What I wouldn't give to have a Milt Ellis type back behind the mic.

Pizza--it's the same stuff they were serving before. Seems that Just Pizza foolishly licensed its name to the Arena without any control over the product.

Coke--it's one of the very few places in this town that serves The Real Thing. Leave it alone!

Announcer--Couldn't agree more. I liked the classy, understated tone of Ellis a lot. There's no need for an announcer to be a cheerleader.

Music - It seems like the same music "selections" have been used at the Arena for years with the exception of a few newer (and crappy) songs from year to year. Every other NHL arena seems to play better music during games. Ditch the overplayed "pump it up ice anthems", like Cotton Eye Joe, Tom Sawyer, Raise a Little Hell, etc. And it is it me, or is the organ music getting less frequent these days?

Beer - More beer selection would be nice... for the entire arena, not just the 200 level. Especially when paying $7.75 per pint.

Ice Girls - Yes, of course the pig in me wouldn't mind it. Don't think it's going to happen though, since the tv time out ice maintenance effort has been turned into a friggin' advertisement.

A winning product on the ice makes you forget everything else.

Some random thoughts if i have to be picky...

-I do hate the new (since the lockout) announcer. I loved the guy they had in between Uncle Miltie and the assclown they have now. Nothing irks me more than the guy yelling "NOW LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEYEYYEYEYEYYYYY" Seriously? It makes us seem hokey in the same way its hokey in places like Nashville or Florida to announce icings. (listen closely, the announcer does say icing) I'm happy that he doesn't yell "ITS ANOTHER SABRES POWER PLAY!!!" I think the Buffalo Sabre fan is intelligent enough to know when to cheer and knows game situations.

However, the guy for the Bandits is awesome... Its a second tier sport... he's like the 6th man for them.

-I think our organ sucks. It sounds like crap. I'd love more of a Chicago Stadium/United Center type sound. Even Air Canada Center or MSG has a classic sounding organ. Ours sounds like Devo or some #%^$#!.

-The concession stand people are horrendous and take forever, but what do you expect with minimum wage staff?

-As noted earlier, the music is terrible.

-HSBC Arena should have a real bar. There is so much dead space on the west end of the Arena behind the Sabres Store that is used for banquets or Bandits pregame parties. Headlines is alright, but the actual bar area is tiny. Anyone been to Wachovia Center? One of the main entrances puts you right into a HUGE bar. It could be a destination before or after games.

-Do the little kids play hockey anymore? Whatever happened to Chevy Scoro? I remember being on the ice around thanksgiving at the Aud to try to win a turkey. Why not have those promotions anymore? Maybe I liked it because I was a kid.

definitely need some new music, had it with the same old songs year after year.

idiots banging on the glass can take a hike also. make it like ottawa where they throw people out for doing that.

also, get rid of the slug! i know i'll start a firestorm here but i miss the goathead jerseys. just the regular home and away not the plate and butterknives red third jerseys. i know they'll never come back but they were awesome imo

I can still hear him saying...."with tenor Joe Byron and organist Norm Wullen"

It distracts everyone in your section not to mention thousands of viewers. It is a self-serving, childish act that should be banned from all arenas.

Nothing screams "look at me, I'm a douchebag who needs everyone's attention" like banging on the glass. This jackass is usually one section over from his obnoxious cousin, Mr. "Can You See Me Waving at the Camera and Talking on My Cell Phone" Guy.

Nothing screams "look at me, I'm a douchebag who needs everyone's attention" like banging on the glass. This jackass is usually one section over from his obnoxious cousin, Mr. "Can You See Me Waving at the Camera and Talking on My Cell Phone" Guy.

These people are why my child knows what the "F" word is........

Archived