GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

If you have to give up a three goal lead, twice, that's they way to respond.

Personal preference, but to me, "giving up a three goal lead twice" means leading by three, letting the other team tie it up, getting back up by three and letting them tie it up again. While, technically, going from a three goal lead to a two goal lead does end the three goal lead, I wouldn't say that they "gave up a three goal lead" when it became 3-1. The lead has been narrowed, but not given up. Otherwise, when it became 4-2, they had "given up the three goal lead twice." Again, just a matter of taste.

No disagreement that since the start of the new year he's been very good, but the last couple games he's been just a little off with his timing and positioning, giving up 8 goals on 58 shots against. A day off to rest and recharge probably wouldn't hurt, unless we're planning on burning him out now and hoping he has something left in the tank for the stretch run.

The rest of the month has 1 day off between each game. Maybe Lalime gets 1-2 starts by the end of February - 7 games.

Personal preference, but to me, "giving up a three goal lead twice" means leading by three, letting the other team tie it up, getting back up by three and letting them tie it up again. While, technically, going from a three goal lead to a goal lead does end the three goal lead, I wouldn't say that they "gave up a three goal lead" when it became 3-1. The lead has been narrowed, but not given up. Otherwise, when it became 4-2, they had "given up the three goal lead twice." Again, just a matter of taste.

This is of a piece with your code of regulations on the forward line descriptions. A stickler for precision, eh? I expect Lindy would appreciate the attention to detail.

This is of a piece with your code of regulations on the forward line descriptions. A stickler for precision, eh? I expect Lindy would appreciate the attention to detail.

As an academic, I have to be. Here, though, it was the second time that somebody had said that (the other was on a different forum) and both times it sounded wrong; worse than it actually was. Blowing a three goal lead once is bad, but twice should be doubly bad.

After looking at the replays posted on Page 10, I have to say that I can remember back when Drury and Briere were here, and in situations like last night, you just knew the Sabres would tie it up.

Last night was different. We hoped they would tie it up, but I don't think we (or at least I) expected it. From the reactions on the ice, I think the team felt that way about it too. From that standpoint, I think the team captured a little bit of magic or karma or lightning in a bottle last night. No, you can't expect to win a game like that, but it's knowing that you can that keeps the team working against all odds. If the choice was taking from one point from Ottawa (in two games) and two from SJ, I'd rather have that, than taking three of four from Ottawa and losing to SJ.

I think the team got some of the old excitement back yesterday. They will need that over the next few weeks until ol' glass-jaw Vanek returns. Assuming they hang in there, standings-wise, I think they'll have a great run at it when TV returns.

Lalime could play against the Maple Leafs on Tuesday and, possibly, the Duck on the 24th. The three four-point games (Carolina, Rangers and Hurricanes) are too important.

Not related... I was curious... How come we play PHX, DET, and ANA TWICE this year... I still can't figure out the method to how we play Western Conference games... Is there a set formula? No CHI twice, they are in the same division as DET.

??

The rest of the month has 1 day off between each game. Maybe Lalime gets 1-2 starts by the end of February - 7 games.

Well Lalime's got to get a couple games in the rest of the way. We have four games in seven nights this week, and 7 in 15 nights. If Lalime doesn't get at least two games we'll likely be looking at the same thing we saw last year, which is a tired, sloppy Miller down the stretch.

Well Lalime's got to get a couple games in the rest of the way. We have four games in seven nights this week, and 7 in 15 nights. If Lalime doesn't get at least two games we'll likely be looking at the same thing we saw last year, which is a tired, sloppy Miller down the stretch.

Good point.

Play Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalal-lime!!!!! :beer:

Good point.

Play Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalal-lime!!!!! :beer:

More so because of tonight's outcomes... The heat is a little off... Even know the CAR game is not really "expendable" because they are so close... They did lose today... Same with the PENS... THANKS LEAFS AND BJACKETS!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not related... I was curious... How come we play PHX, DET, and ANA TWICE this year... I still can't figure out the method to how we play Western Conference games... Is there a set formula? No CHI twice, they are in the same division as DET.

Simple answer is that, with the new number of divisional, conference and (minimum) league matchups, the season should be 79 games, not 82.

We play the following:

Divisional opponents 6 times: 4 x 6 = 24

Conference opponents 4 times: 10 x 4 = 40 (excludes divisional)

League opponents (at least) 1 time: 15 x 1 = 15 (excludes in-conference)

Total = 79 games

So, unless they wanted to shorten the season by three games, they had to give everyone three more non-conference games. Our "lucky" draw was Detroit, Anaheim and Phoenix.

Simple answer is that, with the new number of divisional, conference and (minimum) league matchups, the season should be 79 games, not 82.

We play the following:

Total = 79 games

So, unless they wanted to shorten the season by three games, they had to give everyone three more non-conference games. Our "lucky" draw was Detroit, Anaheim and Phoenix.

Thanks! Did they actually have a lottery for those games??? Would have been nice to not play DET twice since we didn't make the playoffs last year! :chris:

Thanks! Did they actually have a lottery for those games??? Would have been nice to not play DET twice since we didn't make the playoffs last year! :chris:

Don't know. I asked myself the same question (as your first one) when I saw we played Detroit twice, ran the numbers on matchups and verified that my hunch was correct. I have no official confirmation, but it seems to fit.

Don't know. I asked myself the same question (as your first one) when I saw we played Detroit twice, ran the numbers on matchups and verified that my hunch was correct. I have no official confirmation, but it seems to fit.

Chances are they just threw the season formula into their computer, and it coughed out the current schedule?

We play the following:

Total = 79 games

For the extra three non-conference games, I think it would make most sense to have them be against the team that was positioned the same divisionally the previous year. That is, because Buffalo was 4th in the Northeast division, the three extra games would come against the three 4th place teams in the West: Columbus, Edmonton, and Phoenix. It would work kind of like the NFL does for the 2 extra games in their schedule.

For the extra three non-conference games, I think it would make most sense to have them be against the team that was positioned the same divisionally the previous year. That is, because Buffalo was 4th in the Northeast division, the three extra games would come against the three 4th place teams in the West: Columbus, Edmonton, and Phoenix. It would work kind of like the NFL does for the 2 extra games in their schedule.

That's way too easy and makes too much sense. This league never will go for it.

Ya... That was exactly my thinking... But the league would never do that, too easy as Eleven said!

Actually CHI missed the playoffs last year... Why not them?

Archived