GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

7:30 start. Wednesday's game was really disturbing. Anyone want to stand in front of the net, tonight?

From the sounds of it, Matt Ellis is going to give it a go. Go Matt! Stafford, too.

I'm not expecting anything good to come out of this evening's game. San Jose is a awesome team.

Stafford has to be the man in front of the net, tonight. He's one of the few Sabres who can take a beating and slam home the rebounds.

Buffalo's power play is going to HURT w/ out Vanek.

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD, San Hose at Buffalo 2/13/09

Aww man, and I thought this thread was about a holy garden hose visiting Buffalo.

:ph34r:

That'll teach me to hurry. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Fixed.

Is there any chance at all that this game gets postponed until tomorrow, in light of the tragedy that just occurred? Neither team plays tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken alot of the people in the Sabres organization live in Clarence. Is this at all a possibility? I just know that if I had tickets I would not be in the mood to go have fun at a Sabres game tonight, when so many of my Buffalo neighbors (and fellow Sabres fans) are dealing with this horrible tragedy (I'm referring to the family members and friends of the deceased).

If the game does continue (which I think it will), it seems like it would be a pretty subdued crowd tonight. I wonder if there will be any sort of ceremony or something like that, besides the usual "moment of silence". Or do you guys think it will just be a normal game?

Stafford has to be the man in front of the net, tonight. He's one of the few Sabres who can take a beating and slam home the rebounds.

Buffalo's power play is going to HURT w/ out Vanek.

I agree. Stafford has all the tools to be very good in that spot. He's about the same size as Vanek, is arguably more willing to use his body and has very good hands. There's a learning curve to playing that position on the PP and he seemed to be moving up it as the game went on. If he can get up it quickly, then we might be OK. As for Ellis, he'll be on the second unit, so will see less time there. He doesn't have great hand, but certainly will be willing stand in there and take a beating. This could be a key to tonight, but we also need to stay out of the box. That should be a little easier with Weber back in Portland. :death:

On paper, we should lose this game. San Jose is the best team in arguably the better conference. If they want to show that they can play without Vanek and Goose, tonight is the night to show it.

If the game does continue (which I think it will), it seems like it would be a pretty subdued crowd tonight. I wonder if there will be any sort of ceremony or something like that, besides the usual "moment of silence". Or do you guys think it will just be a normal game?

This crash is shocking to everyone in WNY, but I don't see a reason to postpone the game because of it. As far as a "ceremony" goes, what did you have in mind beyond a "moment of silence"? It seems to be the perfect way to honor those who perished in the crash.

Ryane Clowe and Dan Boyle aren't playing tonight, both out with a bad flu.

That could be good or bad for the Sabres (beyond the obvious.) Good because if two are out, then others may be feeling the early effects. Bad because they might catch something during the game that could affect this team in the next couple of games. Certainly, for tonight, it should be a good thing.

Clowe is a big, physical forward who has been nearly a point-per-game player this year and already has 20 goals. Boyle is a great offensive defenseman that is a big part of their PP. He's put up 0.8 points-per-game and has 13 goals. I don't know if that's a fair trade for Vanek and Gaustad, but it certainly helps even the odds some.

Paetsch is a scratch along with Peters, so I assume Paille is in.

On a good note, Spach said they are playing hard tonight to do something good for the city of Buffalo today. Let's hope. It won't replace 50 lives by any means :cry: but it would be nice.

This crash is shocking to everyone in WNY, but I don't see a reason to postpone the game because of it. As far as a "ceremony" goes, what did you have in mind beyond a "moment of silence"? It seems to be the perfect way to honor those who perished in the crash.

Yeah I suppose you're right. I didn't have anything else in mind, and a moment of silence is definitely appropriate.

Paetsch is a scratch along with Peters, so I assume Paille is in.

I'm sorry to hear that. I thought Paetsch was doing a good job lately. I guess Butler is still filling in for Tallinder - or what? Spacho, Rivet, Lydman, Butler, Sekera, Teppo all healthy now. What happens when Tallinder comes back, do we carry 8 D men?

What about scratching Gerbe and putting Paetsch on the fourth line?

Archived