Definition of natural hat trick

PASabreFan

A natural hat trick can be different from just a hat trick.

Right, but his point was that the definition is always "3 ______ in a game":

(Standard) hat trick = 3 goals in a game

Natural hat trick = 3 goals in a row in a game

Gordie Howe hat trick = 3 events (goal, assist, fight) in a game

I agree.

Right, but his point was that the definition is always "3 ______ in a game":

(Standard) hat trick = 3 goals in a game

Natural hat trick = 3 goals in a row in a game

Gordie Howe hat trick = 3 events (goal, assist, fight) in a game

I agree.

Got it. I misunderstood.

I've always gone by the three consecutive in one period label, but since that's pretty rare, I can live with the "in one game" part. Really, I was hoping that Vanek was going to add a 4th the other day just so he could kill any possible was it or wasn't it discussion.

I've always gone by the three consecutive in one period label, but since that's pretty rare, I can live with the "in one game" part. Really, I was hoping that Vanek was going to add a 4th the other day just so he could kill any possible was it or wasn't it discussion.

Since the stat guys were saying that Vanek had tied someone from the 1920's for the record number of consecutive natural hat tricks, 4, the "in a game" definition seems to be the accepted one.

Since the stat guys were saying that Vanek had tied someone from the 1920's for the record number of consecutive natural hat tricks, 4, the "in a game" definition seems to be the accepted one.

Kind of like how football announcers don't actually know what a reverse or double reverse is.

Kind of like how football announcers don't actually know what a reverse or double reverse is.

TMQ on ESPN's Page2 is always railing about this, and he's dead on. All those idiots have to do is count the number of handoffs/pitches and the change in direction. One pitch/handoff = end around. Two = reverse. Three = double reverse.

TMQ on ESPN's Page2 is always railing about this, and he's dead on. All those idiots have to do is count the number of handoffs/pitches and the change in direction. One pitch/handoff = end around. Two = reverse. Three = double reverse.

Most of the announcers can't count that high.

Or announcers don't realize that when the other team scores, they have now ANSWERED the other team's scores.

"So-and-so was up 3-0, and then the whoz-a-ma-call-its, scored 17 unanswered. It's now 17-13." :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

No, the whoz-a-ma-call-its had 17 consecutive points, as soon as the so-and-so's got their next points, the 17 had been answered. If the score's still 17-13 the whoz-a-ma-call-its so-and-so's 10 are (currently) unanswered. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Or announcers don't realize that when the other team scores, they have now ANSWERED the other team's scores.

"So-and-so was up 3-0, and then the whoz-a-ma-call-its, scored 17 unanswered. It's now 17-13." :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

No, the whoz-a-ma-call-its had 17 consecutive points, as soon as the so-and-so's got their next points, the 17 had been answered. If the score's still 17-13 the whoz-a-ma-call-its 10 are (currently) unanswered. :doh: :doh: :doh:

I always hated the "unanswered points" references in print stories, so when I'm covering a game I really try to avoid that term altogether unless a team scores XX points in a row to end the game. If I do use the term I qualify it (17 unanswered points to end the first half) or I term it sort of like a basketball run, but I really try to limit the use of the "unanswered points" term.

Three consecutive goals by one player in a game... or in a period?

Three consecutive goals in a period. The only one I can remember in Sabres history is by Paul Cyr against the Bruins back in the 80's. The Sabres won 3-0 I think and he scored all three goals in the third. I am old so I may be way off on this.

I believe I'm older. I don't think there's any dispute about three in succession, uninterrupted by the opposition, and in one game. I have always understood it to mean in the same PERIOD, as well. However, this board and my 'google' results tell me the "same PERDIOD" requirement ISN'T applied as often as it IS applied.

I'm old school ... I believe the goals need to be in one period. I missed the game the other night, but when I saw "natural hat trick" in the paper the next day, I assumed the Vanek goals were in the same period.

I'd be interested to see how news sources in Canada described the event. Many of those writers are hyper aware of the game's history ...

Archived