Trade deadline is a month from today (March 4th)...

RayFinkle

Goaltending is contractually locked in.

I'm feeling pretty good about the team. Except they have a backup goalie, who, while he seems like a nice guy and a good influence in the locker room and all that, just doesn't win. Yes, the Sabres wilted against Anaheim. But if you look at the second and third goals, you gotta say those goals were Lalime's fault. And that's typical. Time to hang them up, Patrick.

Our trade deadline passed on August 1st, 2008.

Darcy has made real deadline deals in each of the previous 2 seasons (last year as a seller and the prior year as a buyer). If, as we approach the deadline, the Sabres have continued to play the way we've been playing for a solid month now, it will be 2 solid months of very good hockey. We'll be looking hard at a potentially real playoff run. In that scenario, I'd expect Darcy to bring in a forward. OTOH, if we start to slide, then we might be sellers, and we have some assets that playoff teams might be interested in -- and I'd expect Darcy to unload guys like Spacek, Kotalik, Connolly and Max in order to get picks or something else instead of losing them for nothing at the end of the season.

I still think we need depth at center. Connolly is playing well now and lets hope he keeps it up but if he, or Roy for that matter, goes down we are hurting down the middle. I mean we have players that will play there, but I think we are starting to see now what it is like when you have two playmaking centers on your first two lines. Going into the playoffs I just think we need someone, whether rental or not, that would give us some offensive or playmaking depth down the middle. Kind of like Zubrus was. He gave us some size and presence up front that was needed on that team in the playoffs. As for who that might be I would like them to see how much it would take to get comrie. I am not a huge fan, but I think that he would be a good safety net type of player for us in the playoffs. Others I would be interested in would be Reinprecht, Christenson, White.

Also the fantasy move I would love to see the Sabres make is to go get Stastny. I know it will never happen but I think he would be awesome in buffalo.

i thought Lalime was sharp versus the Ducks. He made a few great saves. The ones that went in where were there was alot of traffic and the pucks took a few odd bounces. For playing one game a month, he is doing okay. He aint the best backup -- but no team really has a starter as a backup-- in the national league.

the sabres might have been tired against the ducks, but all in all, they looked like a bunch of smurfs in the 2nd and 3rd periods. they could not penitrate the ducks blue line. they could not sustain and forecheck. they were flat. i think the ducks stood tall and played great, i think the sabres were indeed tired --- but i also think, and most importantly, that the sabres jsut dont have the horses to play at the level they will need to come playoff time. it was evident when the ducks went into another gear, that the sabres could not hang. same thing happened in calgary. guys like mair, paille, peters, weber, and others, looked like deer in the headlights. that is why regier needs to add some vet wingers. these vets know how to get pucks deep and get every drip of energy out of every shift. the 3rd and 4th lines need some fiber added to them.

I'm feeling pretty good about the team. Except they have a backup goalie, who, while he seems like a nice guy and a good influence in the locker room and all that, just doesn't win. Yes, the Sabres wilted against Anaheim. But if you look at the second and third goals, you gotta say those goals were Lalime's fault. And that's typical. Time to hang them up, Patrick.

Our trade deadline passed on August 1st, 2008.

How many teams have made significant trades so far this season?

Just a month ago, we've all been making ideas of who to get from the Stars, and now their right in the middle of the Western Conference playoff chase, and last i saw they were 5th. There just isn't that many sellers right now. I'd be shocked if we see any deals from now til the deadline. I mean, look at the West, everyone besides St Louis still thinks they have a chance at making the playoffs.

Reggie Dunlop, Ned Braden, Dave 'Killer' Carlson, Jeff Hanson, Steve Hanson, Jack Hanson, Johnny Upton, Denis Lemieux

Did I leave anyone out?

Ross "Mad Dog" Madison

Andre "Poodle" Lussier

Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown

Ogie Ogilthorpe

Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken

&

Tommy Hanrahan - "Hey Hanrahan! she's a !"

i thought Lalime was sharp versus the Ducks. He made a few great saves. The ones that went in where were there was alot of traffic and the pucks took a few odd bounces. For playing one game a month, he is doing okay.

I couldn't disagree more. The second and third goals against the Ducks should have been relatively easy saves. Especially the off-speed one that went through his legs. He was all spread out along the ice and it STILL got through. Totally his fault. And the third goal- he got 90% of it, but that last 10% killed the Sabres' chances to come back.

He aint the best backup -- but no team really has a starter as a backup-- in the national league.

The Red Wings do.

Ty Conklin- 16 W, 7 L, 1 OL; .915 Save Pct, 2.38 GA

Chris Osgood- 17 W, 4 L, 6 OL; .880 Save Pct, 3.29 GA

The Red Wings do.

Ty Conklin- 16 W, 7 L, 1 OL; .915 Save Pct, 2.38 GA

Chris Osgood- 17 W, 4 L, 6 OL; .880 Save Pct, 3.29 GA

They're just confused is all. Their starter has backup stats and their backup has starter stats. It's funny that Osgood has a worse save % and GAA than Lalime, but still has a 17-4-6 record versus Lalime's 2-7-1 record.

They're just confused is all. Their starter has backup stats and their backup has starter stats. It's funny that Osgood has a worse save % and GAA than Lalime, but still has a 17-4-6 record versus Lalime's 2-7-1 record.

That's what happens when guys in front of you DON'T poop the bed.....

I stand by my observation that while Lalime isn't great, our guys have left him out to dry more often than not. I hope this trend dies tomorrow night against the Sens.

That's what happens when guys in front of you DON'T poop the bed.....

I stand by my observation that while Lalime isn't great, our guys have left him out to dry more often than not. I hope this trend dies tomorrow night against the Sens.

Amen to that.

Offense has to show up when we are playing Lalime in net.

The confidence will feed both ways to benefit the whole.

the Senators will never be any more vulnerable.

Get it done...again.

Earn the points.

Climb the standings.

A different GM?

Damn!, you beat me to it

Like usual, it doesn't matter what their needs are. Regier may try to unload someone who's not going to re-sign as a FA and go and get some underachiever that they feel they can turn around and make the next star. If you want to know who they will go after at the deadline, draft picks for guys like Max and probably Paille (underperformers), and guys whos deals are up at the end of the year, and replace them with Portland Pirates. So the better question is who do you think the Sabres will Call up at the deadline this year?

Damn!, you beat me to it

Like usual, it doesn't matter what their needs are. Regier may try to unload someone who's not going to re-sign as a FA and go and get some underachiever that they feel they can turn around and make the next star. If you want to know who they will go after at the deadline, draft picks for guys like Max and probably Paille (underperformers), and guys whos deals are up at the end of the year, and replace them with Portland Pirates. So the better question is who do you think the Sabres will Call up at the deadline this year?

Missed your optimism. Where have you been? This team is playing its best hockey of the year and you still find time to bash Regier. Why aren't you defending Quinn at the same time?

Here is what I do at the deadline(assuming everyone is healthy)...

-Trade Kotalik for a slightly above average prospect(preferably a center) or a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Kotalik doesn't deserve to be on the 2nd line and I'm not keeping him just for the shootouts since there are none in the playoffs.

-Trade Max for any pick...at this point I'd even settle for the old "future considerations". If you can't trade him, put him on waivers and see what happens.

-Trade Tallinder for a playoff seasoned veteran forward(under contract for at least 09-10) to play on the 3rd or 4th line and a mid-round pick. Don't underestimate what a team would give up for a veteran blueliner like Tallinder.

I haven't really hurt the teams chances this season as I have given up two players who haven't played recently and a third who shows up once every 7 or 8 games. In return I get a couple of picks(or a pick and a prospect) and a vet forward to help steady the ship.

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Gaustad-(new forward acquired in trade)

Kaleta-Mair-Ellis

Spare forwards - Paille & Peters

Lydman-Sekera

Rivet-Spacek

Teppo-Butler

Spare dman - Paetsch

Missed your optimism. Where have you been? This team is playing its best hockey of the year and you still find time to bash Regier. Why aren't you defending Quinn at the same time?

New Job that doesn't allow me to spend all my time at work on this board. Add in finally moving into my house and it leads to very little time to spend around here.

Just because they have been playing well recently, it doesn't mean there still aren't things that are wrong, or that everything is just fine. And it doesn't mean that Regier will do anything different then what he has done in the past. I haven't defended Quinn, I just don't believe that he is the root of all that is evil like many others here do.

-Trade Kotalik for a slightly above average prospect(preferably a center) or a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Kotalik doesn't deserve to be on the 2nd line and I'm not keeping him just for the shootouts since there are none in the playoffs.

-Trade Max for any pick...at this point I'd even settle for the old "future considerations". If you can't trade him, put him on waivers and see what happens.

-Trade Tallinder for a playoff seasoned veteran forward(under contract for at least 09-10) to play on the 3rd or 4th line and a mid-round pick. Don't underestimate what a team would give up for a veteran blueliner like Tallinder.

I haven't really hurt the teams chances this season as I have given up two players who haven't played recently and a third who shows up once every 7 or 8 games. In return I get a couple of picks(or a pick and a prospect) and a vet forward to help steady the ship.

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Kaleta-Mair-Ellis

Lydman-Sekera

Rivet-Spacek

Teppo-Butler

Spare dman - Paetsch

Looking at some of the recent players ending up on Waivers recently, I don't think the Sabres could get anything, even future considerations for max unless the deal is for him on re-entry waivers so the teams will split the salary and cap hit. Even then that might be a stretch. I think he goes back to russia in the offseason to play next year.

The problem with your proposal for Tallinder is that the team needs an upgrade at defence more then an upgrade at forward if they want to do any damage come playoff time.

The biggest problem that the Sabres are going to face is that to get anything that is going to help them this season, they will need to give up something of value, or draft picks, not their garbage, and thats not something the current front office is really known for doing

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Kaleta-Mair-Ellis

Lydman-Sekera

Rivet-Spacek

Teppo-Butler

Spare dman - Paetsch

Clarke MacArthur can barley make it on the 3rd line, why would he play on the 2nd? Not only do we want the Roy/Pominville line to score goals, but we also put them up against the opponents top line.... that's why i'd keep Jochen Hecht on the wing with Roy and Pominville.

I do agree with your point though. This team MUST improve it's 3rd line. Our fourth line has it's ups and lows but for the most part, it does it's job. The third line, almost never does. If i was Buffalo, i'd offer up a pick, and either MacArthur or Paille and try to find a main stay for the 3rd line. And if we are to make a run for the playoffs, Kotalik should stay in Buffalo. Every point matters and his shootouts are tough to over look. It's not enough to warrant a extension IMO but to trade for pucks would be pretty stupid.

The only thing i will say about Tallinder is, i know he's been not playing all that well this season and has made some very big errors, however, ever since he left the lineup, our almost certain penalty kill has gone down the tubes. Could it be just a matter of time and coincidence that it's struggling now? Or does Tallinder have a big effect on the PK?

That said, Steven Reinprecht would be one player i'd love for Regier to look at. He can play wing if need be. He is quick, has 28 points this season and is very sound in his own zone. Best part of his 28pt is, most of them came on 5v5.

The only thing i will say about Tallinder is, i know he's been not playing all that well this season and has made some very big errors, however, ever since he left the lineup, our almost certain penalty kill has gone down the tubes. Could it be just a matter of time and coincidence that it's struggling now? Or does Tallinder have a big effect on the PK?

Tallinder has the second lowest SHTOI per game played of our six starting defensemen, ahead of only Numminen. Lydman has the most.

New Job that doesn't allow me to spend all my time at work on this board. Add in finally moving into my house and it leads to very little time to spend around here.

Just because they have been playing well recently, it doesn't mean there still aren't things that are wrong, or that everything is just fine. And it doesn't mean that Regier will do anything different then what he has done in the past. I haven't defended Quinn, I just don't believe that he is the root of all that is evil like many others here do.

Congrats on the new job and house.

Archived